User Avatar Image

The Writing Thread

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

Herein lies the Writing Thread! Usually I just post something brief and then allow the participants to engage one another, unshackled by rules like a meeting of Tea Partiers in a debate with Muslims.

However! I propose the following rules to the writing thread, and what this thread should be about.

1.) This thread should obviously be about your own writing.

Your post should be about one of the following things.
2.) A pitch. A story you're thinking about writing, ideas you're tossing around to solicit for feedback.

3.) Brief poetry can be posted in full. Just don't make your poetry a full length story.

4.) A short story you've written that you would like to post, in part. Since a short story can run 2000 to 5000 words, do not post in full. You may post sensible length excerpts, preceded by synopsis of that portion of the story for context.

5.) A long story or novel you've written that you'd like to post, in part. Since a novel can run from 80000 words to 120000 words or more, do not post in full. You may post a sensible length excerpt, preceded by synopsis of that portion of the story for context.

Things to avoid.
Don't get in a hissy fit about criticism. It's the only way to grow as a writer.

Don't just criticize to criticize. In other words, don't be a Debby Downer. List what you think a writer did well, in addition to criticism. Tone means a lot. Don't be overly negative in the tone of your criticism.

179 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Alcoremortis said: The editing is never done.

Avi, a favorite children's author of mine, reportedly would rewrite every book he wrote about forty times before even sending the first copy to the editor.

At some point I have to believe there's no more blood to be drawn from the stone.

• Editing done.

Agents are confusing. One says my story is intriguing, the other that it's not unique enough. One says my query draws him in, the other that it's not enough.

I understand the business is subjective but, still.

Anyway, the one consistent was that my first few pages were too heavy handed with the narrator's voice and suffered as a consequence. Now with the editing done, we wait.

• Think over the last week I've queried forty people. Ugh.

• Every time I scan the list of recent threads and see this one's title (The Writing Thread), I immediately think "Why is a raven like a writing desk?"

• @DAISHI said: Best Avatar of all time.

Thanks!

One day I shall get back to writing. It's odd, Its something I enjoy doing, and I'm not exactly stuck for ideas, but I find it hard to find the motivation to get started. Once I've started writing, I can be at it for hours, but actually starting is my hard part. I have a lot of time off work over the next week, so perhaps I'll start again then.

Mind you, I said that for the two weeks I had off for my operation, and I only managed to sit down once and write (Three A4 pages plus around 5 pages of planning. Not much but I did a lot of rewriting.)

I actually went to carry on again today, but found my tablet (which I have been using together with a bluetooth keyboard as my writing device, because I can jump into another app and make quick sketches of talismans, characters and locations) was basically dead battery wise. And that my charger is broken.

• See, when I get stuck for writing something (usually because I'm about to go into uncomfortable subject matter) I start writing something else. It's a moving pen approach. And often, I tend to operate with the same general themes, so one story can easily bleed into another.

• @Alcoremortis said: See, when I get stuck for writing something (usually because I'm about to go into uncomfortable subject matter) I start writing something else. It's a moving pen approach. And often, I tend to operate with the same general themes, so one story can easily bleed into another.

I'm the same. I haven't finished my plan for this purpose. If I get stuck on what to do next, I switch to actually writing the novel. Beefing out my old ideas helps create new ones, both for the part I'm writing and for later parts of the novel.

I have an idea of what I want to happen (A beginning, middle and end), but the journey through most of these points is still blank. I have the first third fully planned out, although I briefly considered a re-write (instead of the character discovering his talisman, he could bring them back as souvenirs from a holiday on a mysterious island. It would be a lot more believable and tie in more with the prelude, but would ruin the middle section of the book, where they race against time to collect all the talismans before the villain of the book does.)

• @DAISHI said: 3 Page Synopsis.

[wall of text]

Needs spacing between paragraphs and indents at the start of each one.

• @Chyron8472 said: Needs spacing between paragraphs and indents at the start of each one.

Lol. Thanks.

• Back to querying another 40 authors.

Add Comment