User Avatar Image

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct FPS based on the TV show, published by Activision

posted by Gman5852 on - last edited - Viewed by 4.4K users

So I just received this in my twitter feed...

I have a bad feeling about this.

695 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Guys, this game is beyond horrible. It would've been horrible even in 2005, not to mention 2013.
    Where do I start. The graphics... Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines from 2003 had a 10 times better graphics and animation. Legacy of Kain from 2003 had better visuals.
    I usually do not carry about the graphics but seriously... the levels are so plain and repetitive that you might think this game is a fan made product of one person. Everything is so ugly that it completely ruins the immersion into the game.
    Invisible absurd barriers that won't allow you to explore...
    Obvious paths only. Repetitive fights and repetitive models. Not more than 3 different zombie models. Half of which look like zombie Ben.
    The lack of gameplay and visual options is also absurd.
    Seriously, the game is just plain horrible.
    There was a guy behind bars that wanted to trade stuff for food. I decided to shoot him in the head and loot everything. Guess what happened?
    The bullet went through and nothing happened. He didn't even yell "Don't shoot me".
    This game is not even made by amateurs. I mean this game can hardly deserve more than 2 dollars. I bought Left 4 Dead 2 for 5 dollars on steam, and this game is like.... only 300 worse.
    Actually I believe THEY should pay me for playing it. I mean it is that much of a torture!

This game wouldn't have been worth the money even in 2005.
    Most games back then had better graphics, gameplay and story.
    Yeah, this game would've been good if it was made by 1 person and no funds.
    But if you wanna give 50 bucks for the name the Walking Dead... sure

• @Gman5852 said: Yeah and I'll probably rent it too, but when the BEST thing I've heard about the game is "it is average", it doesn't bode well at all.

EDIT:BTW I have been watching gameplay too(thanks for assuming I didn't) and the worst I saw was when one grabbed him, but was fine because he waited for the player to stab him and toss him away. That isn't scary, that is a glorified QTE. If you could, please show me a gameplay video where things actually get hectic instead of saying I know nothing about the game.

EDIT2: Just to be clear, I don't think the game is flat out terrible. I quite like the idea it went through and that you must scavange for fuel to keep your car going, having multiple survivors to join you and such, but the walkers themselves are handled terribly. I don't see how this can be considered survival horror at all when it is so easy to take out a walker as it is(and if there are too many of them, they are too stupid to give chase so you can just run. Right through them if need-be they aren't bright). I'll consider it a rental at best, but it is NOT worth a $60 purchase as it is, $20 max.

"That isn't scary, that is a glorified QTE" Umm, Telltale's TWD is full of quick time events. Not sure what your point is. Also since when do "Walkers" actually run? We should all know by now that the zombies in this universe are slow. The only way they get you is if they crowd you.

Regardless here's your gameplay. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJy62aJfig Skip to 5:00.

@Gman5852 said: Possibly, but it happens in a scene where the player is killed due to (presumably) being bitten. I suppose if he had a ton of separate bite marks all over him it would make more sense, but even a single bite is enough to end your life.

My guess is the guy that died was nearly completely eaten which is why they killed him.

@Gman5852 said: Guys, this game is beyond horrible. It would've been horrible even in 2005, not to mention 2013.
    Where do I start. The graphics... Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines from 2003 had a 10 times better graphics and animation. Legacy of Kain from 2003 had better visuals.
    I usually do not carry about the graphics but seriously... the levels are so plain and repetitive that you might think this game is a fan made product of one person. Everything is so ugly that it completely ruins the immersion into the game.
    Invisible absurd barriers that won't allow you to explore...
    Obvious paths only. Repetitive fights and repetitive models. Not more than 3 different zombie models. Half of which look like zombie Ben.
    The lack of gameplay and visual options is also absurd.
    Seriously, the game is just plain horrible.
    There was a guy behind bars that wanted to trade stuff for food. I decided to shoot him in the head and loot everything. Guess what happened?
    The bullet went through and nothing happened. He didn't even yell "Don't shoot me".
    This game is not even made by amateurs. I mean this game can hardly deserve more than 2 dollars. I bought Left 4 Dead 2 for 5 dollars on steam, and this game is like.... only 300 worse.
    Actually I believe THEY should pay me for playing it. I mean it is that much of a torture!

Jesus it's not THAT bad. You're "opinion" is worthless and shouldn't be taken seriously.

• Just put about 8 hours into - it's not bad.

If you're familiar with the Last Stand 2 at all - it plays a lot like a first person version of the game.

It could use a bit more depth, but it's fairly fun mindless entertainment.

It does have a crappy save system.. but.... It does add to the challenge though.

• Has it already been released? I can't find it in any store, but maybe they release it in Europe later.

• @Tornreaper said: Not true. You can kill a walker face to face. It just takes more than one slash. Around 3 to 4. Which makes it terrifying when you're up against more than one. However I like how they did it when you get grabbed. You have to aim to it's face to kill it but it looks really hard.

Okay, but if the game had been actually realistic in a world apocalypse of walkers then stabbing them within the first shot it would have been the way to go.

Taking four god damn tries to get the freaking walkers dead is too much because it's time consuming, tiresome and it allows them to gather up on you.

• @Mornai said: Possibly, but it happens in a scene where the player is killed due to (presumably) being bitten. I suppose if he had a ton of separate bite marks all over him it would make more sense, but even a single bite is enough to end your life.

Oh then I got you wrong, sry :rolleyes: , I was talking about the guy who got bit in the arm trying to save the player. The player probably was bitten in a position where he'd bleed out anyways, so they shot them.
    The guy, who was bit in the arm (at least it looks like he was) seems to not know what will happen to him, that's what I meant.

• @Tornreaper said: Jesus it's not THAT bad. You're "opinion" is worthless and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Your*
    My opinion is what it is, an opinion. I've stated the reasons why I believe the game to be exactly what I described. You, on the other hand, have said nothing to counter my arguments, so the only thing that is "worthless" around here is you, pointing fingers at people just because they don't appreciate a game you love.
    I've played games back in 2003 which are not only better as games, but better looking as well. So yeah, the game is exactly THAT bad.

• ...Survival Instincts sucks. We're talking fully immobilized, body cast through a straw suckage here.

Which sucks, because I really, REALLY want to like this game.

The premise is great. Take the teen to twenties favorite "badass" of the group- who is also the only one of the lot to consistantly travel solo- and pit him against a state swarming with zombies as he heroically tries to save his brother and himself in the early days of the apocolypse. Conserve ammo, be skilled with your weapons, and sneak a lot to survive.

Just... I had a page long rant going, but I want to protect people from buying this garbage. Instantly respawning enemies, zero sense of consistancy, unrealistic healing mechanics, over powered melee, under powered firearms, tiny stack limits for ammo and items, crappy item management, immunity to infection, useless survivors, ridiculous fuel management, reused areas, areas with infinite zombies, areas with no zombies, no variety in enemies, retarded AI- they're ZOMBIES, who can navigate 3 floors and multiple doorways to chase you when you see them outside from a balcony but they can't follow you around a rock, a grappling system that makes your best bet to "run into the horde, look at their faces and get ready to click when the knife cursor turns red" which makes you practically immortal...
    It looks like crap, sounds like crap, plays like crap... and I hate it. Which sucks. I really, really wanted this game to be good. I've played through the first 6 stages and I've completely given up on scavanging because I have a fire axe and the damn car is going to stop for gas no matter what anyway.
    And none of it has anything to do with what Daryl does. Running through the woods, being silent and depending on himself.
    /rant

• It's graphics aren't great (Igot it on xbox 360) But as a fan of TWD I loved this game. I don't play really any games (Mortal Kombat, Red dead redemption, Arkham city, and like mario:)) So this I'm sure helped it's cool factor to me because it was the first game I had played like it (I dont like shooter usually but it's twd so I got it). The story is an ok story and managing survivors when its possible they could die with your weapons on them and such is fun. It feels like this is like a stepping stone to what they might do in the future but remember guys if this game isn't bought/rented/played they will never have the chance to do another one that could be even better. OH and I fucking love Herd mode. By like round 6 you feel like you are at deaths door....ringing the bell like a girl scout trying to make quota so she isn't beaten by her extremely competitive mother:p its fun times;)

• @bdawgnit1785 said: It's graphics aren't great (Igot it on xbox 360) But as a fan of TWD I loved this game. I don't play really any games (Mortal Kombat, Red dead redemption, Arkham city, and like mario:)) So this I'm sure helped it's cool factor to me because it was the first game I had played like it (I dont like shooter usually but it's twd so I got it). The story is an ok story and managing survivors when its possible they could die with your weapons on them and such is fun. It feels like this is like a stepping stone to what they might do in the future but remember guys if this game isn't bought/rented/played they will never have the chance to do another one that could be even better. OH and I fucking love Herd mode. By like round 6 you feel like you are at deaths door....ringing the bell like a girl scout trying to make quota so she isn't beaten by her extremely competitive mother:p its fun times;)

This isn't much of a first person shooter, but even Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 does a better job killing enemies within a split second with a knife.

Face to face and slit his throat or stab somewhere on his body.

Add Comment