User Avatar Image

If it isn't a game ...

posted by passerby on - last edited - Viewed by 532 users

We know that some characters have some level of plot armour as we play the game, but in real life, anything can happen. In life, there aren't any Season Twos to continue a character.

So, if you were Lee and knowing that Clementine will be without a protector after you're gone, which is just a few minutes away, would you do what the couple did in the mansion - putting a bullet in Clementine's head before putting one in your own?

I know it's disturbing to even think about doing that to a child, but the odds of Clem surviving are really low, unless she finds another protector like yourself, in a city of Walkers, with Vernon already out at sea, and Christa and Omid nowhere to be found.

Even assuming that you know that the Walker scent on her will offer her "invisibility" till she gets out of the city, any number of cruel things could happen to a little 9-year-old girl without a protector. She's still not ready to fend for herself yet, as she only just got rescued after being tricked into trusting Campman. She's really still just a naive little girl. Will you, out of compassion, end her life quickly and painlessly there and then?

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Mikejames said: Well, you said you refused to let Irene have her choice of ending it quickly for herself, and you stopped Ben from letting himself drop after he had already chosen it.

Either way, if someone was asking it of you, would it be more ethical to just watch people suffer when they aren't able to do it themselves? Like seeing someone engulfed in flame and burning to death? Or someone like Ben who was impaled and imminently facing being eaten alive?

With Irene, she's asking for Carley's gun. Carley doesn't want to give it to her, so she shouldn't have to. Plus, every bullet counts. With Ben, his fate is placed in your hands. You're pretty much killing him directly by dropping him. In the second scenario, Ben never requests that you kill him, he just wants you to kill the walkers so they can't get to him.

If someone was on fire, they should at least know how to stop, drop and roll. I'd rather be finding a water source or some other means of extinguishing the flame instead of immediately murdering them.

I think I'd be like Kenny if you tell him to shoot Duck but remain silent when he tries to. Even if i wanted to, i wouldn't be able to do it...

• Irene was bitten. Clementine is absolutely healthy. Killing a healthy person, the more the child it is despicable as like I said earlier we must use any chance to survive. Survival is the most important thing, at any price.

• @GREYxDUZxKRUSH said: If she was bit i would shoot when her back was turned right after bite occured so she would not suffer like Lee. Mentally and Physically. :(

She trusts you, turns around and you just shoot her in the back of the head? Don't you think you should have a last talk, and calm her down, and tell her: "When you first pass out... I'll end it, you won't suffer..." then wait till she first passes out like Lee in the hospital, because most likely from that point she's lost, and then... do it?
    I mean I get why you say what you say, you don't want her to worry about the whole thing, and just "surprise" her, but that doesn't seem like the right way to me, but it's up to everybody themselves.

• @ZeroShoot said: She trusts you, turns around and you just shoot her in the back of the head? Don't you think you should have a last talk, and calm her down, and tell her: "When you first pass out... I'll end it, you won't suffer..." then wait till she first passes out like Lee in the hospital, because most likely from that point she's lost, and then... do it?
    I mean I get why you say what you say, you don't want her to worry about the whole thing, and just "surprise" her, but that doesn't seem like the right way to me, but it's up to everybody themselves.

If Clemmy got bit, I'd comfort her until she passed. I'd be there with her until she passed. Then I'd destroy the brain. If there was any way I could save her, I'd do so.

• @Mark$man said: If Clemmy got bit, I'd comfort her until she passed. I'd be there with her until she passed. Then I'd destroy the brain. If there was any way I could save her, I'd do so.

I don't even know what I'd do, that would be the toughest decision there could be, if there is any chance at all, that there might be some way to save her, and I just shot her, while the answer was just around the corner, I couldn't forgive myself, on the other hand, how are the odds to find such a "cure"? Could I let her suffer for such a long time, see her spitting blood, caughing blood, and all that shit Duck went through, I don't know, probably it's for the best to try and go on for as long as we can...
    The point is as you said: "If there was any way..." and it's not even sure that there isn't, on the other hand the odds are very small to find one.
    tough call... tough call... :(

• @Mornai said: With Irene, she's asking for Carley's gun. Carley doesn't want to give it to her, so she shouldn't have to. Plus, every bullet counts. With Ben, his fate is placed in your hands. You're pretty much killing him directly by dropping him. In the second scenario, Ben never requests that you kill him, he just wants you to kill the walkers so they can't get to him.

So it's not a question of mercy, it's cold pragmatism?

Ben says "Don't let them get me." You have less than a few bullets left, and there was no bloody way he was getting out of there without dying from blood loss. So you're either shooting him, or leaving him for walkers, that's the gist of it.
    If someone was on fire, they should at least know how to stop, drop and roll. I'd rather be finding a water source or some other means of extinguishing the flame instead of immediately murdering them.

I think I'd be like Kenny if you tell him to shoot Duck but remain silent when he tries to. Even if i wanted to, i wouldn't be able to do it...
    I doubt that everyone who's ever burned to death just wasn't smart enough start rolling, but alright. Hopefully you have a hose on-hand, and the medical prowess to treat fourth-degree burns.

And I'm sure Ben would take comfort in you keeping your hands clean at the potential ramification of being left in an alley to be torn apart.

• @Mikejames said: So it's not a question of mercy, it's cold pragmatism?

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't put Irene out of her misery because she was a stranger and appeared mentally unstable, all of which made her unpredictable. How do I know she won't decide, "Well, world's gone to shit. Might as well help everyone around me opt out too before I blow my own brains out!"

Remember, Irene asked to borrow the gun and then basically lunged for the pistol as soon as we said no. I will never give someone I don't know, especially one who seemed to be cracking, a gun as a matter of safety to me and my group.

• @ZeroShoot said: I don't even know what I'd do, that would be the toughest decision there could be, if there is any chance at all, that there might be some way to save her, and I just shot her, while the answer was just around the corner, I couldn't forgive myself, on the other hand, how are the odds to find such a "cure"? Could I let her suffer for such a long time, see her spitting blood, caughing blood, and all that shit Duck went through, I don't know, probably it's for the best to try and go on for as long as we can...
    The point is as you said: "If there was any way..." and it's not even sure that there isn't, on the other hand the odds are very small to find one.
    tough call... tough call... :(

Either way, I'd want as much time with her as I could have. And I'm sure she'd like the same. I wouldn't shoot her until she stopped breathing. But yeah, if there was the slightest chance, I'd take it. If I could remove the bite, I'd do it, even though I'd feel bad for removing one of her cute little arms. I'd feel bad, but it's always better than death(unless the walkers get you).

• @GREYxDUZxKRUSH said: If she was bit i would shoot when her back was turned right after bite occured so she would not suffer like Lee. Mentally and Physically. :(

I will tell terrible thing, but I agree with you. This is the best way to relieve Clem from suffering, if she would be bitten.
    We have a proverb in our country: " Long goodbye - it's more tears".

Attempts to explain to her that it will necessary, and the last goodbye, will bring her more pain, the heartache.

But how the PC (me) will live after that?

• @zev_zev said: I will tell terrible thing, but I agree with you. This is the best way to relieve Clem from suffering, if she would be bitten.
    We have a proverb in our country: " Long goodbye - it's more tears".

Attempts to explain to her that it will necessary, and the last goodbye, will bring her more pain, the heartache.

But how the PC (me) will live after that?

If she was bitten, I'd cut her limb off like Grey Fox cuts off Ocelot's arm in MGS1. You want me to shoot her? Ok, but don't expect me to buy the next season, or get out of bed for a week, lol.

Add Comment