User Avatar Image

Steam Sale Spotlight

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 42.3K users

Hereupon exists a place to discuss current Steam Spotlight deals and your opinion of the games' value and/or the sale price.

4.9K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Today's Daily Deal is 50% off...

capsule_467x181.jpg

• It's good. At that price well worth it!

• So, now Baldur's Gate:EE on Steam is the same price as the original Baldur's Gate on GOG.

Barring the inevitable DRM comparison, which one should I get? I'm well aware that the original BG can be modded to use BG2's engine, add widescreen support and have other "cut" content added and such.

I'm certain more than one person on this forum probably has both versions, and I want to buy one of them.

• @Chyron8472 said: So, now Baldur's Gate:EE on Steam is the same price as the original Baldur's Gate on GOG.

Barring the inevitable DRM comparison, which one should I get? I'm well aware that the original BG can be modded to use BG2's engine, add widescreen support and have other "cut" content added and such.

I'm certain more than one person on this forum probably has both versions, and I want to buy one of them.

Everything I'm hearing suggests that you could easily simulate the "enhanced edition" experience with certain mods for the first game. But since one of those mods requires Baldur's Gate 2... well, depends on how much you want to spend.

• Enhanced Edition.

It's a "minor" upgrade in the sense that mods produce a very similar(and arguably better) experience, and doesn't have the same mod support, but at the same price I'd say Enhanced Edition is worth the lack of fuss to a new player.

• An additional question (though somewhat unrelated) is, if you were to mod Baldur's Gate, would you use Baldur's Gate Tutu or Baldur's Gate Trilogy?

(Tutu plays BG1 using 2's engine; BGT combines 1 and 2 into a single game.)

• @Chyron8472 said: An additional question (though somewhat unrelated) is, if you were to mod Baldur's Gate, would you use Baldur's Gate Tutu or Baldur's Gate Trilogy?

(Tutu plays BG1 using 2's engine; BGT combines 1 and 2 into a single game.)

EasyTutu is easier to install, tends to be more stable, and plays nicer with a wider range of mods. Most mods that were made with Trilogy compatibility were "ported" there from Tutu-compatible mods, and the Tutu version tends to be less glitchy.

• @Rather Dashing said: Enhanced Edition.

It's a "minor" upgrade in the sense that mods produce a very similar(and arguably better) experience, and doesn't have the same mod support, but at the same price I'd say Enhanced Edition is worth the lack of fuss to a new player.

This. Just disable the Steam Community in the game. It glitches the menu in the game and unless you find a way to battle it (pressing one of the F-Keys worked for me) this will get annoying soon.

The game defaults to what ever your desktop resolution is and items on the ground can be hard to spot because of that. But there is a zoom feature. You can zoom in at will. The new interface looks good and the new font for the text puts the other mods to shame.

http://www.baldursgate.com/enhancements.en.html

Also the Steam Enhanced Edition includes new stuff (4 DLC packs) already. Including at least 2 new characters for your group that function like the ones in BG2 (so they actually interact with the main character). (one in Beregost and one in Nashkell).

In the end it is up to you though. I used TuTu before and it includes most of what BG1 EE has to offer. I personally really enjoyed the Enhanced Edition but had to use cheats in both versions of the game that port the first game to the engine of the second game. I don't remember the greater WolfWere in the first game to be that hard to kill. But he is impossible when you port the first game to the engine of the second game.
    The main problem being that they regenerate health in BG2 (which is meant for players with way higher level than you can even grind in BG1) and that only 4 weapons in the whole game can harm him. Just read the topic I linked. If you stumble upon him blindly you are already dead.

• Today's Daily Deal is 66% off...

capsule_467x181.jpg

• I gotta say, the BG TuTu mods, for me, made the vanilla game actually playable. Just the fact that you could pause the game while searching through your inventory was worth it.

I mean, when you've got a game where your archers can only carry 60 arrows at once in their active slots and far, far fewer magic arrows... it's a dick move to not allow them to switch out.

Add Comment