User Avatar Image

What if the new "survivor group" in S2 were bandits?

posted by Robert Morgan on - last edited - Viewed by 529 users

It would definitely be a stark contrast to the more family-orientated band of survivors in season 1. Imagine a gang not unlike the Save-Lot Bandits; a bunch of cutthroats not above resorting to savagery and self preservation. Their behaviour is justified in their own eyes, of course. Remember when Lee asked the bandit in episode 3 why they were holding everyone else at gunpoint? "'Cuz we have to, that's why!"

But imagine if the PC were allowed to exert a redeeming influence on the bandits, or at the very least, shaping them into something a whole lot less bloodthirsty than they were before. Some of the bandits would refuse to change their ways, while others...well, you get the idea. It would put the player into an incredibly suspenseful situation almost throughout the entire game, and this time, you wouldn't be given as many chances to catch your breath as you did in season 1.

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Robert Morgan said:

(I'm actually wondering if the PC could even be masked in a balaclava for almost the entire game, thus making it easier for the player to project him/herself into the character. Narrowing the PC's features down to a pair of eyes could heighten the emotions of particularly dramatic scenes in ways different from Lee, where everything was made clearly visible by his facial expressions.)

Yeah that would be cool actually.

• Haha! Being a pirate is actually a pretty interesting idea. It would come with a unique set of problems (do the zombies lurk at the bottom of bodies of water as depicted in many-a-zombie-movies? are they eating the fish? [meaning fishing would not be an option, or a very limited one] is your group capable of fixing up a large-ish boat if repairs needed to be made, are you all in one ship or are there a few smaller boats [and also, what happens if one of those boats with supplies decides to leave in the middle of the night?]). It would definitely be interesting.
    Also the faster traveling pace would be nice. And being able to visit different cities. Being stuck due to the boat breaking down or getting stuck in the city would also be cool.
    Imagine if all episode one you're looting your ass off, killing people, so on, wearing your mask, then in episode two you get left behind and you're stuck to deal with the consequences. You can either own up to the fact that you destroyed the group that's now trying to help you, or hide it. Very cool :D

I also like your idea, ZeroShoot, but I don't know if I'd want to be a goon. :P Goon to me implies stupid, but I don't think that's how you were meaning it? More like a go-for or something? I would be interested in that! Especially if you could combine yours and Mark$man's ideas hehe.

• @Desmodus87 said:
    I also like your idea, ZeroShoot, but I don't know if I'd want to be a goon. :P Goon to me implies stupid, but I don't think that's how you were meaning it? More like a go-for or something? I would be interested in that! Especially if you could combine yours and Mark$man's ideas hehe.

I mean to be the guy for the dirty work :D

• Goon- Low level member of a gang/group. AKA Do Boy/Crash Test Dummy. Usually charged with doing the jobs that are beneath leadership. Violence/Stealing/High risk etc....Mural is the govenor's goon.

• This could be an interesting direction, but I'd hate to be with an entirely unsympathetic group for too long.

One thing I loved about Lee's group was that there were a lot of normal, inherently good, people who were still forced to do terrible things. It was relatable in the sense that I could have seen myself stealing from that RV, or potentially killing the St. Johns, if I was forced into situations that desperate.

But if I was forced to play as someone choosing to stay with people going out of their way to murder others? I don't know if it would hold as much emotional weight.

@Rock114 said: So long as I don't have to be a bloodthirst, murdering, cannibal, rapist for the entireity of the season, then sure. Maybe if the PC realizes exactly how evil they've been acting at some point, and then the player has the option of turning their act around.

Heh, I wouldn't want to start as a cannibalizing rapist period.
    Lee was a good man despite being a convicted killer, but there are some extremes where no feasible redemption story would work.

• I don't know. I believe MOST things could be redeemable, IF given the right back story. For example, if you're tricked into eating human meat so that one of your "friends" has dirt on you, or if it was just a sick joke to prove something to you, I could see the "you" in the story being redeemable. Same way with rape. Say it's a case like Lee (where you're already on the way to prison), guy was accused of rape (although playing two criminals back-to-back would be kind of boring for me :P) it could be, she was 17, "you" were 23, thought she was 18/21 got slapped with statutory rape. Same with the ex-gf was really bitter and lied, said that you raped her, and you got in trouble. But both of those are pretty lame story lines hehe.
    I do get what you mean, though. I would hate to play the irredeemable asshole.

And thanks for the goon clarification, guys :D I would definitely be open to playing THAT kind of goon! Hehe

• Fascinating and frightening idea.cool

• A path of redemption or continued banditry...

Banditry is a word now :D

Add Comment