User Avatar Image

What exactly is Fables?

posted by Hudomonkey on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

I have never read the comics but I'm a big fan of Telltale and I'm just wondering what the world is like and what could of genre it is.

At the moment I don't know how to react to it and whether I should be greatly anticipated or not.

Thanks!

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @puzzlebox said: It takes me AGES to get through them because I spend too long looking at the pictures. :p

Haha, no pressure right? ;)

Hehe, not at all ;)

• @puzzlebox said: It takes me AGES to get through them because I spend too long looking at the pictures. :p

A couple of years ago, there was a book of the first 75 issues covers called.. "Covers" by James Jean - it's nearly impossible to find one at a decent price anymore, but if you can, it's an incredible collection.

• Here's the thing; think of Once Upon a Time and Grimm combined switching all the lovey dovey with odd couple and monsters with wooden people.

I won't disagree about about the political piece. However, I can guarantee that Vol 1-11 is amazing. I heard the crossovers and some other issues aren't the greatest but I think this is a good series. There are some weak points but it strikes a nerve in a good way. I love questioning certain things done in the series.

I have been trying to get the cover book but $200! Here's to hoping I get a good boyfriend someday!

If you are a fan of Joss Whendon, I know people who consider this series close to the caliber of his.

• @holisk said: Here's the thing; think of Once Upon a Time and Grimm combined switching all the lovey dovey with odd couple and monsters with wooden people.

I won't disagree about about the political piece. However, I can guarantee that Vol 1-11 is amazing. I heard the crossovers and some other issues aren't the greatest but I think this is a good series. There are some weak points but it strikes a nerve in a good way. I love questioning certain things done in the series.

I have been trying to get the cover book but $200! Here's to hoping I get a good boyfriend someday!

If you are a fan of Joss Whendon, I know people who consider this series close to the caliber of his.

Here you go: http://www.coop.com.au/bookshop/show/fables-covers-the-art-of-james-jean-vol-1-jean-james-willingham-bill/9781401215767/?gclid=CJuY2Lu1prYCFUXf4AoddT8Azw

$80 plus shipping.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

The James Jean covers sport incredible stylistic variety and great compositions (low res gallery here), and Adam Hughes' "fairest" covers also bring the best out of the artist - while the art in the comics themselves really couldn't get me to buy a single issue yet. But anyway I bought the sketchbooks of artist Kim Jung-gi this month, so I am in no financial position to buy ANY art books for the next half year. :eek:

• @Vainamoinen said: ?..while the art in the comics themselves really couldn't get me to buy a single issue yet.

I had the same thought when I started reading them - it definitely feels like a throwback to the late 80's in terms of art style, but the storylines are so good that it gives you that "One more issue" feel when you're reading them.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

PlayStation Universe just posted a quick Fables 101 for folks unfamiliar with the world.

• Will I need to read any comics to play and understand this?

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@coolsome said: Will I need to read any comics to play and understand this?

Not at all. It's set before the events in the first issue, so absolutely no prior knowledge is required to play the game, but there is a lot of neat stuff for people who know the existing storylines as well.

• Cool cos a game based on a comic sounds fun.

Add Comment