User Avatar Image

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct FPS based on the TV show, published by Activision

posted by Gman5852 on - last edited - Viewed by 7K users

So I just received this in my twitter feed...

I have a bad feeling about this.

695 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @mosfet said: That's what I thought too. But it's showing up on Steam O_o

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220050/?snr=1_7_15__13

Great then :D

• @Tornreaper said: Haven't played the game. But it looks pretty cool. I probably won't buy it anytime soon because it doesn't strike me as an amazing game but I'd say it's worth a rental. Also Bioshock comes out next week. My money is obviously going towards that game.

I agree it's not the real Walking Dead game. I'm glad they changed it to survival instinct instead of just giving it the same name as Telltales game. When I hear THE Waking Dead game I think Telltale. Despite how I feel about it being overrated.

In fact ironically it's the same argument this time around. While I feel Telltale's game is overrated because it's only good for story, this game seems like it's only good for gameplay. Keep in mind I haven't seen much of the game. About 20 minutes so I have no idea if the story picks up. But from what I have seen It strikes me as a game that isn't exactly an "experience" but more like a fun game.

Only difference is this time people are underrating the game. Most of the hate comes from the visuals. I actually think visuals are okay. Not too detailed but an interesting style. Kind of like in Telltale's game.

What I would really like to see is these two developers team up. Survival horror elements are something that i really wanted in Telltale's game. The new game has wide open areas to explore, you have full control over your character, it has a form of gameplay which is fun but also isn't mindless action. It fixes all the problems I had with TWD with the cost of all the things I like about it. Put both games together and you get a truly amazing game.

My opinion is undeveloped because I haven't played it and I only saw a bit of the begging. however these are my first impressions. I'd say both TWD games seem equal in terms of quality but for different reasons.

How exactly does it have "good gameplay"? Gunplay is unsatisfying, stealth isn't fleshed out, melee is underpowered and zombies don't really react to it, zombies box instead of biting, later levels contain fully automatic rifles ala COD... etc.

I don't really think anyone is praising Telltale's game for the actual gameplay (unless you consider selecting dialog choices to be gameplay). People accept that the game is almost completely focused on story and the experience, and in that respect, it isn't overrated.

• All to what to reach the evil hands of Activision, it all turns to shit

• Seems interesting from what I've seen. Not amazing, but better then I expected.

Might consider getting it when the price drops.

• @zev_zev said: All to what to reach the evil hands of Activision, it all turns to shit

Pretty much this.

• I personally thought this was gonna be a terrible idea since the start. From a story perspective anyway (but the gameplay still manages to suck). I really enjoy watching the TV show but I wanted Daryl to be exclusive to the show because that's what he does best. Greg Nicotero even says he wanted to do a mini web series online but couldn't cuz of Survival Instincts and I would've enjoyed that much more than this rushed out piece.

• @Phil_TWD said: Eesh, I watched the whole video and the gameplay was boring and uniteresting.

The player can't kill face to face a walker, it has to be behind its back, and the finishing is usually the same without much variety.

It's odd, I saw the other video and kinda liked it but glad I saw this one completely.

I'll wait for it to drop to $10 or less.

Not true. You can kill a walker face to face. It just takes more than one slash. Around 3 to 4. Which makes it terrifying when you're up against more than one. However I like how they did it when you get grabbed. You have to aim to it's face to kill it but it looks really hard.

• @SonnyN18 said: rushed out piece.

Sums it up best - Activision smells a shit load of money again, thus they quickly throw some gameplay together, add zombies, buy the original actors as voice actors and wrap it up in a "prequel" story... if it was another publisher, another developer and more time, it might've been a great game, now it seems like an okay game.

• @Tornreaper said: Not true. You can kill a walker face to face. It just takes more than one slash. Around 3 to 4. Which makes it terrifying when you're up against more than one. However I like how they did it when you get grabbed. You have to aim to it's face to kill it but it looks really hard.

You make a single slashing motion to the walker's face a ridiculous amount of times, watching it slowly sway from "impact". That's not terrifying, it's just bad design.

• @Riadon said: How exactly does it have "good gameplay"? Gunplay is unsatisfying, stealth isn't fleshed out, melee is underpowered and zombies don't really react to it, zombies box instead of biting, later levels contain fully automatic rifles ala COD... etc.

I don't really think anyone is praising Telltale's game for the actual gameplay (unless you consider selecting dialog choices to be gameplay). People accept that the game is almost completely focused on story and the experience, and in that respect, it isn't overrated.

Because it's a survival horror game. The focus isn't on combat or shooting zombies. The focus is to "survive". Ammo is limited, Melee is weak, and gunplay is unsatisfying because it adds immersion, fear, and challenge. You don't play a survival horror like an FPS and then get to call it shit.

There's a large focus on gather survivors and items. The levels are pretty wide open and offer exploration and replay value.

So yeah the gameplay is good (not amazing). It isn't an action zombie killing game. Anyone who watches the show would know this.

Add Comment