User Avatar Image

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct FPS based on the TV show, published by Activision

posted by Gman5852 on - last edited - Viewed by 7K users

So I just received this in my twitter feed...

I have a bad feeling about this.

695 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Riadon said: You make a single slashing motion to the walker's face a ridiculous amount of time, watching it slowly sway from "impact". That's not terrifying, it's just bad design.

Jup, that's what annoys me the most about it, seriously Terminal Reality, is that stupid slashing animation all you got? Not at the very least different slashing animations, or some stabbing? Maybe even a button - wait a second - to grab the walker, and then sink the knife into his head. Too fast Activision? You just figured out how to make it possible to reload while running, gotta give you time...

Seriously... this game lacks much... polish... and "love" I know it sounds cliche-like but TTG's TWD is made with a lot of love and devotion and you feel it, this game though smells like money-making.

/edit: probably only Norman Reedus (Daryl) and Michael Rooker (Merle) tried to do their very best, and to give their characters as much realism and credibility as possible.

• @Tornreaper said: Because it's a survival horror game. The focus isn't on combat or shooting zombies. The focus is to "survive". Ammo is limited, Melee is weak, and gunplay is unsatisfying because it adds immersion, fear, and challenge. You don't play a survival horror like an FPS and then get to call it shit.

There's a large focus on gather survivors and items. The levels are pretty wide open and offer exploration and replay value.

So yeah the gameplay is good (not amazing). It isn't an action zombie killing game. Anyone who watches the show would know this.

So walking around an empty map, performing a single preset stealth kill, picking up meaningless items is now considered "good gameplay"? The game is not tense at all and I really wouldn't classify it as a survival horror. Games like Silent Hill, Amnesia, Penumbra, Slender, etc. are genuine survival horror games. Survival Instincts is a glorified action game that some like to classify as "survival horror" to excuse its subpar gameplay mechanics.

Give me DayZ over this joke of a game any day.

• @Tornreaper said: Not true. You can kill a walker face to face. It just takes more than one slash. Around 3 to 4. Which makes it terrifying when you're up against more than one. However I like how they did it when you get grabbed. You have to aim to it's face to kill it but it looks really hard.

oh god the sure terror of hitting a zombie, running backword, then running forward, hitting it again, and repeating until dead. How will we ever survive?

And judging from the twitter feed I'm getting from people that own this game... yeah it isn't looking good at all.

• @Riadon said: So walking around an empty map, performing a single preset stealth kill, picking up meaningless items is now considered "good gameplay"? The game is not tense at all and I really wouldn't classify it as a survival horror. Games like Silent Hill, Amnesia, Penumbra, Slender, etc. are genuine survival horror games. Survival Instincts is a glorified action game that some like to classify as "survival horror" to excuse its subpar gameplay mechanics.

Give me DayZ over this joke of a game any day.

Meaningless items? You won't say that when you run out of fuel, or ammo, or food. I can tell you haven't even see much gameplay or did your research before you decided to talk shit. And if you're expecting the streets to be filled with zombies then you have no idea what survival horror is.

If I recall Amnesia is pretty empty and you explore the area looking for items to keep your lantern going. And when you encounter a monster you have to run or hide. By your logic that is bad gameplay.

The game is tense. I've seen gameplay of a guy who almost got completely cluster fucked because he made too much noise. He was surrounded, and was running low on ammo.

Don't believe me? Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJy62aJfig

It is survival horror and you're judging it like an action game. You're the only joke here.

• @Tornreaper said: Meaningless items? You won't say that when you run out of fuel, or ammo, or food. I can tell you haven't even see much gameplay or did your research before you decided to talk shit. And if you're expecting the streets to be filled with zombies then you have no idea what survival horror is.

If I recall Amnesia is pretty empty and you explore the area looking for items to keep your lantern going. And when you encounter a monster you have to run or hide. By your logic that is bad gameplay.

The game is tense. I've seen gameplay of a guy who almost got completely cluster fucked because he made too much noise. He was surrounded, and was running low on ammo.

Don't believe me? Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJy62aJfig

It is survival horror and you're judging it like an action game. You're the only joke here.

Are you an employee of Terminal Reality? You seem to be the only person that is actually praising the game.

• @Riadon said: Are you an employee of Activision? You seem to be the only person that is actually praising the game.

Praising? I specifically said that the game is a rental over a purchase. I didn't realize the term praising meant not talking shit. I never said it's amazing. I'd said it's "okay".

Why are people like you so ignorant? People like you seem to think a game is either amazing, or bad.

• @Gman5852 said: oh god the sure terror of hitting a zombie, running backword, then running forward, hitting it again, and repeating until dead. How will we ever survive?

And judging from the twitter feed I'm getting from people that own this game... yeah it isn't looking good at all.

I've seen someone who actually played it. It can be terrifying. Maybe you could actually try it before you criticize it.

As for me, I'm not saying it's great or bad. But I will at least rent it some time soon to give it a try before I talk shit about something I barley know nothing about.

• @Tornreaper said: Praising? I specifically said that the game is a rental over a purchase. I didn't realize the term praising meant not talking shit. I never said it's amazing. I'd said it's "okay".

Why are people like you so ignorant? People like you seem to think a game is either amazing, or bad.

You misinterpreted most of the things that I said and went out of your way to praise the game while completely ignoring certain issues. Sure, I'm not exactly fair with the game in some respects (it's an obvious cash grab, and doesn't really fit into The Walking Dead franchise), but I'm doing more countering of your points (good combat and tense atmosphere) than flat out insulting at this point.

An unfounded assumption. I like Telltale's adaption and dislike Survival Instincts, that isn't a big enough sample to determine anything.

Also, chill out. I was never hostile with you, we're having a calm debate here.

• @Tornreaper said: I've seen someone who actually played it. It can be terrifying. Maybe you could actually try it before you criticize it.

As for me, I'm not saying it's great or bad. But I will at least rent it some time soon to give it a try before I talk shit about something I barley know nothing about.

Yeah and I'll probably rent it too, but when the BEST thing I've heard about the game is "it is average", it doesn't bode well at all.

EDIT:BTW I have been watching gameplay too(thanks for assuming I didn't) and the worst I saw was when one grabbed him, but was fine because he waited for the player to stab him and toss him away. That isn't scary, that is a glorified QTE. If you could, please show me a gameplay video where things actually get hectic instead of saying I know nothing about the game.

EDIT2: Just to be clear, I don't think the game is flat out terrible. I quite like the idea it went through and that you must scavange for fuel to keep your car going, having multiple survivors to join you and such, but the walkers themselves are handled terribly. I don't see how this can be considered survival horror at all when it is so easy to take out a walker as it is(and if there are too many of them, they are too stupid to give chase so you can just run. Right through them if need-be they aren't bright). I'll consider it a rental at best, but it is NOT worth a $60 purchase as it is, $20 max.

• @ZeroShoot said: well... it's before the show, so the very beginning of the apocalypse, seems like they don't know how bad a bite is just yet.

Possibly, but it happens in a scene where the player is killed due to (presumably) being bitten. I suppose if he had a ton of separate bite marks all over him it would make more sense, but even a single bite is enough to end your life.

Add Comment