User Avatar Image

I will not play season 2 if there is a new main character

posted by chiefzackery on - last edited - Viewed by 3.7K users

That is not Clem. You showed Clem how to survive on her own and when you died she needs to go her own way not find another random man. Those two people on the hill better be walkers. Omid and Christa are most likely dead. Dont you think Clem has seen enough to run away and you can tell Clem to not trust.
Lastly After all you have done as lee to make clem who you want why would you put in a new character to develop.

327 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @chiefzackery said: That is not Clem. You showed Clem how to survive on her own and when you died she needs to go her own way not find another random man. Those two people on the hill better be walkers. Omid and Christa are most likely dead. Dont you think Clem has seen enough to run away and you can tell Clem to not trust.
    Lastly After all you have done as lee to make clem who you want why would you put in a new character to develop.

I'd prefer clem to be an NPC. Problem with playing as her is her established character and i actually think the legacy of what you can tell clem in season 1 like "do not trust" would be better observed if she is making her own choices, not you controlling her.

Only thing they could do to shake my 100% surefire purchase would be to make Lilly the main character, even then i'd probably relent and get it eventually.

• @Mikejames said: I really want to see Clementine again, but I've been tending to side with those saying that the protagonist shouldn't be a pre-established character. Though I could picture playing as Clem more than any of the others, what with the last segment essentially having Lee passing on the torch to her.

Even if Kenny did live, it would just feel odd suddenly being able to mold his morality after playing the whole first season being at odds with him.

All though I agree I'd like a new protagonist over a previous character, if they were to go with an existing character I think Kenny is actually the best choice. As some people have pointed out, by the end of episode five, if he survived, he's in a somewhat similar position as Lee at the beginning of the series from an emotional standpoint. Alone, family's gone, has some deep regrets and is probably unsure how to proceed in life.

His character, regardless of your choices or behavior to him, also probably has the most moral variance of any of the cast other than Lee. He's starts as a fairly noble guy in the first episode. Agrees to help Larry, comes back for Lee, shows major remorse over not saving Shawn. He goes through a darker period in the next three episodes, becoming increasingly selfish and uncaring. Then in the finale he has a pretty big change of heart in the attic and effectively sacrifices himself to either save Christa or keep Ben from getting eaten alive.

We basically see two sides to Kenny already so it wouldn't be much of a stretch if players were given the option to nudge him morally in the direction they desire. It's true that he has a personality and history but so does Lee. Even though we control him in the first season there's certain things you can't change about Lee (His past, him wanting to protect Clementine) and even when you make decisions you don't always control his reactions. Like if you help kill Larry he's genuinely apologetic to Lilly, there's no "Larry was asshole. Get over it." option.

Gameplay wise it'd also be the most realistic way to carry over decisions from the first season since Kenny was present for almost all of Lee's biggest choices. So if Kenny ran into say Lilly or Vernon, you'd have a character who knows those characters from the first season, knows what they did, and could realistically react maybe how the player reacts to seeing them again.

Like I said, I would actually like a new character, but if they were to go with someone from the first season I think Kenny would actually be a really good fit.

• @Jaded X Gamer said: Like I said, I would actually like a new character, but if they were to go with someone from the first season I think Kenny would actually be a really good fit.

I know I've already talked about this before, but I still think having Kenny as the PC would allow for a wicked opening for season 2. Imagine the player taking control of Kenny only a few seconds after parting ways with Lee, and helping him to evade the walkers. The saved import would determine whether you rejoin Kenny in the alley with Ben, or inside the building just after saving Christa, but it doesn't really matter since you ultimately end up in the same pre-set story location the moment you start moving.

• Threads like this make me want for an entirely new crew in season 2.

If Clem's the main of season 2 that would suck the epic suck of suckdom.

• @DreadMagus said: Threads like this make me want for an entirely new crew in season 2.

If Clem's the main of season 2 that would suck the epic suck of suckdom.

Well the odds seem against you here, i recall reading something about Telltale some time ago saying they've been thinking up ideas but none of them have involved an entirely new cast.

• Lulz....

As long as Clem isn't the main, I don't really give a shit.

• That's the problem with the way Telltale ended S1. It is obvious that some characters will return, such as Christa and Omid, Clementine and maybe Kenny, so they cannot just start with a new group so easily. The reason most people liked Lee so much was because he was an idealised version of themselves, always acting in the very best way the situation allowed in the player's opinion, creating a fairly unique character for everyone who played him. But putting you in the shoes of an already established character wouldn't make much sense, as you will instantly change him into something he/she wasn't before, removing everything you didn't like. The only one who could be excluded from this would be Clementine, as she learned almost everything she now knows from Lee, so it would sense that she would act in a similar way. However, playing as Clementine would not really work either, as most of the decisions in S1 were focused around attempting to protect her from the physical and mental dangers of the new world , keeping her as happy as she can be and teaching her to survive, and, I don't know, playing as Clementine would remove or hinder the protective instinct you form for her. Lastly, if they just introduce a new character, and have them link up with Clem, that character would probably just end up becoming "Lee the Second", basically picking up where he left off the same personality. I am very excited to see how they do S2, and hope to high heavens they do not mess it up, as many previous developers have done to sequels, especially if they try too hard to out do the already loved original.

• The absolute only thing I care about is being able to skip dialogue.

It's such a tiny thing, but for me and my instinct to go back and explore dialog options, it means having to rewatch scenes 3 or 4 times. I played the first two episodes at a friend's house, and that was enough to be a deal-breaker for me.

• @wellgolly said: The absolute only thing I care about is being able to skip dialogue.

It's such a tiny thing, but for me and my instinct to go back and explore dialog options, it means having to rewatch scenes 3 or 4 times. I played the first two episodes at a friend's house, and that was enough to be a deal-breaker for me.

I think that was intentional. After all, difficult decisions lose their effect if you can simply go back and change it easily. This way, it discourages people from going back to retry, and having decisions stick with you, even if you regret them later.

• That's the problem with the way Telltale ended S1. It is obvious that some characters will return, such as Christa and Omid, Clementine and maybe Kenny, so they cannot just start with a new group so easily. The reason most people liked Lee so much was because he was an idealised version of themselves, always acting in the very best way the situation allowed in the player's opinion, creating a fairly unique character for everyone who played him. But putting you in the shoes of an already established character wouldn't make much sense, as you will instantly change him into something he/she wasn't before, removing everything you didn't like. The only one who could be excluded from this would be Clementine, as she learned almost everything she now knows from Lee, so it would sense that she would act in a similar way. However, playing as Clementine would not really work either, as most of the decisions in S1 were focused around attempting to protect her from the physical and mental dangers of the new world , keeping her as happy as she can be and teaching her to survive, and, I don't know, playing as Clementine would remove or hinder the protective instinct you form for her. Lastly, if they just introduce a new character, and have them link up with Clem, that character would probably just end up becoming "Lee the Second", basically picking up where he left off the same personality. I am very excited to see how they do S2, and hope to high heavens they do not mess it up, as many previous developers have done to sequels, especially if they try too hard to out do the already loved original.

Add Comment