User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.

301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's not mentioned much but before he joined Sierra, apparently Josh Mandel was a professional voice actor/actor. It's an interesting bit of trivia.

He actually wanted to do more with Graham, but as the story goes, was told to downplay it by Roberta.

• I would have rather had someone like that Chris Warren of Himalaya/AGDI (Mage's Initiation) helm new KQ game projects. The AGDI games were, hands down, the best of the non-official KQ games. Just give them a decent budget to create a new engine or whatever else is needed, and I am sure we would get an epic new adventure worthy of the KQ name.

Personally, while I find the fan games fun... I do not like the directions they chose to take the game... both AGDI's and TSL's... Way too much "black cloak society", and trying to tie all the series together under single prophecies. Both fan series very common similiarities in certain themes.

I'm also not particularly taken by the character closeup artwork the AGDI stuff, they seemed kinda amatuerish (this is not a knock, it just doesn't stand up to the quality of the original sierra games), they look kinda distorted.

I prefer the original stories, and AGDI takes way too many liberties with KQ2's story, and even KQ3. Technically there series are not 'remakes' but more of a retelling of the series. IF KQ1 SCI was more of a 'rebooted' story, they follow more of the path of the KQ1 "rebooted" story, rather the main series following the path of the original KQ1 (KQ2, and KQ3's Daventry set pieces are based on the Daventry in KQ1 AGI, for example, even KQ4 is roughly follows the KQ1-3 route, particularly comparing the fact it was based originally on the AGI graphics, before being boosted to SCI artwork).

I'm much rather see a KQ2 remake that is more of a 1.5:1 remake. Improved narration, and expanded plot here and there, but sticks more to the original, like KQ1SCI to KQ1AGI, but just a few changes here or there plot wise.

AGDI also created a catch-22 for themselves. They have said if they were to make a new game, they won't be using their universe. That means people dying to know how the Father saga ends, won't ever find out. At the same token I wouldn't want their continuity 'replacing' the original canon. I want any new professional game in the series to follow the original continuity. That doesn't mean convoluted story telling and linking every villain together, but a consistency in certain themes, and more stand-alone stories, in a new land or lands to explore.

• @BagginsKQ said:
    I'm also not particularly taken by the character closeup artwork the AGDI stuff, they seemed kinda amatuerish (this is not a knock, it just doesn't stand up to the quality of the original sierra games), they look kinda distorted.

I prefer the original stories, and AGDI takes way too many liberties with KQ2's story, and even KQ3. Technically there series are not 'remakes' but more of a retelling of the series. IF KQ1 SCI was more of a 'rebooted' story, they follow more of the path of the KQ1 "rebooted" story, rather the main series following the path of the original KQ1 (KQ2, and KQ3's Daventry set pieces are based on the Daventry in KQ1 AGI, for example, even KQ4 is roughly follows the KQ1-3 route, particularly comparing the fact it was based originally on the AGI graphics, before being boosted to SCI artwork).

You make good points, but if you read Warren's posts on various forums where he shares his thoughts about game design and responds to some of the same criticisms you mention, you may find that he understands very well and maybe agrees with some of the things you are saying. The reason I would feel good with someone like him at the helm of a new adventure project is that he has shown he understands, and is a great fan of, classic adventure gaming, and he can lead full game projects to successful completion on a very small budget. If this were an easy thing to do, more would have done it. Other fan/indie teams came and went, often never releasing a single complete game, but AGDI delivered time and again.

Especially considering the fact that they did these games for free, you have to give them great credit for the high quality of work and overall polish. Although I applaud the efforts of the TSL and IA/IQ teams, those efforts just screamed amateur to me. AGDI games felt almost like playing actual Sierra games. Their KQ3 Redux was a particularly impressive accomplishment. That's why I credit their team leader for making sure everything came together well and got finished.

As for the criticisms of some of the art, yeah, I see what you're saying. That's why I think an ample budget would be needed to get all that stuff up to a higher level.

Basically, based on his record and what he has written, I would trust him to lead a project to create a new adventure game in a series I loved.

• @BagginsKQ said: It's not mentioned much but before he joined Sierra, apparently Josh Mandel was a professional voice actor/actor. It's an interesting bit of trivia.

He actually wanted to do more with Graham, but as the story goes, was told to downplay it by Roberta.

I hadn't known about this. He talks more about his background and his time working on KQ1 remake here:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/24002

I'm sure Baggins has already seen the interview (nothing KQ-related gets by him :-) ), but if anyone here hasn't checked it out, I recommend they do. This is a fascinating, must-read interview. It also explains how Josh Mandel actually got banned from the Sierra building after resigning!

• MtnPeak, nope I haven't seen this particular one. It's a new one! This is why I look to the help of other fans to point out new and old nuggets that I may have missed.

• I really enjoyed reading that interview. Josh Mandel writes well and is so candid.

• "While we deeply love King's Quest here at Telltale, we can confirm that we are no longer working on the franchise," Telltale Senior VP of Publishing Steve Allison told Digital Trends. "There was a time last year that we investigated partnering with third party developers to produce the game as a partnership but decided against outsourcing. We are not privy to what plans Activision has for the franchise, if any."

Rights holder Activision has its own episodic King's Quest series. The Silver Lining was originally conceived as a tribute project by fans, but developer Phoenix Online Studios later gained non-commercial license permission from Activision.

I really hate that The Silver Lining is regarded as the last "official" King's Quest in some news coverage. I dreaded that would happen. I think TSL is rather amateurish and is a poor representative for the series. :-(

• And to make sure it's clear, TSL is not an official game! Those are Joystiq's words there, not ours. We love KQ and we love our work, but it's still a fangame.

Though it is technically owned by Activision, so I think that's maybe what they were referring to there.

• @KatieHal said: And to make sure it's clear, TSL is not an official game! Those are Joystiq's words there, not ours. We love KQ and we love our work, but it's still a fangame.

Though it is technically owned by Activision, so I think that's maybe what they were referring to there.

By the way, you guys are great and seem to be improving a lot. I can only imagine how much even better you guys will continue to get in coming years. I know I look forward to that and wish you huge success, so hope you don't take any criticism personally or like we aren't still rooting for you guys to reach higher and accomplish even more.

• To MtnPeak, I just wanted to say thanks for the compliments on our work over at Phoenix Online!, since I can't reply in the KQ forums anymore. I think we've come a long way as well. And we do like getting constructive feedback so we can continue improving. :)

Add Comment