User Avatar Image

Was killing Lee a mistake?

posted by Robert Morgan on - last edited - Viewed by 567 users

I'm not talking in the short-term sense, as there's no doubt the ending was the one thing most people remembered about the game. But in long-term, it sort of put Telltale in a bind when it came to continuing the story.

You have to view these games almost like an interactive TV show (an aesthetic approach Telltale themselves confirmed when they referred to the next series as "season 2", not to mention the "Previously on the Walking Dead/Next Time on the Walking Dead" clips seen at the beginning and end of each episode). In TV shows, the lead protagonist doesn't usually die. Not at the end of the first season, anyway.

I think it's somewhat safe to assume the Telltale writing team is probably jumping through the same hoops we are in terms of what to do next. We've speculated almost a dozen different ways about who the lead in season 2 could be, and every idea, no matter what it is, has come with its share of problems.

I know that even suggesting this out loud will get me lynched, but I can't help wondering if Telltale will reveal story events from Lee's bite onwards was just a nightmare Clementine had, just to bypass all the headaches they're probably having to go through in story sessions. To be honest, I wouldn't blame them. :o

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's kinda hard to argue if it was right or wrong. As mentioned many times before. Telltale was just gonna make one season and they wanted to end it with a bang. But did the first REAL ending end with Clem going to that hill or was it something they added when they knew Season 2 was coming?

Also remember, they did announce Season 2 long before the final episodes got released. Do we even know they went for their original ending or not?

As much as i would want to continue playing Lee. I think this is a good move for a Walking dead game. No one is safe, not the characters you interact with, nor the ones you play as. That's just as much "Walking dead" it gets for a video game.

I've been taking walks at night, thinking to myself how to continue this and i really don't know. This game is canon to the comic (which shows when they changed Lilly's backstory), they could meet up with any character from there and any events that has happen there. Now the game before and now hopefully does something on it's own, but it was nice seeing what Glenn was doing before he meet Rick and same goes with Hershel. Anything can happen. That's what's so good about this. Almost impossible to find out what will happen.

What will the overall story be this time? At the start it was just about survival, it then changed to moving somewhere safe, then a boat, and last but not least saving Clem. Will there even be an overall story other than survival, will we have a bigger goal this time?

I'm not saying this cause the game had no goal. It had. It just took a while to get there and it was well worth the wait. What ever will happen, i have full faith in Telltale Games.

• @Nuked said: If it was up to Kirkman, Clem would have died too.

I know we can never truly know what Kirkman would have done if he was writing the story but I don't think he would of killed off Lee or Clementine. I think he would off kept them alive but made bad things happen to them, showing their characters changing over time because of the world their living in as they were the main characters and the foundation of the story. But this is just an opinion.

To me Kirkman's main characters just seem more capable. When I think about how Lee got bitten. Lilly reminisces about being in a similar situation in the novel but in her case she escaped. I loved the game but sometimes I did think characters did stupid and unbelievable things because it was there time to go. e.g Ben waiting for the stairs to give way when he had time to run back before he fell and got impaled in the alley, Kenny waiting in the alleyway after mercy killing Ben when he had time to run back and join Lee,Ben deciding not to run and follow Lee out the window in the bell tower, allowing time for the zombie to grab him and so on.

So yeah! I think if Kirkman was writing the story the key characters would have lasted more than 13 weeks. Just because I think his writing is more belivable than Telltale's, what with it being only their fisrt attempt at writing a walking dead story and the fact that he has been writing them for over 8 years.

• @Rizefall said: It's kinda hard to argue if it was right or wrong. As mentioned many times before. Telltale was just gonna make one season and they wanted to end it with a bang. But did the first REAL ending end with Clem going to that hill or was it something they added when they knew Season 2 was coming?

Also remember, they did announce Season 2 long before the final episodes got released. Do we even know they went for their original ending or not?

Telltale has stated that Lee's death and Clem being alone and uncertain in a grassy field was planned since day one(the stranger possibly too), so those points at least weren't changed after they started on Season 2. It does kinda work either way, it can be a cliffhanger to leave it up the players to decide or it can lead into the next title if they choose.

• @Mornai said: Telltale has stated that Lee's death and Clem being alone and uncertain in a grassy field was planned since day one(the stranger possibly too), so those points at least weren't changed after they started on Season 2. It does kinda work either way, it can be a cliffhanger to leave it up the players to decide or it can lead into the next title if they choose.

That's cool. I'm happy it continues. I would not want a cliffhanger like that.

• HUGE MISTAKE :D Hopefully Telltale will release a patch for the screw up LOL he didnt DIE ,he was DEAD TIRED :D

• @Clemmy1 said: HUGE MISTAKE :D Hopefully Telltale will release a patch for the screw up LOL he didnt DIE ,he was DEAD TIRED :D

Can't you state WHY it was a mistake instead of saying it was?

• It was a mistake. I do not know if ANY character can fill Lee's shoes. Most people grew attachment to Lee. In S2 I think people will not emotional invest because of his death. Why care if I know they are gonna die. On top of that Clems relationship with Lee is a strong one and I cannot see another character feeling that void. Definitly not Christa Omid Lily Vernon. Maybe Kenny if he is alive but lets face it Ken is no Lee. Why should some new character give a shit about Clem other than she is a 9 year old in the ZA. On the other hand why would Clem warm up to anybody after her real parents and Lee are dead. I just do not see where the story can be as impactful as S1. They are probably going to kill Clem for this reason. :( I am still gonna play it but.....

• SON O REALMENTE SON CIEGOS, Lee es el personaje que usaríamos para desplazarnos dentro del juego no el personaje principal, Clementine es la brújula del juego, Herchel Greene y Kenny lo sabían te lo dijeron varias veces incluso Chuck te lo menciono una vez más, se aferran en una historia que el bueno debe morir, cada vez que hacias algo mal Clementine te lo decía con palabras o con señas. Telltale se basó con los resultados que la mayoría, si jugaron el juego varias veces el Record cambia de pésimo a bueno, se enfocaron en hacer el mal, satisfechos, volvieron a jugar como personas honestas pero no se figaron en las señales que colocaron, para que ya sabían que seguía. Recuerda tu peor record y vete en el espejo observa porque esa persona fuiste tú Lee un cobarde que dejo a una niña sola sin protección, Ya estas satisfecho.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• @GREYxDUZxKRUSH said: It was a mistake. I do not know if ANY character can fill Lee's shoes. Most people grew attachment to Lee. In S2 I think people will not emotional invest because of his death. Why care if I know they are gonna die. On top of that Clems relationship with Lee is a strong one and I cannot see another character feeling that void. Definitly not Christa Omid Lily Vernon. Maybe Kenny if he is alive but lets face it Ken is no Lee. Why should some new character give a shit about Clem other than she is a 9 year old in the ZA. On the other hand why would Clem warm up to anybody after her real parents and Lee are dead. I just do not see where the story can be as impactful as S1. They are probably going to kill Clem for this reason. :( I am still gonna play it but.....

Clem would be the only one that could do it for me.

Add Comment