User Avatar Image

What's with everyone hating on Kenny?

posted by Advanced on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

I don't get it.

In my playthrough of the game, he was the closest person to me besides Clem.

I don't understand why people hate him for the things he did. Lets put you guys in his situations.

1. If Clem or Shawn is in trouble, wouldn't you make sure Clem is safe before Shawn is? Especially if there's another person around to help the other.

2. If Larry would be screaming that Clem is bitten and want's to throw her out, wouldn't you get defensive and wanna punch him in the face?

3. If you looted the entire area around you and ran out of resources wouldn't you want to move on if you had your own RV? Nothing left.

4. (The most debatable one, but I will always side with Kenny here) Killing Larry. I am stunned by how many people decided to try and save him. Are you guys serious? This guy was a complete arse to you the entire time. He tried to KILL YOU in EP 1 and threatened you/blackmailed you in episode 2. He was not afraid to kill you if he had the chance. In fact by trying to kill you he put Clem's life in danger more or less the same as Ben did leaving her.

And now you're in a locked room with someone who's known to have heart issues who just dropped and stopped breathing. You and your family is in danger of getting eaten by a really strong zombie with no way out.

Are you REALLY going to try and revive someone like that? Understanding very well that if you don't get it in time you just doomed everyone in that room, you, Clem, Kenny everyone. Dead. And people seem to blame Kenny for doing what he did?

Everyone can have their own opinions on this topic, but I would never put everyone at risk to try and save some that is a complete POS and is about to turn and kill you all. Kenny was absolutely in the right state of thinking here.

5. If Clem was bitten... wouldn't YOU want to hold out on killing her? Wouldn't you want to grasp on to hope and have every last second with her? It's not like he didn't come to his sense's... He did what he had to do at the very end, if you say you forced him, that's what the group is there for. Supporting each other.

Hell if Clem was bitten I would just turn off the game because I wouldn't be able to kill her. In fact in real life I don't know how I would react to something like this. Kenny was extremely strong by the end of all this.

I'll skip a lot of the minor parts here and go to EP 4

6. Finally, if you found out that Ben took away everything you had in your life... Let's say Ben got Clem killed, caused numerous other deaths and was lying to you this entire time, wouldn't YOU want him dead in the spur of the moment? At the end of the day you all have emotions.

I can keep going on and on... but every time I hear people talk about how much Kenny was an asshole I just do not get it. What would you do so different in his position? What makes him such an asshole? Because he always faced reality and told things like they were? He was just a man trying to take care of his family. What's with all the hate on him?

In fact, by the end of the game Kenny was the only one I trusted with Clem. Not only would Clem become part of Kenny's family this way (Thus giving Kenny a reason to keep going now) but I damn well know he would do everything in his power to protect her. Whatever it is, he would do whats best for her safety.

171 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm not gonna lie..I actually had a crush on him.I'm not kidding,his moustache was just so attractive D:

#TeamKenny ._.

• I gave my opinion on Lilly, and here I'll give my opinion on Kenny:

Let's start at the beginning, we meet him at Hershel's farm, then his "special" son hits Shawn with a tracktor... of course he saves his son first, seriously anyone would have done that, but then, he ran away with Duck and let Shawn to die. I get it, he was overwhelmed with the situation, still, it is his fault, that Shawn died.
    Okay, so much for the farm, now we're in the drugstore, we don't know any of the new guys, but we can count on Kenny, when Larry knocked us down, no matter what we did - Kenny would help us up - every time, he's not the type of guy to kill someone just because the person was dick to him. (we get to the supply run later...)
    In the motor inn he seems to have more of a plan than Lilly, sure the motor-inn is okay, but that's about it, without food, they will have to move on eventually, might as well move on right away, and if it wasn't for Kenny fixing the RV, the group would be most likely dead anyways.
    Meat locker: He "killed" Larry, alright if you tried to do cpr on Larry, he opened his mouth, fine, but how could Kenny know we could revive a guy, who stopped breathing, seriously - how are the odds? We were in a locked room, no way to escape, and using salt licks as blunt weapons is way too risky too, because they're heavy and before you even raise them to reach back you're bitten already. No way to escape either, the room was locked we couldn't know that just moments later we would have a way out, Kenny just did what he had to do to protect Lee, Clementine, Lilly and himself, and thus his family. And I am grateful for that, I played the hero in front of Clem :D while he bashed Larry's head in, that's a bro, and I would have done the same thing if it was Duck in there and Clem out there.
    Station wagon: He was being realistic, we needed that stuff, we were starving and it was cold - can anyone blame him for that?
    @Stranger said: SO MY FAMILY STARVED IN THE COLD!
    - epic scene by the way...
    After his family died he was a mess, okay both Lilly and Kenny were pretty much shitty leaders after they lost their families, but Kenny really tried to go on for the group, he tried to get his shit together - Lilly didn't.
    @Stranger said: "You don't just end it cause it's hard. You stick it out, and you help the folks you care about."
    He was a dick towards Ben, after he found out what Ben did, okay... he didn't even try to be discrete about wishing him dead, okay I can fully understand that as I wished Ben dead too when he left Clem to die.
    But both Kenny and I forgave Ben, after his epic speech in the backyard.
    Whether his death was suicide or a sacrifice... I can't tell, that's debatable, I think a bit of both.
    Oh and he was funny, seriously his jokes are hillarious and they cheered me up each time I played this game.

Okay - he left me to die on the supply run - fine, but I forgave him, he made up for it by supporting me when I was bit.

Conclusion: Kenny was a good bro to me, and in my opinion he is a better leader than Lilly, though not a very good one either, as his "boat-plan" wasn't that great, he's a good guy.
    -Team Kenny 4 life ;) :rolleyes:

• Kenny was a good man, but if it was Duck who was passed out in that meat locker(and was bitten) i guarantee he'd murder every single person in that room before anyone laid a finger on him.

There would be no discussion, no matter what argument you try to use.

It's just as Lee can say in ep 5. "What if it was you, and it was Duck out there? I bet you'd rather stay focused on the problem, and not have people turn on you."

It's a double standard when it comes to his family, sadly.

• @Mornai said: Kenny was a good man, but if it was Duck who was passed out in that meat locker(and was bitten) i guarantee he'd murder every single person in that room before anyone laid a finger on him.

It's just as Lee can say in ep 5. "What if it was you, and it was Duck out there? I bet you'd rather stay focused on the problem, and not have people turn on you."

And if it were Clementine bitten in the meat locker we'd probably do something similar as Lee. I'd argue most everyone has double standards when it comes to THEIR family. Not saying that makes it right, but it was hardly exclusive to Kenny.

• @Mornai said: Kenny was a good man, but if it was Duck who was passed out in that meat locker(and was bitten) i guarantee he'd murder every single person in that room before anyone laid a finger on him.

If it was for Clem I would've done the same, doesn't make it right, but most people would do the same.
    But if it's a kid-zombie they could probably handle it, zombie or not, the body is weak, Larry though... no one could hold that guy down, once he'd be up on his legs. And no one could get him off off someone if he jumped someone.

@Mornai said: And if it were Clementine bitten in the meat locker we'd probably do something similar as Lee. I'd argue most everyone has double standards when it comes to THEIR family. Not saying that makes it right, but it was hardly exclusive to Kenny.

Yup - that's the way it is.

• @Jaded X Gamer said: And if it were Clementine bitten in the meat locker we'd probably do something similar as Lee. I'd argue most everyone has double standards when it comes to THEIR family. Not saying that makes it right, but it was hardly exclusive to Kenny.

I think it only applies to someone if they're willing to kill a person to prevent their reanimation but refuse to allow anyone else to do the same if it's their family(like Kenny). I wouldn't kill them no matter who they were, family or not, so there's no nepotism there.

@Jaded X Gamer said: If it was for Clem I would've done the same, doesn't make it right, but most people would do the same.
    But if it's a kid-zombie they could probably handle it, zombie or not, the body is weak, Larry though... no one could hold that guy down, once he'd be up on his legs. And no one could get him off off someone if he jumped someone.

That's what I'm saying, Kenny wouldn't listen to reasoning like that even if it's true. Just like when Duck is bitten, you have to talk(or beat) some sense into him so he'll even accept that he's been bitten in the first place.

• @ZeroShoot said: If it was for Clem I would've done the same, doesn't make it right, but most people would do the same.

Yup - that's the way it is.

Yeah as you said Clem and duck weigh probably 60-80 pounds. You could probably hold them down with no problem. Larry on the other hand is what 300 or more pounds, not only that, but he is shown to be the strongest (Physical wise) member of the group. And also It seem to me zombie is stronger than a normal person because they don't tire out like a living person is. As well sure holding the salt lick over Larry might have worked, but you have to remember what's the first thing both people we've seen turn do after they turn, that is lung at whoever is closet to them. Larry is he turned probably would've done that the same and in his own words, "Then there would be two of them." Not saying what Kenny did was the morally right decision, but it was probably the smartest one. Also on the whole thing that Larry's face didn't show him looking like a walker, well the game makers probably did that on purpose. Same reason they used two random models for the ending scene where Clem sees the two people on the hill... to leave ambiquity

• @Mornai said: I think it only applies to someone if they're willing to kill a person to prevent their reanimation but refuse to allow anyone else to do the same if it's their family(like Kenny). I wouldn't kill them no matter who they were, family or not, so there's no nepotism there.

Okay fine, not EVERYONE has that double standard. But I stand by my point it's hardly exclusive to Kenny. Lilly/Larry are for throwing Duck out right away but Lilly insists Larry must still be alive even though she said in the first episode Larry's heart attacks are bad enough to hospitalize him. Christa gets pissed if Kenny suggests leaving Omid and if you talk to her in Crawford she's in denial of even the possibility of him dying, but she votes to throw Ben out because he jeopardized her getting back to the Omid.

People acting irrational because their family is in danger or dying was pretty consistent throughout the game, it was the main reason I told Clem to shoot Lee. I was afraid she'd be in another situation like the one she was in now and if she didn't confront what was happening to Lee then she'd be at a loss to deal with it if something similar happens again.

• My opinion on Kenny: he's just not grateful enough toward you. You can literally do everything for him, and he'll still be all like "I've had your back, but have you had mine?" at the start of the last episode. He's completely oblivious to others' problems over his own, which, granted, are pretty bad, but the fact that Ben even needed to drill some sense into his head shows that his critical thinking has something to be desired.

He's also racist. And he's givin' us Floridians a bad name, too!

Add Comment