941 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @tbm1986 said: I do wish Poker Night 1 had sold better. I was really looking forward to Murder at the Inventory.

Poker Night 1 did amazing in sales. Here is some partial sales data of TF2 users who bought the game: http://stats.tf/item/294/The_Lugermorph

The "unique" (yellow pie chart) Lugermorph was unlocked to those who beat Max. The Lugermorph is then given to use in Team Fortress 2. About 153,000 TF2 players bought the game. We didn't even factor in the regular sales of people who bought the game and don't play TF2.

I'm thinking Murder at the Inventory didn't get made b/c they were busy working on something else or had Poker Night 2 being developed.

• @sandumanu said: Poker Night 1 did amazing in sales. Here is some partial sales data of TF2 users who bought the game: http://stats.tf/item/294/The_Lugermorph

The "unique" (yellow pie chart) Lugermorph was unlocked to those who beat Max. The Lugermorph is then given to use in Team Fortress 2. About 153,000 TF2 players bought the game. We didn't even factor in the regular sales of people who bought the game and don't play TF2.

I'm thinking Murder at the Inventory didn't get made b/c they were busy working on something else or had Poker Night 2 being developed.

I'm going to add a bit of math to what you put there. I checked the global gameplay stats and have seen that slightly less than 2/3rds of players who own the game have beaten Max.

The sales numbers on the Steam side are therefore a bit over 200k as far as anyone can tell, something like 206k-ish.

If the rumors hold true (and the filenames of the promos in TF2 don't lie), on top of that press release from late last year.. well, I'm up for another round at the Inventory if you guys are.

I still remember the stuff shared about the characters' playing AI and stuff, can't wait to see how that's been adjusted.

• I'm mostly curious about why it's five characters this time around instead of just four. Are we getting a more crowded table this time? Or is there something more interesting going on here?

I know a lot of people asked for multiplayer in the previous game, and while I wasn't one of those people(I like the singleplayer, conversational-focused formula they've got here), I could see them doing something with that.

I'm also expecting a higher price point than $5 this time around. At least $10, maybe $15. I doubt it would get as high as $20, considering what the game is. But $10 for a bigger, better Poker Night is totally fine.

• @KelpPlankton said: I'm mostly curious about why it's five characters this time around instead of just four. Are we getting a more crowded table this time? Or is there something more interesting going on here?

I know a lot of people asked for multiplayer in the previous game, and while I wasn't one of those people(I like the singleplayer, conversational-focused formula they've got here), I could see them doing something with that.

I'm also expecting a higher price point than $5 this time around. At least $10, maybe $15. I doubt it would get as high as $20, considering what the game is. But $10 for a bigger, better Poker Night is totally fine.

There's a lot of expensive IPs in this. Venture Bros from Cartoon Network, Evil Dead, Portal, and Borderlands 2. I'm guessing the price point is going to be $15. $20 if with multiplayer.

I'm kinda sad there's no indication of Marty McFly in this one.

• Marty wouldn't be much of a poker player. Biff would be the best BTTF option, but without the guy who played him in the movies voicing him, there's not much of a point to him being a guest star in this.

I liked the choices in the first because they all made sense for different reasons- Heavy obviously would be into playing poker, Max is the type to eagerly participate but not have any idea what he's doing regardless of the game it is, Strongbad would be all up ons a poker game because he believes he's great at anything tough guys do. And Tycho has a whole "I'm better than anyone at any game" thing that comes across pretty well in Poker Night.

That's why I'm hoping we're getting Handsome Jack as our Borderlands 2 guy- he's got a great personality to play poker against, and his AI practically writes itself(big, overconfident bets and bluffs, panic and poor decisions when he begins to lose).

• Note: I'm going to post only once in this forum just for let y'all know what's going on, so don't bother replying.

Yes, Poker Night 2 is officially available on Steam but not released yet. The Steam API has confirmed it: http://steamdb.info/sub/26360/

As you can see, we will be able to have a sort of pre-order early access thing.

I'm going to list the possible characters that we will find in PN2:

-Handsome Jack
    -Claptrap
    -Chell + PotatOS
    -Devil Ash
    -Sam
    -Brock Samson

Release date? Probably during PAX, which is next week.

That's all we know for now.

EDIT: Poker Night 2's Steam AppID gave me the opportunity to find the official group http://steamcommunity.com/games/234710
    it's going live in a week or so.

• I was wondering how long it would take for that appID info to pop up. Looking forward to finding out what the preorder bonus is, since it doesn't look like they added a TF2 item specifically to be one when they added everything else?

• Well i think its going to be Weatley who would be there for Portal, Chell can't talk so she can't really have jokes and GladOs would not really be that much fun since she would be insulting players. Don't get me wrong she is funny but i liked Weatley better.

• Plus, Wheatly would act as the stupid player, the one whose personality leads him to make a lot of silly high bets or bluffs.

• I'd honestly more see Wheatley having Max's AI, where technically he actually is a good player but his aggression ends up entirely random between hands so he makes some pretty silly mistakes at whim despite being technically as skilled as whoever turns out the smartest.

Assuming, of course, we'll be seeing him. I would be very happy to see GLaDOS, especially if we end up with Claptrap.

I imagine the TTG guys must be kind of groaning about having such early hints showing up to the forefront though.

Add Comment