Menu
User Avatar Image

What's with everyone hating on Kenny?

posted by Advanced on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

I don't get it.

In my playthrough of the game, he was the closest person to me besides Clem.

I don't understand why people hate him for the things he did. Lets put you guys in his situations.

1. If Clem or Shawn is in trouble, wouldn't you make sure Clem is safe before Shawn is? Especially if there's another person around to help the other.

2. If Larry would be screaming that Clem is bitten and want's to throw her out, wouldn't you get defensive and wanna punch him in the face?

3. If you looted the entire area around you and ran out of resources wouldn't you want to move on if you had your own RV? Nothing left.

4. (The most debatable one, but I will always side with Kenny here) Killing Larry. I am stunned by how many people decided to try and save him. Are you guys serious? This guy was a complete arse to you the entire time. He tried to KILL YOU in EP 1 and threatened you/blackmailed you in episode 2. He was not afraid to kill you if he had the chance. In fact by trying to kill you he put Clem's life in danger more or less the same as Ben did leaving her.

And now you're in a locked room with someone who's known to have heart issues who just dropped and stopped breathing. You and your family is in danger of getting eaten by a really strong zombie with no way out.

Are you REALLY going to try and revive someone like that? Understanding very well that if you don't get it in time you just doomed everyone in that room, you, Clem, Kenny everyone. Dead. And people seem to blame Kenny for doing what he did?

Everyone can have their own opinions on this topic, but I would never put everyone at risk to try and save some that is a complete POS and is about to turn and kill you all. Kenny was absolutely in the right state of thinking here.

5. If Clem was bitten... wouldn't YOU want to hold out on killing her? Wouldn't you want to grasp on to hope and have every last second with her? It's not like he didn't come to his sense's... He did what he had to do at the very end, if you say you forced him, that's what the group is there for. Supporting each other.

Hell if Clem was bitten I would just turn off the game because I wouldn't be able to kill her. In fact in real life I don't know how I would react to something like this. Kenny was extremely strong by the end of all this.

I'll skip a lot of the minor parts here and go to EP 4

6. Finally, if you found out that Ben took away everything you had in your life... Let's say Ben got Clem killed, caused numerous other deaths and was lying to you this entire time, wouldn't YOU want him dead in the spur of the moment? At the end of the day you all have emotions.

I can keep going on and on... but every time I hear people talk about how much Kenny was an asshole I just do not get it. What would you do so different in his position? What makes him such an asshole? Because he always faced reality and told things like they were? He was just a man trying to take care of his family. What's with all the hate on him?

In fact, by the end of the game Kenny was the only one I trusted with Clem. Not only would Clem become part of Kenny's family this way (Thus giving Kenny a reason to keep going now) but I damn well know he would do everything in his power to protect her. Whatever it is, he would do whats best for her safety.

171 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @crispy01 said: (...) he will constantly bring up any one moment you don't blindly follow him. That's just me anyway.

Not only you, that's one thing about him that annoys me as well...

• Say what you will but Kenny is there from the time you meet til he is lost to the herd. No matter what you do or don't do. Unlike Lily.

• @GREYxDUZxKRUSH said: Say what you will but Kenny is there from the time you meet til he is lost to the herd. No matter what you do or don't do. Unlike Lily.

He's physically with the group. That doesn't equate to him always being there for you.

• @Mikejames said: He's physically with the group. That doesn't equate to him always being there for you.

I didn't say he is always there for you. He never abandons you. Even if Lee disagrees with him on everything he is still helping you in the end to get Clem. Agree with Lily in every way and she still leaves Lee and Clem. Kenny could have left at anytime but didn't.

• @GREYxDUZxKRUSH said: Even if Lee disagrees with him on everything he is still helping you in the end to get Clem.

Well, for me, I told Kenny to go fuck himself when he flat out refused to come help me find Clem after Lee was bit, and he threw a hissy fit and refused to come help. After that, he only came with me because of the walkers in the house making the only way out the same way I was going.

• @crispy01 said: Well, for me, I told Kenny to go fuck himself when he flat out refused to come help me find Clem after Lee was bit, and he threw a hissy fit and refused to come help. After that, he only came with me because of the walkers in the house making the only way out the same way I was going.

Kenny did not have to go to the marsh house. He chose to. He could of easily left anytime like molly or he could of abandoned them like Lily but he didn't. He stayed and possibly gave his life for others.

• @GREYxDUZxKRUSH said: Kenny did not have to go to the marsh house. He chose to. He could of easily left anytime like molly or he could of abandoned them like Lily but he didn't. He stayed and possibly gave his life for others.

Except the boat was there, not yet sea worthy and Vernon kicked his head in before he could.

• @crispy01 said: Except the boat was there, not yet sea worthy and Vernon kicked his head in before he could.

The boat was sea worthy, and he was going to wait for you and whoever went with you until you all got back, or at least night fall. Kenny was awesome, don't care what you say. If you put his family at risk to save a bastard who wanted to kill you, then I'd understand why he'd hate you. It wasn't about saving Clem, but hating you that made him not want to come. And he didn't have to come, he would be putting his life at risk for a little girl who could be dead. Sounds familiar right? Daryl thought the same, as did Shane. Daryl still ends up searching for her, and so does Kenny. If you didn't always have his back, then why should he risk his life? You know how many people have died out there? If it was Ben or Christa and Omid not wanting to go, you wouldn't care so much.

Seriously, Kenny would go with you to save your little girl when a boat was sitting there that he could escape in right then and there? And even not going with you, he wasn't leaving you to die. He was going to get the boat ready and wait for you, which in my eyes was smarter in my first playthrough. Who knew what was going to happen? For all you knew, you could need to leave Savannah in a hurry. With Kenny waiting with the boat, you could make a quick escape. And once the boat is gone, he goes to help you.

He admits his wrongs and how it bad of him to hold a grudge. If you didn't side with him enough for Ben to not be able to saved, and you saved him, causing Ken not to go with you, isn't that kinda legit? How pissed would you be? He was a danger to the group right, and he killed Ken's entire family! He killed Carley/Doug! He caused Lilly to leave! He got Brie killed and nearly killed Clem! In no less then maybe a few days period!!! And on top of that he lied about stealing supplies! You WOULDN'T be pissed? He was one of the most realistic characters I've seen in a video game or movie. Note: I saved Ben every time.

If you saved Ben, he admits it was wrong of him to want Ben dead, and was glad he wasn't the one to have to choose. He even gave his life to make sure Ben didn't face his worst fear!

If you didn't, he sacrifices himself to save Christa, someone he didn't even really get along with!

If you always had his back, he always had yours. He always defended you, and he was a true friend. If you put his family in danger or went against him when he needed you, obviously he won't risk his life for you.

I don't claim what Ken at his worst is good, but he had good reasons. he was in the wrong, but so were some of those playing to be an outright dick to him. To those who weren't and only made a small error or did one thing against him, certain things mean more than getting Duck some water xD. And even then, if you treated his family well, you can get him to come.

I think Kenny is a great character, and can be a really great guy. If he returns in season 2, I hope he takes care of Clementine like a godfather for Lee. I respect those who have opinions against Kenny, but respect mine that I feel Kenny was a great character. Lee, Carley, Clem, and Kenny and his family were like a crazy family itself, and Lee and Kenny were always best bros.

• Shit, even if Kenny doesn't like you, if only you and him go to find Clem at the end of Episode 4, he'll straight up give the boat to Christa, Omid, and Ben. A woman he always argues with, someone he wanted to leave behind at the beginning, and the killer of his family. He even says "If we're not back by nightfall, we're not coming back. Take the boat, and don't look back." I always love that part.

• @Mark$man said: The boat was sea worthy, and he was going to wait for you and whoever went with you until you all got back, or at least night fall. Kenny was awesome, don't care what you say. If you put his family at risk to save a bastard who wanted to kill you, then I'd understand why he'd hate you.

That's a bit contradictory. I saved his kid's life, defended him at the bar, gave his family half the rations, and strived to act as a mediator between him and Lilly. Despite that, the moment I tried to give Larry the same benefit of the doubt that I gave Duck, he was willing to leave me for dead at least twice. That's not pragmatism at that point, he hated me because he was defining fair weather friend, and in the next episode he defined hypocrisy.
    It wasn't about saving Clem, but hating you that made him not want to come.
    So, his personal feelings about Lee make his potential willingness to not help Clementine OK?

I should reiterate that all in all I did think Kenny was an interesting character, but that doesn't mean I see reason to justify everything he was willing to do, even if he was looking out for his family. I went from trusting him, to hating him, to feeling genuine pity, to maintaining a wary ambivalence, and finally closing on a tragic note with a semblance of respect. Twas a love/hate relationship, one of which that made the story engaging.

Add Comment