User Avatar Image

Why I hate The Walking Dead

posted by quatrog on - last edited - Viewed by 769 users

1.You are forced to be with a character(Clementine). From the very start I was looking for an opportunity to dump Clementine but no, she as a little girl is suppose to be sooo cute and vulnerable and valuable(barf)!
The only opportunity to dump her was in the last episode when that doctor gave you an offer but if you accept that offer the game just completely ignores it.
And not to mention that your forced obsession with Clementine causes the deaths of most of your party.

2.You have absolutely no say in who you get to save or not, there are no realistic persuasion dialog branches and the key moments are completely contrived and again forced upon you(like when Lee gets to be bitten but the game disables the obvious means of preventing it, even if you played it for the first time).
This means that all the feeling of owning a game and having any kind of progression is completely lost.

To summarize, this game is false advertising. All of it is an illusion of choice and it is even barely an interactive story telling.

It is absolutely unacceptable that such a sham of a game got any awards at all.

23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh no, clueless children are starting with the troll nonsense. Aren't there any moderators here?

• @quatrog said: Oh no, clueless children are starting with the troll nonsense. Aren't there any moderators here?

mj-laughing.gif

j-jonah-jameson-laughing-o.gif

hyde-laughing-o.gif

• I didn't mind Clementine, but I've already seen Daddy/daughter narratives many times, so I didn't like the fact that I was the father figure. I wish I could've been a young adult instead so Clementine would have been like a little sister or a companion instead of a little girl I have to take care of and play daddy...

Even though I liked Lee character

• Criticism is fine, but constructive criticism is much better. You seem to be dishing out the former, with no real explanation or suggestions to back up your criticism.

• @Mornai said: Criticism is fine, but constructive criticism is much better. You seem to be dishing out the former, with no real explanation or suggestions to back up your criticism.

Who are you talking to?

• @quatrog said: Who are you talking to?

Well...you. As you can clearly see, most of the posts here aren't taking you seriously. You should have mentioned the comparison to the way other RPGs such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect worked in your first post, but you left it at "game sucks cause no choices".

What does it do wrong, and how can it do better. Leaving it with the first point just makes you seem like you're coming on here solely to bash and throw insults. And if you are...well...okay then.

• @quatrog said: What this game needed to make it your own were some RPG survival elements and progression of your own making similar to Dragon Age Origins or Mass Effect(for example in ME2 you had complete control over everyone's survival if you employed logical thinking and payed attention to what had been said in conversations with all of them).
    Lacking that everything feels forced and pointless.

You might as well be watching the movie or TV show.

It's not even an illusion of a choice, it's an illusion of a game.

In my opinion this is exactly what this game wouldn't have needed. The Walking Dead is an adventure game, not a role playing game and was never intended as such. In the classical adventures like Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Maniac Mansion etc., each and every player would have the exact same experience no matter how they played it(only the frustration levels varied). However, there was no YouTube at that time, even the internet was close to inexistent, so people wouldn't watch all the possibilities around and then complain on similarities. Gamers would play the game for themselves and enjoy the illusion created - maybe you should try that approach next time around.

• The thing about this game is: You love it, because it works for you, or you absolutely hate it, because it doesn't, there is no inbetween, it either works - or not, that just depends on what type of games people prefer.

But still Mornai is right, saying something sucks is easy, but if you think it does, you must have concrete reasons for it, just name those reasons and tell what TellTale could do better next time, I understand, that you hate the thing, that Clementine is forced upon the player, that you don't have the choice to ditch her, and that you don't like the limited amount of choices and their low impact on the further storyline, tell us how they could've done it better, and maybe they regard your opinion, working on season 2...
    Constructive criticism ftw! ;)

• @quatrog said: Who are you talking to?

(S)he was talking to you, obviously, since your "criticisms" come off as the rants of a hyperactive child of the troll variety.

If you really want to be taken seriously, take a less adversarial stance.

Add Comment