User Avatar Image

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct FPS based on the TV show, published by Activision

posted by Gman5852 on - last edited - Viewed by 8.6K users

So I just received this in my twitter feed...

I have a bad feeling about this.

695 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DreadMagus said: Just put about 8 hours into - it's not bad.

If you're familiar with the Last Stand 2 at all - it plays a lot like a first person version of the game.

It could use a bit more depth, but it's fairly fun mindless entertainment.

It does have a crappy save system.. but.... It does add to the challenge though.

I haven't played it yet but exactly this from my first impressions. Not great but certainty not bad. Seems cool and fun but likely a skip compared to other games (Like Bioshock). It's something you're going to want to play on a slow week with no other interesting games.

@DreadMagus said: Okay, but if the game had been actually realistic in a world apocalypse of walkers then stabbing them within the first shot it would have been the way to go.

Taking four god damn tries to get the freaking walkers dead is too much because it's time consuming, tiresome and it allows them to gather up on you.

But like I said the point of the game isn't killing zombies. Of coarse they're going to gather up on you. That's why you avoid combat when possible.

@DreadMagus said: Your*
    My opinion is what it is, an opinion. I've stated the reasons why I believe the game to be exactly what I described. You, on the other hand, have said nothing to counter my arguments, so the only thing that is "worthless" around here is you, pointing fingers at people just because they don't appreciate a game you love.
    I've played games back in 2003 which are not only better as games, but better looking as well. So yeah, the game is exactly THAT bad.

Your argument is so full of shit it's not even worth countering. You don't know what a bad game is. Let me direct you to Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly.

Also:

TWD

gaming-the-walking-dead-survival-instinc

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

5_Insight.jpeg

For someone who actually has eyes.

• But like I said the point of the game isn't killing zombies. Of coarse they're going to gather up on you. That's why you avoid combat when possible.

But consider this:

You were surrounded by walkers in real life and you couldn't get behind their backs, what would you do? Back off? You couldn't. You'd get eaten.

4 attacks would be slow enough for them to get to eat you up. It's a major downside that this isn't one direct shot.

• Yeah, I would assume that such game would appeal to you. I mean you're both equally bright - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rC-HBQbeLgU

I mean why would I compare a classic with amazing visuals for its time - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx_O3aw3bro

with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vHNkGlTqRE skip to 2:30
    Daryl and Merle are the only characters that are barely acceptable (talking about looks and models). The rest are just horrible.
    The level design as seen in the video is plain and boring too. I won't even mention the gameplay anymore.
    Should I give links to games from 2005-6 that also look 10 times better?

• @Phil_TWD said: But consider this:

You were surrounded by walkers in real life and you couldn't get behind their backs, what would you do? Back off? You couldn't. You'd get eaten.

4 attacks would be slow enough for them to get to eat you up. It's a major downside that this isn't one direct shot.

That's the challenge with survival horror games. The point is to not get surrounded. If you do it's usually your fault. Like if you say used your gun. Besides I'm sure there are other melee weapons that are stronger anyway. Also it's not impossible to run away from them and then go hide.

Regardless I get your point. I think it would be much better if you could aim your knife to kill it. kind of like what happens when they grab you. Instead of doing a 4 hit combo.

• Why didn they have Telltale make something like this.

I mean take all the good aspects of the Walking Dead from Telltale and put it into a more open survival zombie games. Oh man that would be freaking epic!

• We need a GTA/ RED DEAD type of free roam game for TWD.

• @RMJ1984 said: Why didn they have Telltale make something like this.

I mean take all the good aspects of the Walking Dead from Telltale and put it into a more open survival zombie games. Oh man that would be freaking epic!

This. Both games are good for completely opposite reasons. Put the good things together and you get an awesome game. Telltale's game was too scripted and closed off. I was also really disappointed after episode 3. I was really hoping for an inventory system. like when you handing out food/supplies to people in episodes 1 and 2. I thought that was going to be a big impact. It could affect relationships, trust, and survival. What if you run out of food and starve? And I mean actually starve and get a game over for bad item management That would be a big challenge.

Sadly after episode 3 I realized the game was scripted and that stuff like relationships are only changed during key points in the story. For the next season I would love to be able to create your own choices though the gameplay instead of just following a branched bath.

I think both studios should work together on projects in the future.

• @Tornreaper said: This. Both games are good for completely opposite reasons. Put the good things together and you get an awesome game. Telltale's game was too scripted and closed off. I was also really disappointed after episode 3. I was really hoping for an inventory system. like when you handing out food/supplies to people in episodes 1 and 2. I thought that was going to be a big impact. It could affect relationships, trust, and survival. What if you run out of food and starve? And I mean actually starve and get a game over for bad item management That would be a big challenge.

Sadly after episode 3 I realized the game was scripted and that stuff like relationships are only changed during key points in the story. For the next season I would love to be able to create your own choices though the gameplay instead of just following a branched bath.

I agree so far, I would like to see such a game one day.

@Tornreaper said: I think both studios should work together on projects in the future.

But you can't mean that serious, do you? If Terminal Reality works with TellTale, Activision's gonna want the rights, that means they will publish it, and that means, that they'll be the ones putting money into it, and guess what that means? That means, that TellTale's opinion won't matter too much anymore, if Activision was involved, it would be like this:
    ACTIVISION > telltale
    Activision would get greedy again, and thus fuck the game up, or at least make something below of it's actual potential.

I would say, Rockstargames, a publisher and developer known for high quality open world games, good story writing and preeminently great characters, just like TellTale, would be a better partner for this. Also R* puts tons of effort into their games, and the last thing they would want to do, is disappointing their fans, just like TellTale, seriously that would be a dream-team. But if a game like that was to happen, it should be another, whole new story.

I want TellTale's S2 to become basically like S1, just with some more, bigger choices, which could maybe even influence the story, if possible, inventory management and that's about it.

If there one day will be plans to create another game, maybe even an open world game, it should have another original story, something whole new.

• @Tornreaper said: "That isn't scary, that is a glorified QTE" Umm, Telltale's TWD is full of quick time events. Not sure what your point is. Also since when do "Walkers" actually run? We should all know by now that the zombies in this universe are slow. The only way they get you is if they crowd you.

Regardless here's your gameplay. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BJy62aJfig Skip to 5:00.

1. Yes I do know Telltale has a bunch of QTEs in there game too, I never said it was good there either.
    2. I never watched the tv series beyond 2 episodes, so I have no clue if they can run in the series or not(which after a quick youtube search.
    3.Thank you for the gameplay footage.

@Tornreaper said: Jesus it's not THAT bad. You're "opinion" is worthless and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Wow, way to sound like a jerk. If you are just going to call everyone who's opinions are different than yours "worthless", no one will take you seriously.

@Tornreaper said: I haven't played it yet but exactly this from my first impressions. Not great but certainty not bad. Seems cool and fun but likely a skip compared to other games (Like Bioshock). It's something you're going to want to play on a slow week with no other interesting games.

So far that is actually sounding like my impressions on the game too. It doesn't look as bad as what people are saying, but it isn't high up on the "to play" list either.

Your argument is so full of shit it's not even worth countering.

And then I go back to not taking you seriously again.

• Just a friendly reminder to try and keep it civil, if you would.

Also, Kotaku aren't fans.

Add Comment