User Avatar Image

Was anyone offended by the "Southern cannibal family" in episode 2?

posted by Robert Morgan on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

I'd like to pose this question to players from Texas, or any of the red states for that matter. Were you annoyed by the cannibal family seen in episode 2 with the St. Johns?

Most of us guessed something was going on with the St. Johns even before we got to the dairy, but I was secretly hoping it wouldn't turn out to be cannibalism. THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE was one of the first movies to really perpetuate this stereotype, and although it's considered to be a horror classic (for good reason), the idea of people from the South inevitably turning out to be flesh-eating psychos has apparently persisted in the public subconscious.

Telltale tried to mitigate this somewhat by painting the St. Johns as a genuinely educated family (proven by the high school diplomas and college degrees Lee sees framed in the hallway), suggesting these people weren't inclined to cannibalism before the zombie outbreak, but were driven to desperate measures by desperate circumstances. Nonetheless, the cliche is still there.

(I should add that "having an education" is no guarantee someone isn't a psychopath/sociopath. One reason Jack the Ripper slipped away was very possibly due to the pompous Victorian attitude that an "educated man" would never be capable of committing such atrocities.)

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I was offended by how obvious it was, I mean, come on, all "deep south backwater families" are cannibals... everyone knows that.

I live in Texas by the way.....

• That's stupid. We already met a southern family on a farm in episode 1 and Hershel didn't try to eat everyone. I'm from GA and didn't have the slightest problem with them. I've never once heard anyone reference the idea that southern people are cannibals. It's just some zombie apocalypse stuff.

• @fuzzyhook said: That's stupid. We already met a southern family on a farm in episode 1 and Hershel didn't try to eat everyone. I'm from GA and didn't have the slightest problem with them. I've never once heard anyone reference the idea that southern people are cannibals. It's just some zombie apocalypse stuff.

Great point.

• Every character in the game is a southerner

why would these ones in particular be offensive

• Because they're cannibals, silly.

It sets them apart.... from.... y'know.. all those other things that eat people...... or something.

• @DreadMagus said: Because they're cannibals, silly.

It sets them apart.... from.... y'know.. all those other things that eat people...... or something.

Okay, I'm sorry I asked!

Sheesh, I wasn't trying to be a prude. :rolleyes:

• Don't be sorry.

I stand by my original answer, sarcastic as it was.

The first eight words of it are absolute truth. Might be one of the reasons Episode 2 is my least favorite.

• TWD is set in Georgia. Therefore they are southerners. You can't expect them to live in Georgia and magically have a foreign accent. It's down to probability. They live in Georgia, therefore they are likely to be from Georgia.

• We are from Texas specifically, so I really do understand the question and the annoyance perfectly. But I don't think it applies here.

What I'm annoyed by are movies like House of Wax, where these smart, sexy college kids stumble into this backwoods southern unspecified area where everyone is stupid, racist, sexist, and, don't forget, at least 50 and ugly as sin. :P (And usually rock the evil-Christian vibe!) These brave, young, unsuspecting folk (depending on movie) get raped and eaten, slowly tortured to death, all that kind of junk, and in the end, at least one set of silicone walks out alive to tell the tale.

I thought that the St. Johns were very believable and that TTG did the story line very well. I didn't get The Hills Have Eyes/House of Wax/Chainsaw Massacre vibe from them at all. I mean, yeah, they're fucked up and it was creepy and we pretty much figured they were cannibals from the start, but TTG did it right.
    It wasn't a bunch of young punks defeating an evil that has been there since the start of time. There weren't unnecessary racial slurs and rape scenes stuffed in between their arrival and dinner.
    Hell, if such a thing could be called as much, I would say that TellTale did it classy, haha!

While I am annoyed by the stereotype perpetuated by movies, I can't lay blame on TTG for going this route. There WOULD be cannibalism in any sort of apocalypse. And the fact that these were people all around the same age, various genders and backgrounds, and all from the south, really take away most of the objections I could have had with it. :)

Add Comment