User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 92.6K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@divisionten said: It doesn't right? I thought it actually gets more dense because you're just boilign off the water.

No, it actually does, but far slower than you'd assume. If you just boil your sauce a couple of minutes, 85% of the alcohol you pour in remains. After HALF AN HOUR of boiling, you're still at 35%.

I usually abstain from alcohol completely, those bits of wine are the only alcohol I in fact consume. So people kind of feel compelled in my presence to present the urban legend that alcohol just up and leaves as soon as the first bubbles emerge on the sauce's surface. Not true. :(

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@Vainamoinen said: No, it actually does, but far slower than you'd assume. If you just boil your sauce a couple of minutes, 85% of the alcohol you pour in remains. After HALF AN HOUR of boiling, you're still at 35%.

I usually abstain from alcohol completely, those bits of wine are the only alcohol I in fact consume. So people kind of feel compelled in my presence to present the urban legend that alcohol just up and leaves as soon as the first bubbles emerge on the sauce's surface. Not true. :(

That's what I thought. The other argument is that you use so little alcohol to food ratio that the amount of alcohol consumed in one serving of the dish is minimal, hence the "boiling off" theory.

• Oh man. I knew a Mormon family who loved making wine based sauces, but literally would cook the stuff for a day straight or of paranoia. Heh.

• Well, two of the three people I e-mailed responded very positively, which was very, very relieving. The third rarely checks his e-mails, so who knows when he'll answer. He should be fine. If not, I have footage of him in a maids outfit publicly available on youtube.

It's actually quite refreshing knowing they know for certain now. And that's all of my closest friends accounted for. My other friends should be fine if I decide to tell them in due course. With the possible exception of one, who recently said that she "didn't approve" of the lesbian engagement of two former classmates. But she'll hopefully warm to the idea. If not, I can blame her for dressing me up in a skirt!:p

• @Friar said: I received my umpteenth response from Nottingham uni, telling me that I've got a place there. I applied in 2011 for a defferred entry. I've had the grades I needed since February 2012, but they like to keep reminding me. Oh well.

Anyway, congratulations on your offer! Where else did you apply to, and what to do? I applied to study Computer Science at Nottingham, Cardiff, Portsmouth and Aberystwyth. I looked at Westminister when I was studying my first lot of AS's back in 2008. It looked awesome, but I didn't think I could afford London.

I've applied to Westminster, Metropolitan, City & Goldsmiths, all in London as well as Teesside as a local backup option. The cost of me living in London will be eased by the fact that I'll be living with my brother. I'm going for a degree in computer games programming, or the equivalent course, a course I first tried to complete from 2007 to 2010 but totally messed up the final year. I intend to rectify that over the next 3 to 4 years.

I'm glad that it looks like I'll be moving as it'll give me a fresh start at a new place.

• @corruptbiggins said: I've applied to Westminster, Metropolitan, City & Goldsmiths, all in London as well as Teesside as a local backup option. The cost of me living in London will be eased by the fact that I'll be living with my brother. I'm going for a degree in computer games programming, or the equivalent course, a course I first tried to complete from 2007 to 2010 but totally messed up the final year. I intend to rectify that over the next 3 to 4 years.

I'm glad that it looks like I'll be moving as it'll give me a fresh start at a new place.

That's quite a way you're moving, if Teesside is local, about twice the distance I'll be moving. I'm from A small town in rural Wiltshire, whose only claim to fame is that there was once a bacon factory. And Oxygen was discovered here too, but for some reason people think the bacon is more important (seriously, the pigs got a statue and a place on the welcome sign. He has a graffiti'd plaque in a grotty stream in front of a supermarket.)

Being able to start a fresh was a big part in my choice of universities. Nottingham was about as far north as I could go without having to deal with comments of how I'm near my northern relatives and should visit. But they all hate eachother, so if I visit one, I'd have to visit them all to avoid causing upset, and they don't live near eachother (50 miles between each group, stretching from Blackpool all the way up to Ayrshire in Scotland, which would bankrupt any student!

The only daunting prospect is that I don't know anyone who's even been to Nottingham (other than myself or my mother for an Open Day or two), let alone anyone who lives there. Ah well, I assume plenty of people will be in the same boat.

• So Ron Gilbert left Double Fine.

• @DAISHI said: So Ron Gilbert left Double Fine.

That's fine.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• @Friar said: That's fine.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It's not fine. It's double fine.

Also Peta seems to protest the image the Zerg have in the StarCraft series. Remember kids: Fictional aliens that are killing fictional humans have feelings too.
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals have asked video gamers to remember that pan-galactic alien death monsters "have feelings, too".

• Apparently people haven't been paying enough attention to them as of late.

This discussion has been closed.