User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 131.7K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @GuruGuru214 said: I'd like to add that I missed out on having a Super Nintendo in the 90s, and now that I own one, I've had a lot of fun so far playing 15-20 year old games for the first time, with no influence of nostalgia.

I think a part of that is due to two things.

1. Design limitations that caused many developers to think very carefully of what they could do and what they couldn't do. Many stories I have read about unique features in games is due to that outside the box thinking developers had to do to keep that feature in the game.

2. Polish. Games couldn't be patched. They had to be almost perfect when they went Gold,
    A lot of polish is necessary. A lot of pointless fat had to be trimmed off as soon as possible.

And I think in some ways, people maybe cared more.
    These days there is a clear divide between mainstream and indie, but in those days that wasn't so clearcut.
    Many mega-corporations still had people working there with actual soul, a vision. Many are still too small to need to worry too much about labour costs and shareholders and deadlines, and could just makes what they wanted, not what would sell well to X demographic.

I sometimes imagine the industry like a onion.

As it grows, the inner layers expand but become more vulnerable to the outside world as it grows till eventually it becomes a mere dried out husk.

If I ever got round to starting an indie company, Id keep it indy.
    I wouldnt make the mistake of making bigger and better. Instead its better to be like other plants and develop many smaller seeds.
    Several teams wprking on multiple projects, from small to large, (if the funding was there)

As the saying goes, don't put all of your eggs in one basket.
    (But spreading yourself too thin is also a big mistake. So id set myself a growth limit and try to keep that growth as organic as possible. And quality gams experience would be the mantra Id try to keep. (Workplace philosophy is often an overlooked factor and can cause long-term problems. Something I would like to nip in the bud before it can be a problem))

• Picking up a couple of crazies at the airport. Woo! Hopefully my splitting headache will go away

• I'd have a headache too if I was on my way to pick up Dashing.

• Have fun, you three!

Also, not everyone cared back in the day. There were a lot of shitty games shoveled out for sixty dollars that you'd buy and be completely jipped on. The AVGN is kind of a product of that. You were stuck with those games, and on some of them you can tell they just DIDN'T CARE. That said, there were a shitton of games that were given a lot of care. Telltale still gives their games a lot of care. I'll work on streamlining my SCUMM interface.

• The Evil Dead remake is terrible.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

Fear me portland. For i am within you.

• @Secret Fawful said: Have fun, you three!

Also, not everyone cared back in the day. There were a lot of shitty games shoveled out for sixty dollars that you'd buy and be completely jipped on. The AVGN is kind of a product of that. You were stuck with those games, and on some of them you can tell they just DIDN'T CARE. That said, there were a shitton of games that were given a lot of care. Telltale still gives their games a lot of care. I'll work on streamlining my SCUMM interface.

To be fair, a lot of those games were made by the same companies.
    Ocean... Brrr! Just mentioning that company is enough to give me chills! XD

• @Secret Fawful said: To me retro means low resolution, low color games that follow an 8 or 16 bit scheme and an older type of gameplay like the 90s jrpgs or the SCUMM adventures. Innovation is fine, but what if a game doesn't want to innovate? Does EVERY game have to innovate?

i would say there is a separation between art and game mechanics, i am fine with retro art, but if the actual game is just super mario reskinned it is lame.

to help explain what i mean my basic history of playing computer games and loving it goes NES-Mega drive-PC and the reason i have never gone back to nintendo(or consoles in general even though i have owned a playstation and an xbox 360 and i messed around with the commodore and other older PC type consoles) is because essentially every game on the NES and the mega drive was just basically the same 3 games reskinned into another game and i got REALLY tried of that, to me the PC to me stood for new and innovative games types (including adventure games which have innovated since text adventures and early point and click) that try new mechanics and even invent new genres, obviously there are established genres with mechanics that happen in most of the games, but it is innovation that makes a great game, like HL2 would have not been anywhere near as good if they hadn't decided to do physics puzzles and instead just made a high resolution version of HL with a different story, it was that innovation (I'm not saying they did it first) and many others that made HL2 great.

i just think it is lazy and boring to just remake another game but with different art and story, there has to be something new and interesting about it else what is the point?

to me Retro means remake old games

• @thestalkinghead said: the reason i have never gone back to [...] consoles in general even though i have owned a playstation and an xbox 360 [...]

I'm sorry, how is this not going back to consoles?

• @Chyron8472 said: I'm sorry, how is this not going back to consoles?

they were just the extra flavor, my main meal is PC.

This discussion has been closed.