User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 126.4K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Giant Tope said: Apparently people haven't been paying enough attention to them as of late.


    Better not let them see your avatar. That's an example of animal abuse, depriving a rabbit of its pancakes. There is no sin more evil.

  • @Friar said: That's quite a way you're moving, if Teesside is local, about twice the distance I'll be moving. I'm from A small town in rural Wiltshire, whose only claim to fame is that there was once a bacon factory. And Oxygen was discovered here too, but for some reason people think the bacon is more important (seriously, the pigs got a statue and a place on the welcome sign. He has a graffiti'd plaque in a grotty stream in front of a supermarket.)

    Being able to start a fresh was a big part in my choice of universities. Nottingham was about as far north as I could go without having to deal with comments of how I'm near my northern relatives and should visit. But they all hate eachother, so if I visit one, I'd have to visit them all to avoid causing upset, and they don't live near eachother (50 miles between each group, stretching from Blackpool all the way up to Ayrshire in Scotland, which would bankrupt any student!

    The only daunting prospect is that I don't know anyone who's even been to Nottingham (other than myself or my mother for an Open Day or two), let alone anyone who lives there. Ah well, I assume plenty of people will be in the same boat.

    Aye it is, and that's part of the adventure. Hell I'm 31 and the furthest I've lived away from home (a small resort town in what used to be Cleveland and is now technically North Yorkshire) is under 20 miles (which makes moving 250 miles like a trip down the street). That was when I lived in Middlesbrough for 6 months and got depressed and lonely. Still I was only 19 at the time. I've been in a rut here for over 10 years, excepting the two years at Teesside University that I did well at.

    I'm grateful that I've got someone to live with, though if I didn't I might have enquired into student accommodation, though reluctantly as I'm not sure how I'd be living with people I didn't know. Most of my family live in this area so the over 500 mile round trip does mean that I'd probably only see them during holiday periods but then again my parents lived in Cyprus for pretty much the whole of my twenties so it shouldn't really bother me too much once I get settled in.

  • @corruptbiggins said: Aye it is, and that's part of the adventure. Hell I'm 31 and the furthest I've lived away from home (a small resort town in what used to be Cleveland and is now technically North Yorkshire) is under 20 miles (which makes moving 250 miles like a trip down the street). That was when I lived in Middlesbrough for 6 months and got depressed and lonely. Still I was only 19 at the time. I've been in a rut here for over 10 years, excepting the two years at Teesside University that I did well at.

    I'm grateful that I've got someone to live with, though if I didn't I might have enquired into student accommodation, though reluctantly as I'm not sure how I'd be living with people I didn't know. Most of my family live in this area so the over 500 mile round trip does mean that I'd probably only see them during holiday periods but then again my parents lived in Cyprus for pretty much the whole of my twenties so it shouldn't really bother me too much once I get settled in.

    Well, I'm only 21, and haven't lived away from home yet, but I'm sure I'll cope. I'm actually more worried about how on Earth my family will manage to solve their various computer related woes without me. And also fitting in with the other students in my accomodation, given that I don't exactly fit student culture (for one, I rarely drink, and you'll never find me in any nightclub!), but I'm sure I'll settle in.

    I'll probably only see my family over the course of the holiday periods too, although with the money I've saved up over the past year, I could probably afford a trip or two down to see them (Two train trips and a bus trip, via London eachway, about £60 I think.). Or convince them to come up and stay in a holiday cottage or something nearby. Nottingham has lots of nice walks and things for the dog, and there's plenty of stuff to do in the area.

  • Who would win?
    Aunt May

    aunt-may-sticky.jpg

    VS

    Thanos
    machoman_thanos.jpeg

  • I kinda want to play Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions.

  • @der_ketzer said: It's not fine. It's double fine.


    Also Peta seems to protest the image the Zerg have in the StarCraft series. Remember kids: Fictional aliens that are killing fictional humans have feelings too.
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals have asked video gamers to remember that pan-galactic alien death monsters "have feelings, too".

    Can I just point out that the zerg literally do not have feelings, mostly as a computer program, but as a race they don't have feelings.

  • @Friar said: I'm actually more worried about how on Earth my family will manage to solve their various computer related woes without me.

    I just had to quote that bit 'cos it's so true! I'm at my parents at least twice a week fixing some computer or smart phone problem or some other IT related task. Just this morning I was round there to help my mam scan a document and e-mail it to my brother.

    I'll be doing tech support via phone/e-mail/skype when I move, I just know it.

  • @corruptbiggins said: I just had to quote that bit 'cos it's so true! I'm at my parents at least twice a week fixing some computer or smart phone problem or some other IT related task. Just this morning I was round there to help my mam scan a document and e-mail it to my brother.

    I'll be doing tech support via phone/e-mail/skype when I move, I just know it.


    I'll probably make a bunch of step by step lists. (If the internet goes wibbly, try this. To change an Ink cartridge do this.). And then stick this to the wall in the study.

  • @Friar said: I'll probably make a bunch of step by step lists. (If the internet goes wibbly, try this. To change an Ink cartridge do this.). And then stick this to the wall in the study.

    Good idea!

  • @JordyLicht said: Why is there a need for a pope? ... Isn't it about time we cancel the whole thing?

    @JordyLicht said: They already thought that once. That's why we have Protestants.

    Hebrews 4:14-16
    Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

    1 Timothy 2:5-6
    For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all

    Matthew 27:50-51
    And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.

    The veil to the innermost part of the temple (called the holy of holies), where only the high priest could go and then only once per year, was torn when Jesus died. This is a symbol that His sacrifice has bridged the gap between us and God. In Jesus, believers are all priests and so can come to Him freely without need for such as a Pope.

This discussion has been closed.