User Avatar Image

Less of the living, more of the dead in S2

posted by Robert Morgan on - last edited - Viewed by 582 users

Something I noticed while flipping through the latest comic issue of THE WALKING DEAD is that the living tend to be a much greater threat to Rick's group than the actual zombies. Kirkman probably intended this to be ironic, but when story after story tends to be less about humans vs. zombies and more about humans just being assholes to one another, the title of the series starts becoming a little redundant.

Look, I get it: When the system goes belly-up, most people would probably exploit a lawless world to their own ends rather than trying to re-establish civilization. This isn't anything new in the zombie genre. Hell, the group in Romero's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD basically fucked themselves over because they were unable to work together as a team.

But we're not dealing with a feature film, we're dealing with a story stretched out over multiple episodes. Having selfish/desperate humans act as the antagonists chapter after chapter can become even more depressing and dreary for the player than dealing with hordes of the undead.

I'd personally like to see the next season take place further along the WD timeline, where there are almost no living humans left (at least within driving distance) aside from your little group, and the only outside menace you need to worry about is the menace responsible for the apocalypse in the first place. It would make the atmosphere twice as intense and claustrophobic, IMO - almost more like Romero's original movies than anything made after 28 DAYS LATER.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.

40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The Walking Dead- People arguing... and sometimes zombies show up x)

• Buen punto (Perdóname por lo del otro día es que me enoje de leer tantas babosadas)
    Yo hable de este punto hace mucho tiempo incluso me pusieron una foto donde me lanzan por la ventana si soy yo el que predigo el número 108 y le atino en todo, se ha vuelto repetitivo incluso fantasiosos de donde sacas comida para alimentar un tigre, ¿Sabes cuanto comen los tigres por día?, como sea ya no comprare la revista , solamente el juego, es difícil de creer que la humanidad escoja siempre lo peor, nunca nos apoyamos es triste pero real, yo saque una teoría sobre el método de contagio, ondas de baja frecuencia, sean dado cuenta que todos los que se convierten en zombis están cerca de las Atenas de recepción, cuando están lejos tardan hasta más de un día en transformarse incluso más, se muestra en la serie de Televisión como el comic, mientras más cerca de un receptor se transforma casi instantáneamente, lo di a conocer públicamente para que fuera utilizado como idea para cambiar el giro del comic, porque lo dijo un cuerpo muerto por sí solo no se mueve, si le pones una carga eléctrica este funciona sea demostrado que si mandas frecuencias de bajo impacto dirigido al cerebelo (El cerebelo se encarga de las funciones motrices del cuerpo),intacto este reacciona y produce la carga eléctrica que necesita el cuerpo para moverse (el cerebro sigue muerto), es un hecho real no es cuento se ha probado científicamente, que no permitan estos experimentos en otro rollo.
    Si colocaran este material le darías un giro a la historia, ya no tendrías que sacrificar personajes solamente a los villanos, y te enfocarías en los zombis como una aventura de recuperar terreno perdido, sería más humano, el comic se perdió la única esperanza es el juego darle una última oportunidad de revivir el género y a los fanáticos, el escritor no me escucho, telltales tomo dos de mis publicaciones y las mostro al público como alguien que aporto, pero no sé si tomo mi libreto, no quiero fama ni nada de eso, con que Clementine salga viva con una familia cuerda y decente o inclusive un personaje similar al mío es que me puse en el libreto como su defensor me doy por bien servido.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxGood point (sorry about the other day is that I get angry reading so many crap)
    I discuss this point long ago I even got a photo of me thrown out the window if I who predict the number 108 and got it right at all, he has become stale even fantasy where you get food to feed a tiger? You know how tigers eat per day?, as already will not buy the magazine, but the game is hard to believe that humanity always choose the worst, we rely is never sad but true, I pull out a theory of the method of transmission , low frequency waves, are aware that all who become zombies are near Athens reception when away take up more than one day become even more shows in the TV series as the comic, the closer a receiver is transformed almost instantaneously, I announced publicly that it was used as an idea to change the rotation of the comic, because he said a dead body itself does not move, if you put an electric charge this works be shown that if you send low-impact frequencies led to the cerebellum (The cerebellum is responsible for motor functions of the body), it reacts and produces intact electrical charge needed by the body to move (the brain is dead), is real story is not scientifically proven, that these experiments do not allow another roll.
    If you placed this material you give a twist to the story, and you would not have to sacrifice characters only villains, and you enfocarías in zombies as an adventure to recover lost ground, would be more humane, the comic was lost the only hope is the game give a last chance to revive the genre and fans, the writer did not hear me, Telltales took two of my publications and showed the audience as someone who contributed, but do not know if I take my script, I do not want fame or anything like that with that comes alive with Clementine rope and decent family or even a character like mine is that I put in the script as his counsel I give well served.

¿Porque mi foto ya no sale?

• @zjs said: I'm not debating the level of noise that they make; only the duration. I'm not convinced the noise would go on for long enough for a walker up several floors of a building to make its way towards the noise, when said noise is outside and involves negotiating corridors, stairs and doorways.

Andy is on his knees if you save him. You leave him when the walkers are about six feet away from him. Hard to believe he'd manage to get to Danny and cut him free in that time. If you kill Danny, he's still in the trap. The farm is a walk away, but it was a long walk nonetheless, and the walkers appeared very soon after the first shots.

Though this may be a bit late, the duration of the noise does not matter. It is revealed in the comic that they will follow the general direction of a noise long after it becomes quiet.

• I see what you mean, but this is not what the Walking Dead is about, and it never was, nor I think it will be, it deals with people's feelings and minds, when world suddenly falls to shit around them, so they will focus on humans more than on the walkers, because walkers are just simple and plain, and easy to outsmart, I actually can quote Molly here "It doesn't take much to outsmart the dead, bunch of shitheads..." and that is the point, if it wasn't for the living, both Lee and Rick's groups would have the whole thing sorted out by where they are right now in their stories, I'll focus on Lee here, since this discussion is about the game.

If it wasn't for the cannibalism thing and the bandits, if the St.Johns would've been decent people, Lee's group would have been save there for a looong time, they would send two guys out to siphon for gas each day, the St.Johns would keep growing food, the fences would keep the walkers out, and 1 guy would watch the perimeter, incase one of the dead gets over the fence somehow, and they'd live in peace for a long time. But it didn't work out that way, since the living always screw things up - but they also make things interesting, if it wasn't for the bandits, the St.Johns, the stranger, Crawford et cetera, this game would not have been as interesting and exciting as it is.

Focusing on the dead only, or mostly would make things too much of a routine and simply too... easy and well... simple, killing dead, scavenging, killing dead, scavenging, that would turn out to be boring as hell.

• @Mornai said: Though this may be a bit late, the duration of the noise does not matter. It is revealed in the comic that they will follow the general direction of a noise long after it becomes quiet.

Thank you for the backup mate :P

• @StanleyStutters said: I like having human antagonists, and when you think about it, it's more realistic that way. Zombies are slow, unintelligent, and can only kill if they get right on top of you. Once they've survived and lived in the zombie apocalypse humans would be able to set themselves up pretty nicely and be able to handle the zombies relatively easily. The more time passes, the less of a threat zombies are.

Other humans, on the other hand, are a much bigger threat. They are capable of deception, they can work in groups, they can harm you from much longer distances, etc. I still want zombies to be a real threat in S2 (and I'm sure they will be), but I'd love to see either a person or another group show up and cause problems for us.

I can second this. Walkers are stupid and predictable, and the thing that really drew me in setting The Walking Dead apart from multiple other zombie stories, is the human element.

Obviously the Walkers should still be seen as a threat, but it's the people and how they're divisively dealing with surviving that makes the conflict interesting.

• @Mikejames said: I can second this. Walkers are stupid and predictable, and the thing that really drew me in setting The Walking Dead apart from multiple other zombie stories, is the human element.

Obviously the Walkers should still be seen as a threat, but it's the people and how they're divisively dealing with surviving that makes the conflict interesting.

I'd like somewhere in-between. I loved episode 4 mostly because of the zombie fight scenes, and the group's struggle in Crawford. However, I also loved episode 2 for it's human antogonistic behavior. For season 2, I'd like to see more zombie fight scenes similar to ep 4 or ep 5, where evading the walkers doesn't always cut it. However, I'd also love more living threats. Groups who aren't "bad" but are forced to compete with the group would cause tensions, but keep the tension level to a median. I don't expect many psychos like the governor as a group leader, but more like the Alexandria colony of the comics, and have us interact with those areas friendly or with hostilities, giving us friends that require costs, or enemies that pose bloodshed and dangers constantly. I'd even be interested in more walker-to-living interactions, where the living use the walkers against other humans, attracting them to other survivors(like Molly did accidentally to Lee an co.). That would be awesome to pull off. Maybe being friendly to a group could cause even more problems, causing you to take sides between group grudges/wars/competitions. There have to be more survivors than seen; I've been a little saddened by the game, for there seem to be a lack of humans. Yes, it is an apocalypse, but for TWD, there are many groups and small teams of survivors out there, and it is surprising for such a lack of them. Never has our group been able to keep others from joining, nor influence others to join us. I'd like that option, so I would like to see more living hindrances and benefits in the future.

• @Robert Morgan said: Something I noticed while flipping through the latest comic issue of THE WALKING DEAD is that the living tend to be a much greater threat to Rick's group than the actual zombies. Kirkman probably intended this to be ironic, but when story after story tends to be less about humans vs. zombies and more about humans just being assholes to one another, the title of the series starts becoming a little redundant.

Remember what Rick said about them being the walking dead? That might be what the title is about. Everyone has "the virus". What ever they do, other than smashing the head. They will turn.

"We are the Walking Dead."

• I thought the best bits were the St. John's after the dinner scene, and the bandit raid on the motel with walkers thrown in. I dunno what it is, but seeing that one walker sink his teeth into that one bandit when they first show up is always cool to watch. The human antagonists are exponentially better IMO, if done correctly. Humans are far more unpredictable than zombies. They can use their wits, and any weapons they find. What is more dangerous, a few walkers roaming around in front of your barricade, or some psycho with a rifle perched in a tree lining up his sights on your melon? So long as the human antagonists become evil purely for the sake of evil, and begin eating puppies and kicking orphans around just 'cause, then I say bring on more.

• @Mark$man said: The hotel is deserted most likely because of three reasons. 1.) Crawford's killing of walkers etc. probably dragged them out into the street. 2.) The bells would have easily caused the walkers to clear buildings. 3.) The noise from the train?

As for other characters, you could find Carley/Doug inside the drugstore when you go for supplies. In ep 5, when the house gets overrun, just how Brie breached, so could an undead Ben if he died in ep 4. Or the St. Johns could have attacked the motel during the raid. If you leave Duck to die, maybe find him amongst the hoard at the train. Stuff like that. I think it'd make it extremely heartwrenching. I know i wouldn't want to shoot Carley, and Ben'd make me sad.

As much fun that would have been. How realistic would it all be? Even Kirkman himself said so about a character in the comics who ran into the woods, probably dying. We never knew what happend to him and we never will. The reason why was cause it would not make sense for anyone to meet him again. The only reason we would have to meet someone who died would be to visit that place, not them coming to you for some weird reason.

Add Comment