User Avatar Image

The Last Item You Purchased?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 24.5K users

What was it? Whether it was a packet of chips, a video game, a CD, a magazine, a gun, a flower, a yacht or an island, post it here.

My most recent purchase was a CD - Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence".

5.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

    A 5M HDMI cable so I can connect my PC to my TV and use it as a second monitor without having a shorter cable draped across my bed being easily dislodged and looking a mess.

    Oh, and Dreamfall Chapters, if that counts - they took their $20 today, so...

  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

    Kim_Jung_Gibooks.jpg
    (image taken from parkablogs.com; actual books to arrive next week or the week after)

    KIM JUNG GI 2007 & 2011 SKETCHBOOKS!!! *convincing fangirl swoon*



    Not tellin' how much this cost me. I promised myself to be less crazy careful with my money in 2013 regardless of ample reasons for saving up, and heeeeeeeeeere we go. Methinks I'm good at spending money.

  • the-black-cauldron_.jpg
    £3 in Asda. It would be a crime not to buy it.

    And none of my family even recognised it. Neither did the cashier, which is a shame because it's such an awesome film. Not really a disney film though.

    Oh, and I used the reward points inside to top up my balance and get
    -Robin-Hood-(Most-Wanted-Edition).jpg
    Which was by far my favourite film growing up. Heck, it probably even influenced my uni choice.

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    Both those movies get flack because they were made during the rough years at the Disney Animation Studio between Disney's death and the Disney Renaissance.

    Both have their issues (Robin Hood's being a large re-use of animation from The Jungle Book (which doesn't bother me personally) and The Black Cauldron's mostly being the pacing issues due to so much material being cut from the final release), but they're both really good films.

    Does the 25th anniversary release of The Black Cauldron have any of the deleted scenes on the disc? I'd love to see the stuff that was cut, although most probably will never be released since the cuts were made to make the movie more family friendly (and I doubt Disney would want them on a disc marketed as such).

  • @Jennifer said: Both those movies get flack because they were made during the rough years at the Disney Animation Studio between Disney's death and the Disney Renaissance.

    Both have their issues (Robin Hood's being a large re-use of animation from The Jungle Book (which doesn't bother me personally) and The Black Cauldron's mostly being the pacing issues due to so much material being cut from the final release), but they're both really good films.

    Does the 25th anniversary release of The Black Cauldron have any of the deleted scenes on the disc? I'd love to see the stuff that was cut, although most probably will never be released since the cuts were made to make the movie more family friendly (and I doubt Disney would want them on a disc marketed as such).


    I don't think it did have the deleted scenes in, unless they were actually put into the main feature (which seems unlikely, as it was only 70-something minutes long.). I ripped the feature from the disc to put on my tablet, So i never actually saw the menu to browse the extras, but I don't remember seeing anything on the box about it.

    The black Cauldron is a weird disney film, in that it doesn't have any musical numbers whatsoever, or even a romance. Not really. It could easily have been mistaken as a film by another company. It feels like a generic RPG, and has more in common with non-disney films like "The Secret of Nimh" then the likes of "The sword in the stone".

    Robin Hood on the other hand was an amazing disney film. I watched it so much I wore out the VHS tape. It also inspired a young me to write a letter to the then Prime Minister Tony Blair asking him to ban fox hunting. My dad then claimed to have faxed it, but how he'd have the PMs Fax code, I have no idea. We did get a response though, so i guess it must have gone somewhere...

    Also, no kid cares about re-used animations. Robin Hood had a fat dancing chicken! Far better than a fat dancing bear. But yeah, I loved it far more than any other disney films. And I grew up in the time when the likes of "Pocahantas" "Mulan" and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" were coming out in cinemas. In fact, I even vaguely remember The Lion King coming out on VHS. (Coming home and finding my mother had bought it. Being scared by the Space Mountain advert at the beginning.)

  • This past week, I've picked up all 8 Harry Potter movies on DVD for a grand total of $40. Oh,, and Sherlock Holmes 2 for $10.

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    @Friar said: The black Cauldron is a weird disney film, in that it doesn't have any musical numbers whatsoever, or even a romance. Not really. It could easily have been mistaken as a film by another company. It feels like a generic RPG, and has more in common with non-disney films like "The Secret of Nimh" then the likes of "The sword in the stone".


    Interestingly, the studio interference on The Black Cauldron is what caused Don Bluth to leave Disney to make his own films. Since The Secret of Nimh was the first feature film that Don Bluth Productions made after Don Bluth quit The Black Cauldron animation team, it's not surprising that the two films would be stylistically and thematically similar.

  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

    @Friar said:

    Oh, and I used the reward points inside to top up my balance and get
    -Robin-Hood-(Most-Wanted-Edition).jpg




    Gotta look up the German dub and buy it as well. Reinhard Mey as Allan-a-dale... ahhhhhh sweet memories.

  • @Vainamoinen said: Gotta look up the German dub and buy it as well. Reinhard Mey as Allan-a-dale... ahhhhhh sweet memories.


    I've always wondered how true foreign dubs are to the original songs. Afterall, literal translations have got to be thrown out the window if they hope to have any semblance of the original's tune to them. I've looked up "Not in Nottingham" which is about the only song I can remember from the film. It seems to be a pretty accurate translation, but then my German is lousy these days, and It's a very slow song.

    Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious must have been pretty hard to do.

Add Comment