User Avatar Image

Was anyone offended by the "Southern cannibal family" in episode 2?

posted by Robert Morgan on - last edited - Viewed by 1.0K users

I'd like to pose this question to players from Texas, or any of the red states for that matter. Were you annoyed by the cannibal family seen in episode 2 with the St. Johns?

Most of us guessed something was going on with the St. Johns even before we got to the dairy, but I was secretly hoping it wouldn't turn out to be cannibalism. THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE was one of the first movies to really perpetuate this stereotype, and although it's considered to be a horror classic (for good reason), the idea of people from the South inevitably turning out to be flesh-eating psychos has apparently persisted in the public subconscious.

Telltale tried to mitigate this somewhat by painting the St. Johns as a genuinely educated family (proven by the high school diplomas and college degrees Lee sees framed in the hallway), suggesting these people weren't inclined to cannibalism before the zombie outbreak, but were driven to desperate measures by desperate circumstances. Nonetheless, the cliche is still there.

(I should add that "having an education" is no guarantee someone isn't a psychopath/sociopath. One reason Jack the Ripper slipped away was very possibly due to the pompous Victorian attitude that an "educated man" would never be capable of committing such atrocities.)

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Personally, I think the St. Johns were poorly done.

    3 months just isn't enough time to go the route they did.... unless they started day one or were a "Backwoods cannibal family" before the walkers started walking... which is what I think their history was.

    They're just too well adjusted as a group.....

  • @DreadMagus said: Personally, I think the St. Johns were poorly done.

    3 months just isn't enough time to go the route they did.... unless they started day one or were a "Backwoods cannibal family" before the walkers started walking... which is what I think their history was.

    They're just too well adjusted as a group.....



    Maybe they had plans for it before the apocalypse but never had a chance to do so(because law was still around and such).

    I read a story about this guy who was a cannibal but got away with it to this day because of some loophole in the law in his country. Not sure if it's true or not, but it could show that people already have these ideas in mind and the apocalypse is the perfect opportunity to execute them.

  • @DreadMagus said: Personally, I think the St. Johns were poorly done.

    3 months just isn't enough time to go the route they did.... unless they started day one or were a "Backwoods cannibal family" before the walkers started walking... which is what I think their history was.

    They're just too well adjusted as a group.....



    Man, I guess I just totally disagree. The vibe I got from them is that they would've never considered eating human meat until they were basically forced into trading it to the bandits. Three months can be a long time, especially if it all goes straight to shit on day 1.

    I don't know, I just wasn't offended by any of it and I lived my whole childhood pretty close to Macon.

  • @fuzzyhook said: Man, I guess I just totally disagree. The vibe I got from them is that they would've never considered eating human meat until they were basically forced into trading it to the bandits. Three months can be a long time, especially if it all goes straight to shit on day 1.

    I don't know, I just wasn't offended by any of it and I lived my whole childhood pretty close to Macon.



    I didn't really have a problem with it. That rugby team that crashed in the Andes had to resort to cannibalism to survive after a few days. That was a much more dire situation, but then they didn't have this guy with them...


    Danstjohn.png


    I'm pretty sure Danny not only talked Brenda and Andy into eating people, I'm convinced he's wanted to try it for the longest time. He apparently stuffed Brenda's cat as a mother's day gift and was probably already a sicko before the end. Brenda and Andy both have a very mundane attitude towards fucking eating people where as Danny seems to celebrate it. He actually seems to get excited about the idea of Lee eating him.

    I figured sometime in the confusion and chaos that followed the outbreak the St. Johns lost almost all their livestock, ran out of meat, and in the process of burying their dead farmhands and what not Danny either brought up the idea of butchering their dead or just went ahead and did without telling Andy and Brenda.

    It probably did start with people who really were dying, and then people who were probably going to die... and then just whoever they could find. At least one doctor has said cannibalism can actually be addicting, so if Danny prodded the other St. Johns into it it's not hard for me to believe they became fixated on it.

  • I find your typed post offensive to people who don't have arms. I also find your mentality offensive to infants, because they can't understand you. Your reference to texas chainsaw massacre is offensive to people who won chainsaws. Also, I find this offensive, because I eat human flesh and live in the south.

  • @fuzzyhook said: Man, I guess I just totally disagree. The vibe I got from them is that they would've never considered eating human meat until they were basically forced into trading it to the bandits. Three months can be a long time, especially if it all goes straight to shit on day 1.

    I don't know, I just wasn't offended by any of it and I lived my whole childhood pretty close to Macon.



    I wasn't offended, I honestly don't give two anal expulsions - but I thought it was poorly written.

    They had a farm - I doubt their entire stock of food and supplies disappeared day one. My grandparents were farmers - they had enough canned goods and supplies on hand to last months if need-be. I'll assume the St Johns would have done the same.

    Something doesn't add up.

  • @DreadMagus said: I wasn't offended, I honestly don't give two anal expulsions - but I thought it was poorly written.

    They had a farm - I doubt their entire stock of food and supplies disappeared day one. My grandparents were farmers - they had enough canned goods and supplies on hand to last months if need-be. I'll assume the St Johns would have done the same.

    Something doesn't add up.



    They need gas, and they need it every day. Rather than waste time only searching for it themselves, they take it from people who have already stockpiled the gas in exchange for the only renewable commodity they have - food. They always need gas, and so always give what food they don't eat away.

    That could explain how their food stores quickly dropped over time.

  • Plus, you know, the bandits were taking their food.

  • I doubt the bandits had taken anything - otherwise why attack as they did from teh safety of the trees.

    I doubt the St Johns were victims in any way - and just used the bandits.

  • @DreadMagus said: I doubt the bandits had taken anything - otherwise why attack as they did from teh safety of the trees.

    I doubt the St Johns were victims in any way - and just used the bandits.



    They say the bandits killed a lot of their farmhands in their early encounters, so they would probably continue to be harassed(like Lee's group in ep 3) unless a deal of some sorts was made. Though the bandits were probably still getting conned by getting human meat, the St. Johns weren't free from injuries.

Add Comment