User Avatar Image

A Clementine Death

posted by TJPguy on - last edited - Viewed by 569 users

Okay so this thread is either going to create discussion or make me a very hated member ;)

I brushed upon this in another thread where there were a couple of responses, however I wanted to look into it further.

Would anyone here have been interested to see at least an alternate choice-based ending where Clem dies? Either instead of Lee or along with Lee... that's not too important.
Purely for emotional reasons - I adore Clementine of course. But I've got to say I desperately wanted an ending where she had a full, story based death (as opposed to her 'game over' ones :L). I wanted to see what TellTale could do if they made the most saddening ending with a Clem death as possible.

If you're one of the people who say they would hate TellTale if they killed Clem and would refuse to play any more - is there any reason beyond just really liking Clem? It seems a very extreme response. Even more extreme than Cry's playthrough of the ending :p

Imagine Season 2 doesn't come into this at all, as it would naturally mess it up. I ask as if Season 1 was a stand alone project.

I'll also put this as a poll out of curiosity, for a canon Clem death, alternate one or as it is now :)

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well I think you can not cut her hair. Then maybe it be her downfall along the series lol

• Canon survival for Clem. The player should be allowed to influence what kind of survivor she ultimately becomes, of course: A ruthless take-no-prisoners type like Molly, or a kind, idealistic woman who has somehow miraculously avoided being burned out by the world around her.

• @Robert Morgan said: Canon survival for Clem. The player should be allowed to influence what kind of survivor she ultimately becomes, of course: A ruthless take-no-prisoners type like Molly, or a kind, idealistic woman who has somehow miraculously avoided being burned out by the world around her.

ANYTHING that lets me feel like I made that happen I am good with.

• @dee23 said: The way I see it if it was a stand alone game regardless of who (etc...)

Sorry I couldn't quote your whole post but thank you, it made a lot of sense. You (I'm not sure if someone before has said so as well) are definitely right with the sucker punching us with the unexpected. I've come to realise more and more that along with my desire to see such a sad ending, the desire for someone to push the boundary so much that a child (and Clementine at that) would die is another reason I want to see it. Children shouldn't be untouchable by an apocalypse and those who think they should clearly don't want the realism an apocalyptic game should have. I suppose two children did die in this game, but notice how they were both male, one was a walker anyway and the other was your typical annoying kid (well that's what I thought at least) that stuck more to the sidelines. Apparently all you have to be is a cute daughterly girl and you've survived an apocalypse.

We know it has been done and can be done well. If you've seen the Dead Island trailer and how it has been praised by most as one of the best game trailers ever made you can see that. Plus the girls in the TV series... and the one at the beginning of Dawn of the Dead. It just hasn't been done with a girl we've grown very attached to. Well, possibly with the exception of Sophia, depending how you see her.

I'm probably just echoing what you're saying now so I'll end there, but yeah your entire post words it nicely and I'm glad you've said it, thanks again!

@dee23 said: Before anyone starts hating me, please read the post to the end, thanks.
    I see it that way:
    It should depend on how the player plays, if I take good care of her overall, not only depending on 1 decision, but depending on hours of decisions, she will live, and if I don't she dies, if I teach her to never loose hope, to stay focused, careful, and to be ready to pull the trigger if necessary, she'll obviously make it, if for example she runs off once again, and I don't tell her, that she should always have backup in dangerous situations, and should observe her surrounding before just entering, but simply tell her "great job" instead of "you did good, but be more careful next time" she won't learn, to be careful, which will get her killed in the ending.

I simply want a non-canon ending, I want my choices to matter, and I want her to live, but only if I take good care of her, and educate her well. So that the "survival training" we had with her would matter, and the last words from Lee etc.

/edit: If they can't make it depending on choices, I'd rather have a canon Clementine alive ending, than a Clementine dead ending. Seriously TellTale, please don't kill her. I said please....

That would be an awesome method yeah. I'm under no illusions that what I want to see is extremely unwanted and would cause outrage. But if you act like the worst guardian ever, you should be able to see the consequences of it, absolutely.
    Plus I would want a non-canon ending to be made with the same genius and attention that that canon one had, rather than it being just a cheap 10 second 'game over - you did it wrong and Clementine is dead' kind of ending. One that would still cause the credits to roll and such.

@dee23 said: Yup, that's what I mean, you have to teach her how to shoot, disregarding how you feel about it, Chuck talked some sense into you, he made you listen to reason, but you were not given the choice to accept or decline his advice. I thought yeah, she definitely should learn to shoot, but I can imagine some people still thought, that she is a little girl, and she shouldn't use guns, but they weren't free to just... not teach her, but if they made a decision where you could choose, whether or not to teach her how to shoot, and then depending on that choice, they could have made different endings or scenes here and there. For example: if you brought her to Crawford and taught her how to shoot, she saves Molly, if you brought her, but never taught her how to handle a gun, she can't pull the trigger. Little thing, but big meaning, as that means she wouldn't be able to kill the stranger either if Lee fails to defeat him, and perhaps she won't be able to survive on her own out there without Lee. I hope such things will be featured in S2, that it is up to us to really prepare her, and that we are given the freedom to do it our way, not a canon way, but unique ways.

I can see the problems with too many drastic plot changing choices from a development view. It reminds me of what I read about Mass Effect, where they've had to script thousands of different alternates because you have so much choice in the game. But yeah, one major decision point in the game that would effect just the ending would have been perfect like you say. Plus it would make a lot of sense, and make someone like me who wants a controversial unpopular ending happy. It usually sucks to be on the severely unpopular side of things eh :rolleyes: Although the poll coming close to 50/50 has given me a lot of faith in my view.

• I say if it does come down to it you have the choice to kill her or save her

• If she dies, can I sing "Oh my Darling Clementine" without looking trollish?

• If Clem were to have died in Season 1, I would have gone from playing Lee as a generally good guy who occasionally had to make tough choices, but with a moral center in the form of an 8/9 year old girl, to not giving any kind of a f*ck anymore, loose cannon psychopath. Because the only time I felt bad about a decision I made was when I saw a look of terror or disappointment on her little face. Clementine was what kept my Lee human. Now, in Season 2, I suppose I'd be okay with the idea of Clem having to die or having the option to die, because I don't know relationships would play out or what kind of role in the whole game she'd play.

• Not only should she die but in my view she has to. From a logical standpoint, the longer she's around the less effective she will become and in terms of story, logically she can't survive. The only question really is whether Telltale have the bawls to kill her off and the confidence to follow up with something equally strong. I have my doubts.

Personally I think it would be worth her dying just to see the reaction.

EDIT

In a sense I think she's restraining the story, maybe in a good way. What I'd love though is Season 2 starting, just settling back into the game and then BANG! She dies in the first 10 minutes. There couldn't be a better way for Telltale to pull the rug out from under the community.

• User Avatar Image
    MarkDarin Telltale Staff

@Ninnuendo said: What I'd love though is Season 2 starting, just settling back into the game and then BANG! She dies in the first 10 minutes. There couldn't be a better way for Telltale to pull the rug out from under the community.

Sooo... you're saying you want us to pull a "Newt"?

Add Comment