User Avatar Image

Steam Sale Spotlight

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 43.6K users

Hereupon exists a place to discuss current Steam Spotlight deals and your opinion of the games' value and/or the sale price.

4.9K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: An additional question (though somewhat unrelated) is, if you were to mod Baldur's Gate, would you use Baldur's Gate Tutu or Baldur's Gate Trilogy?

(Tutu plays BG1 using 2's engine; BGT combines 1 and 2 into a single game.)

BGT is much, much better, includes a built in fixpack, also plays BG1 using 2's engine, is very stable and easy to install, has better compatibility with other mods (such as 1pp and widescreen). It also doesn't have the completely ridiculous spawns in BG1 that Tutu does.

Oh, and to your original question, unless you're really into fan-fiction level romance plotlines, there's really not much reason to get the enhanced edition. It fixes nothing that wasn't already fixed by mods, removes lines from cutscenes, and actually introduces a number of crash bugs.

I guess it's a matter of whether or not you're willing to spend time installing mods, and whether or not you own BG2 (as you need it for BGT and Tutu).

• @KuroShiro said: removes lines from cutscenes

It removes the cheesy lines from the intro. That's one cutscene. Not cutscenes. I personally like the new intro a lot more. I'd skip the old intro anyway. It's really not aged well.

Which one of the old mods was the one that stole your items and made it no longer possible to cheat and keep your old inventory? That's the one I played and I was furious.:mad: I wanted to keep my stuff!

@KuroShiro said: and actually introduces a number of crash bugs.

Tell me about those please. I have yet to experience a crash and I played through most of BGEE (before reinstalling Windows deleted my savegame of 30 hours into the EE).

On the romances: I haven't picked up any of the new NPCs in my first playthrough since my "dream party" was already full (Me, Imoen, Minsc, Kivan, Viconia & Dynaheir). But these were the most interesting thing in BG2 for me and a huge reason to replay it over and over to be honest.

• @der_ketzer said: It removes the cheesy lines from the intro. That's one cutscene. Not cutscenes. I personally like the new intro a lot more. I'd skip the old intro anyway. It's really not aged well.

It removed plot points from the intro.

Which one of the old mods was the one that stole your items and made it no longer possible to cheat and keep your old inventory? That's the one I played and I was furious.:mad: I wanted to keep my stuff!

Um... BGT added some tweaks where you could keep *more* of your stuff from BG1 -> 2. Not sure what you're referring to. In the original you could only keep two or three items, which you found around the opening dungeon. Keeping your BG1 inventory (especially with TotSC installed) completely blows any semblance of balance or difficulty BG2 has out of the water.

Tell me about those please. I have yet to experience a crash and I played through most of BGEE (before reinstalling Windows deleted my savegame of 30 hours into the EE).

I got quite a few random CTDs just playing the game normally, but I played it closer to release, so it's possible some of those have been fixed at this point, which would be good.

• @KuroShiro said: It removed plot points from the intro.

Plot points that are confusing to new players and that you completely forget about when they are revealed in the game later in a much better way.

@KuroShiro said: Um... BGT added some tweaks where you could keep *more* of your stuff from BG1 -> 2. Not sure what you're referring to. In the original you could only keep two or three items, which you found around the opening dungeon. Keeping your BG1 inventory (especially with TotSC installed) completely blows any semblance of balance or difficulty BG2 has out of the water.

Must be TuTu then. They added a scene where you are kidnapped between BG1 & 2 and you start BG2 with an empty inventory. In the original BG2 you could import your old save, pause the game just when it starts and drop all your (at that point still intact stuff) on the floor to pick it up after the scene with Jon Irenicus. Normally it would all be gone after that scene but if you hit the right moment you can save all your stuff. And yes that actually helps a lot either by having good gear, that fits your level from the start or by giving you enough stuff to sell to end the "get 10000 gold" - chapter early. But that really wasn't too hard to begin with. Either do one of the main quests to get enough gold or well be a thief with high pick pocket values / the right potions and a thieves guild merchant (that buys back the stuff you just stole from him/her).

• Yeah, I thought that even with TuTu, you didn't get to keep anything at the beginning except for the golden pantaloons. Because goddamn pantaloons.

• @Alcoremortis said: Because goddamn pantaloons.

Well there were a few other items.
    And the pantaloons were needed for a secret. But I never got the silver and bronze pantaloons legally in all of my playthroughs.:eek:

• Yeah, I know how to get the other items... and I did... I just never actually managed to import a BG1 game to BG2.

Because in BG2, I had to play a Bard, and those are just impossible to make work in BG1. Whereas, in BG2, they're possibly the most badass class ever. I mean, my Bard Blade could end up with an AC of -27 by the end of the game. Nothing ever hit that guy. Nothing.

• @der_ketzer said:
    Must be TuTu then. They added a scene where you are kidnapped between BG1 & 2 and you start BG2 with an empty inventory.

I think you might be mixing up BGT and Tutu? BGT was the one that added a cutscene connecting BG1 and 2.

And yeah, you have to be kind of evil to get the pantaloons. Certain party members make it impossible.

Because in BG2, I had to play a Bard, and those are just impossible to make work in BG1. Whereas, in BG2, they're possibly the most badass class ever. I mean, my Bard Blade could end up with an AC of -27 by the end of the game. Nothing ever hit that guy. Nothing.

They are almost as broken as a Kensai/Mage... almost. But that is basically cheating once you get the robe of vecna.

• Oh, I was totally evil as a bard. I just kicked out all the paladins in my party. Jaheira kinda got pissed at me, but I managed to win her over by doing her quest before turning evil. And Edwin and I were the best of pals. We were such great buddies that I gave him the Robe of Vecna, actually.

I had my bard use that super fancy elven chain that you can wear after getting the rogue trick that allows you to use any item regardless of class restrictions. I mean that, combined with the fact that he could cast stoneskin, globe of invulnerability, and spell immunity... man. He could have taken Kangaxx single handedly.

• If I may drag this thread back to the original topic, today's Daily Deal is 75% off...

capsule_467x181.jpg

And yes, that includes all its DLC as well.

Midweek Madness:
    spotlight_image_english.jpg
    Well, the title's been a lie ever since The Clone Wars happened, and it looks/feels positively ancient compared to the Lego LotR, but eh. If you want it, I won't stop you. Still too expensive for me though :(

Also, there's some more week-long deals. Odd how these have received so little fanfare, but hey ho.

20% off Articy Draft SE
    75% off Dangerous Waters
    75% off Iron Warriors: T-72 Tank Command
    75% off IronClads American Civil War 1861-1865
    75% off IronClads High Seas
    75% off IronClads Schleswig War 1864
    75% off IronClads Anglo-Russian War 1865
    75% off IronClads Chincha Islands War
    75% off Trapped Dead

...now I see why it's gotten so little fanfare. What the hell are those?

Add Comment