User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 91.8K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DAISHI said: Faked my death and got an obituary in the newspaper.

I bet you were so pleased you thought you'd died and gone to heaven.

And fawful, I know exactly how you feel. My thoughts are with you and your partner.

• @Friar said: I have to say, I thought it was a needless addition. I think she only said it to create publicity. It is kind of cool that he is, it gives kids a role model of sorts. When you are around the age those books are intended for (9-15) and gay, having the most respected and powerful person in your favourite book being gay would do wonders for self confidence. At that age, you fear rejection from people finding out about the way you are. But given that it's not exactly explicit in the book (loosely implied), that that reasoning falls on its face. It was an after thought, with no hinting at it before the last book.

I don't think it's anymore out of place (sex wise) then the Ron/Lavender relationship. It also raises the question, do wizards get sex education?

Who isn't?

@Friar said: I think in the context of the story, it would make sense that it wouldn't really be hinted at (aside from the Mirror of Erised) until the end because the story is told from Harry's perspective and, let's face it, Harry doesn't see things that are right in front of his face. If he didn't notice that his DADA teacher was a freakin' werewolf (even after receiving a lovely Snape-lecture about how to recognize them), he's hella not going to notice that his headmaster is gay. And as such, there's really no reason to put it in the actual story, because Harry wouldn't have noticed.

I'm pretty sure J.K. Rowling had this planned from the beginning... or something like this, just because she did the whole sock thing with Erised. She might not have pinned down what it was Dumbledore saw in the mirror until later, but I'm pretty sure she'd already intended for it to be a forbidden romance of some sort, simply due to the fact that Dumbledore lied about it to Harry.

@Friar said: When I read the books, I always assumed that he had a thing for McGonagall. Even after finishing the last book ( I red it before she outed him). I'd never even thought about what Dumbledore saw in he mirror. I always assumed it was indeed the socks.

I really need to reread them...

Dumbledore didn't see Grindlewald in the mirror. He saw his family alive and well because he still mourned for his sister. In book 7, Harry thinks about when he had asked Dumbledore what he saw in the mirror, and Harry considers the connection Dumbledore had with him in that Dumbledore probably saw the same thing Harry did. Aberforth would say the reason why Albus never said any of this is because of Albus' want to keep "secrets and lies." It's probably actually because Albus was ashamed of himself, and so wouldn't reveal such a deep painful regret to an 11 year old boy. After all, when Harry is talking to Albus in book 7, Albus talks about how his sister's death stopped him looking for the Hallows, and kept him from pursuing the post of Minister of Magic.

Also, if the reason why Dumbledore is an old bachelor whose very best friend was a guy is because Dumbledore is gay, then Harry must be somewhat bisexual because Ron was "the thing Harry would miss most" in Goblet of Fire, and all the other teachers at the school must be gay since none of them are married either.

Also, by that standard, one could assume that Merry and Pippin or Frodo and Sam are gay lovers in the Lord of the Rings.

So no, it doesn't fit for Rowling to say that about Dumbledore. In fact, even bringing it up in the first place makes no sense.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: Also, by that standard, one could assume that Merry and Pippin or Frodo and Sam are gay lovers in the Lord of the Rings.

Sam's preference for the female sex of the halfling are rather obvious...

Frodo's are not. :cool:

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I really need to get back to remaking my adventure game...

• Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, I figured out how to write a short line of Rollercoaster Tycoon erotic fiction involving Dynamite Dunes and Dynamite Blaster.

Excitement rating was 6.65.

• Does anyone know of any halfway decent (i.e. relatively easy to use) RPG makers for Mac (preferably free)?

Alternatively, any kind of game creation toolkit will do (i.e. it doesn't have to be an RPG one).

I would like to knock together a quick, humerous game over the next couple of days.

Many thanks.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I don't know of any RPG toolkits (although RPG Maker works fine in Windows virtualization programs on the Mac), but for adventure games, there's Sludge. Since it's become open source, the whole program is designed to be run on a Mac (although Windows and Linux versions exist too).

• When I read the Lord of the Rings for the first time, I was convinced that Merry was female and that Merry and Pippin were lovers.

I was also ten.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I really want to live to 100 so that I'll have to actually lie that I'm younger in order to get past the Leisure Suit Larry age verification test. :p

• @Jennifer said: I don't know of any RPG toolkits (although RPG Maker works fine in Windows virtualization programs on the Mac), but for adventure games, there's Sludge. Since it's become open source, the whole program is designed to be run on a Mac (although Windows and Linux versions exist too).

Thanks a plenty. I'll give it a whirl.

@Jennifer said: I really want to live to 100 so that I'll have to actually lie that I'm younger in order to get past the Leisure Suit Larry age verification test. :p

Pfft! You'll be far too busy changing your colostomy bag and developing an inexplicable fondness for knitting mittens to play any adventure games.

This discussion has been closed.