User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island Season 2 Speculation and Suggestion Thread

posted by Important-Looking Pirate on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 17.2K users

When's that scheduled for then? :D

564 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • See you next Wednesday....

AAAAAAARGH!

• hopefully telltale will release a statement that now that they are finished making a season og Walking Dead that they will start making a new season of Monkey Island. Or have they anounced that they are working on another project?

• @Perklausen said: hopefully telltale will release a statement that now that they are finished making a season og Walking Dead that they will start making a new season of Monkey Island. Or have they anounced that they are working on another project?

They have several more projects in the works: Fables, King's Quest, the Walking Dead season 2, and an oft-rumored second season of Back to the Future. Not to mention the fact that LucasArts doesn't seem interested in making any more non-Star Wars games again and the prospect of a second season of Tales is looking pretty slim. I know, it sucks.

• @Woodsyblue said: They have several more projects in the works: Fables, King's Quest, the Walking Dead season 2, and an oft-rumored second season of Back to the Future. Not to mention the fact that LucasArts doesn't seem interested in making any more non-Star Wars games again and the prospect of a second season of Tales is looking pretty slim. I know, it sucks.

Is LucasArts really in control of its IPs anymore? Disney might well be more accomodating to licensing. Sure there are plenty of projects in the works, but they put Sam & Max Season 3 on the backburner when Tales fell on their laps, right?

If not, can't wait for Fables, King's Quest and (if it comes out) BttF Season 2.

• Is LucasArts really in control of its IPs anymore?

Well, while Disney technically speaking owns the all LucasFilm's and its subsidiaries' IPs, I'm pretty sure LucasArts still regains a hefty amount of creative control when it comes to these IPs. After all, Marvel is owned by Disney, and it's not like Disney calls absolutely all the shots.

Disney might well be more accomodating to licensing.

Disney already has a light-hearted pirate-themed IP that's much more profitable and well-known than Monkey Island. I think they would rather work with Pirates of the Caribbean than MI, because... let's face it, MI is incredibly, incredibly niche.

Sure there are plenty of projects in the works, but they put Sam & Max Season 3 on the backburner when Tales fell on their laps, right?

Well, the difference is, TellTale could pretty much do whatever they wanted with Sam & Max thanks for Steve Purcell controlling all the rights to the IP. But when it comes to licensing, there are also different date restrictions for projects. Depends on the deal.

• I just wanted to bump this forum thread and let (anyone who's listening) know that there are patient, loyal fans out here waiting for another chance to enjoy the lovable hijinks of Guybrush Threepwood.

• From last interview with Dan Connors... http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/telltale-games-ceo-dan-connors-on-the-walking-dead-fables-and-building-a-television-studio-model-for-games/

Now does that give you pause? When you look at Monkey Island, which is a very interesting case where you’re working with a familiar IP in the realm of gaming. It’s not a comic book or a TV series, it’s a classic game. The news came out a few years ago that you had the license for King’s Quest. Do you re-think how you approach that or whether or not you do something like that when it sort of represents… a step away from the Telltale voice?

I think there’s an expectation that comes with the classic stuff that puts us in kind of a no-win position where we’re going to disappoint on some level if we don’t stay true to the roots there. Right now we’re in a place where we’re really pushing in a new direction. I think there’s a possibility to be back in that space and modernize some of the older franchises still, but right now our focus is certainly The Walking Dead and Fables: The Wolf Among Us. They’re taking up a lot of our mental bandwidth.What we do next is still something we’re working on, but I think we’re going to have some very cool, future-looking announcements. I think ‘modern’ is kind of the key word. Bringing stuff forward from the past, that’s not a huge focus for us right now.

I'm not sure that I'd like to see a "modernized" version of Monkey Island... anyway from this interview my impression is that Telltale is no longer interested in doing a new Monkey Island (or any new graphic adventure) anymore :(

• Well you can easily say that they've done that once with Tales already. Besides it takes more than just interest in doing another Monkey Island to do it as I'd imagine negotiations for the rights would be complex. You can't just say "let's do another Monkey Island" and do it.

• @corruptbiggins said: Well you can easily say that they've done that once with Tales already. Besides it takes more than just interest in doing another Monkey Island to do it as I'd imagine negotiations for the rights would be complex. You can't just say "let's do another Monkey Island" and do it.

That's right, but they shouldn't have closed the game with an open ending...

• What with LucasArts being dissolved, it's unlikely they'll make a season 2 - although if Telltale has the licensing and does it independently of Disney, they may allow it. In the unlikely event there is another game, though, they need to get away from LeChuck. Let him die, please. It is getting a bit old. They need to keep the old formulas (recipes, insults, island-hopping, maps) but completely overhaul the plot formula.

Add Comment