User Avatar Image

What's with everyone hating on Kenny?

posted by Advanced on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

I don't get it.

In my playthrough of the game, he was the closest person to me besides Clem.

I don't understand why people hate him for the things he did. Lets put you guys in his situations.

1. If Clem or Shawn is in trouble, wouldn't you make sure Clem is safe before Shawn is? Especially if there's another person around to help the other.

2. If Larry would be screaming that Clem is bitten and want's to throw her out, wouldn't you get defensive and wanna punch him in the face?

3. If you looted the entire area around you and ran out of resources wouldn't you want to move on if you had your own RV? Nothing left.

4. (The most debatable one, but I will always side with Kenny here) Killing Larry. I am stunned by how many people decided to try and save him. Are you guys serious? This guy was a complete arse to you the entire time. He tried to KILL YOU in EP 1 and threatened you/blackmailed you in episode 2. He was not afraid to kill you if he had the chance. In fact by trying to kill you he put Clem's life in danger more or less the same as Ben did leaving her.

And now you're in a locked room with someone who's known to have heart issues who just dropped and stopped breathing. You and your family is in danger of getting eaten by a really strong zombie with no way out.

Are you REALLY going to try and revive someone like that? Understanding very well that if you don't get it in time you just doomed everyone in that room, you, Clem, Kenny everyone. Dead. And people seem to blame Kenny for doing what he did?

Everyone can have their own opinions on this topic, but I would never put everyone at risk to try and save some that is a complete POS and is about to turn and kill you all. Kenny was absolutely in the right state of thinking here.

5. If Clem was bitten... wouldn't YOU want to hold out on killing her? Wouldn't you want to grasp on to hope and have every last second with her? It's not like he didn't come to his sense's... He did what he had to do at the very end, if you say you forced him, that's what the group is there for. Supporting each other.

Hell if Clem was bitten I would just turn off the game because I wouldn't be able to kill her. In fact in real life I don't know how I would react to something like this. Kenny was extremely strong by the end of all this.

I'll skip a lot of the minor parts here and go to EP 4

6. Finally, if you found out that Ben took away everything you had in your life... Let's say Ben got Clem killed, caused numerous other deaths and was lying to you this entire time, wouldn't YOU want him dead in the spur of the moment? At the end of the day you all have emotions.

I can keep going on and on... but every time I hear people talk about how much Kenny was an asshole I just do not get it. What would you do so different in his position? What makes him such an asshole? Because he always faced reality and told things like they were? He was just a man trying to take care of his family. What's with all the hate on him?

In fact, by the end of the game Kenny was the only one I trusted with Clem. Not only would Clem become part of Kenny's family this way (Thus giving Kenny a reason to keep going now) but I damn well know he would do everything in his power to protect her. Whatever it is, he would do whats best for her safety.

171 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @thestalkinghead said: i think you are missing the point, killing larry had nothing to do with the fact the he was an asshole (that was just a bonus), it was the fact that if you don't kill him he would kill you as a zombie, when i replayed that episode and chose not to kill larry i expected a zombie fighting sequence so i was totally shocked that kenny killed him anyway, but he made the right choice

I think kenny deep down felt guilty about his choice to kill Larry since he kept what he did from his wife. She had to find out what he did in meat locker from me and that is probably what broke her heart and spirit, thinking what this new world has turned her husband into. I don't think he was a hero in her eyes.

The fact that telltale put an easter egg in that sequence where Larry can begin to wake up after the 4th chest compression I don't think killing Larry before he showed signs of reanimating was the right choice. I think it was done on impulse, out of fear of not being able to save his family if Larry was to change. I say this because when Maggie hung herself in the comics she also stopped breathing. Abraham wanted to shoot her so she didn't turn and attack the group but Glen continued with his CPR. Rick stopped Abraham from shooting Maggie to give her a chance. Maggie didn't die, she was resuscitated successfully and lived on.

I think Kenny could have held the salt lick over his head just in case but I think he saw it as the easiest and quickest option to kill him in advance.

I though it was double standard since he didn't know for sure if Duck was bitten when Kat was wiping away the mud but he wanted time for the group to confirm he wasn't a threat. At that time they didn't know how quick reanimation took place. He took a risk and my Lee supported him instead of being rash. But when it was a non-family member his impatience and knee jerk reaction was just like Larry's was towards his son 3 months before.

• @Toitle_John said: Okay, I don't know why people don't see this. Kenny is a FAMILY MAN. If you don't help him kill Larry he sees it as not caring about his family. Obviously if they gave us different dialogue choices to make him understand why we were giving him CPR, but they don't and he sees it as you don't want to do what needs to be done to help his family. I think it's stupid you basically have to be his bitch to get the bro speech but that's just the guy he is. If you do anything that can be counted as going against or not protecting his family, he'll hold a grudge.

Holding a grudge is one thing but he purposely left me to die twice. He set me up by agreeing to take on Danny together, leading me into a false sense of security, then he waited and watched the guy put riffle in my face. When he looked at me afterwards he looked ashamed. He knew what he did.

Regardless of my issues with him I proceeded to save his wife and son. I didn't give him an answer when he asked my opinion about the fall out between him and Lilly because I didn't want to argue or give him ammunition to curse me. A week later he's giving me daggers/dirty looks and shaking his head,trying to start arguments. I'm not giving him the opportunity. I'm keeping things civil. He see's me struggling in the drug store and instead of saving me he watches in true tv show Shane fashion like i'm Otis. When I ask him what that was about he things i'm complaining about nothing because I saved myself anyway.

• When I first saw Larry move, I thought for sure he was alive. But now, of course, other fans insist that it only meant he was about to turn. Kenny drops that salt licker no matter what you do. (Although I might have appreciated the option of kicking Kenny in the balls afterwards...:rolleyes:)

• @Robert Morgan said: When I first saw Larry move, I thought for sure he was alive. But now, of course, other fans insist that it only meant he was about to turn. Kenny drops that salt licker no matter what you do. (Although I might have appreciated the option of kicking Kenny in the balls afterwards...:rolleyes:)

Fortunately their counter argument is invalid, because we have the game technology on our side, for better or worse. Larry's face was not horribly decayed during the mouth movement, therefore he did not turn. :p

• @Mornai said: Fortunately their counter argument is invalid, because we have the game technology on our side, for better or worse. Larry's face was not horribly decayed during the mouth movement, therefore he did not turn. :p

I'd say that argument is not valid. Not all look dead. Check the webisodes, the girl that got hit by the car and turned. She turned a second after the woman came to her aid and killed her. So that argument isn't valid. However, I do agree he was still alive, for better or for worse :P. Either way, I respected Kenny's decision.

• @Mark$man said: I'd say that argument is not valid. Not all look dead. Check the webisodes, the girl that got hit by the car and turned. She turned a second after the woman came to her aid and killed her. So that argument isn't valid. However, I do agree he was still alive, for better or for worse :P. Either way, I respected Kenny's decision.

Maybe in the webisodes, but this is the game version. Look at David Parker and Travis when they turn(which is supposedly mere minutes after their death) their faces already look as if they've been decaying for months.

Also my post was meant as a sort of joke, because the decay was probably just to add to the atmosphere of the battle.

• Why is everyone so worried if he was turning at the moment Kenny killed him. Kenny says we have to kill him BEFORE he turns. What does it matter?

• @Mornai said: Fortunately their counter argument is invalid, because we have the game technology on our side, for better or worse. Larry's face was not horribly decayed during the mouth movement, therefore he did not turn. :p

In addition to that, despite Telltale's attempt at ambiguity, there's the fact that Larry's mouth only moves if you do CPR. :p

• Seeing as he died due to salt overdose either way, the point is moot. :cool:

Add Comment