User Avatar Image

Telltale's King's Quest license pulled by Activision

posted by MtnPeak on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

Paul Trowe of Replay says TTG no longer involved with KQ. Sorry for the long excerpt (hope that's ok), but thought everyone here should see this, especially the part at the end. Trowe certainly makes for a good interview subject, and he's definitely passionate about classic-style adventure games.

I would have actually been thrilled if Replay had acquired licenses from Activision. Replay's Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded is looking DAMN good, and at least you know the people over there are actually big fans of the classics!

Read whole thing here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/looking-at-leisure-suit-larry-reloaded-and-whats-ahead-for-replay-games-with-paul-trowe/


...Perk up, longtime Sierra fans. Company founders Ken and Roberta Williams have been doing some chatting with their former employee-turned-Larry crusader.

“I want to do a game with Roberta,” Trowe said matter-of-factly. “I emailed Ken and Roberta, [and] Roberta said that she will do another game depending on how the outcome of our first one goes. I will do my absolute fucking very best not only because I would anyway, but because I want Roberta to be proud of us and I want to work with her again.”

A new Roberta Williams game doesn’t automatically mean a new King’s Quest game, unfortunately. Trowe is unsure of Activision’s willingness to hand over the rights to the series. Reports from a couple of years back put those right in the hands of Telltale Games, the California-based studio behind 2012′s critically acclaimed The Walking Dead series. Now Telltale is preparing to turn its attention to a similar episodic treatment of Bill Willingham’s Fables. According to Trowe, Telltale is out of the King’s Quest picture.

“They had [the King's Quest rights], and we were going to license it from them to make the remakes. I wouldn’t do a King’s Quest without Roberta. [Telltale senior VP of publishing] Steve Allison told me that they have the rights but they don’t have the bandwidth.” Allison offered to look into sub-licensing King’s Quest out to Replay, but Trowe hit a dead end when he brought the conversation over to Activision. ”I talked to the guys at Activision and they were like, ‘No, we’re pulling it [from Telltale] because we’re going to do it ourselves.’”

This is the first public mention of Activision’s plans for King’s Quest since the Telltale connection was first revealed in early 2011. We’ve reached out to Activision for comment and will update accordingly when we hear back. Think about the possibilities though. More Leisure Suit Larry, post-release content updates, a planned F2P casino game, and the possibility of an entirely new game from Roberta Williams. It’s like 1987 all over again. Trowe is just as much excited gamer as he is industry professional, but wouldn’t you be too?

129 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This is a repost, for people who don't visit the King's Quest forums (ie. most of you).

    @MtnPeak said: Paul Trowe of Replay says TTG no longer involved with KQ. Sorry for the long excerpt (hope that's ok), but thought everyone here should see this, especially the part at the end. Trowe certainly makes for a good interview subject, and he's definitely passionate about classic-style adventure games.

    I would have actually been thrilled if Replay had acquired licenses from Activision. Replay's Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded is looking DAMN good, and at least you know the people over there are actually big fans of the classics!

    Read whole thing here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/looking-at-leisure-suit-larry-reloaded-and-whats-ahead-for-replay-games-with-paul-trowe/

    ...Perk up, longtime Sierra fans. Company founders Ken and Roberta Williams have been doing some chatting with their former employee-turned-Larry crusader.

    “I want to do a game with Roberta,” Trowe said matter-of-factly. “I emailed Ken and Roberta, [and] Roberta said that she will do another game depending on how the outcome of our first one goes. I will do my absolute fucking very best not only because I would anyway, but because I want Roberta to be proud of us and I want to work with her again.”

    A new Roberta Williams game doesn’t automatically mean a new King’s Quest game, unfortunately. Trowe is unsure of Activision’s willingness to hand over the rights to the series. Reports from a couple of years back put those right in the hands of Telltale Games, the California-based studio behind 2012′s critically acclaimed The Walking Dead series. Now Telltale is preparing to turn its attention to a similar episodic treatment of Bill Willingham’s Fables. According to Trowe, Telltale is out of the King’s Quest picture.

    “They had [the King's Quest rights], and we were going to license it from them to make the remakes. I wouldn’t do a King’s Quest without Roberta. [Telltale senior VP of publishing] Steve Allison told me that they have the rights but they don’t have the bandwidth.” Allison offered to look into sub-licensing King’s Quest out to Replay, but Trowe hit a dead end when he brought the conversation over to Activision. ”I talked to the guys at Activision and they were like, ‘No, we’re pulling it [from Telltale] because we’re going to do it ourselves.’”

    This is the first public mention of Activision’s plans for King’s Quest since the Telltale connection was first revealed in early 2011. We’ve reached out to Activision for comment and will update accordingly when we hear back. Think about the possibilities though. More Leisure Suit Larry, post-release content updates, a planned F2P casino game, and the possibility of an entirely new game from Roberta Williams. It’s like 1987 all over again. Trowe is just as much excited gamer as he is industry professional, but wouldn’t you be too?

    Comments?

    Hey Puzzlebox, I know you're out there.

  • Man, really? I'm not the biggest Kings Quest fan but I was looking forward to seeing Telltale do a straight-up, old school adventure game again. :(

    Guess that explains how they were able to jump into a second Walking Dead season so quickly.

  • This morning I decided it would be really "funny" to post that KQ had been canceleld with 90% complete after Telltale discovered everybody thought it was cancelled anyway, but that Lucasarts were going to create a brand new game instead.

    Then I saw this thread

    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=783495#post783495

    Ouch

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    As it stands, it's still a third party rumor (since it's coming from Paul Trowe of Replay and not from anyone at Telltale or Activision).

    In a separate interview with the same website (that was mentioned at the bottom of the Paul Trowe interview), Telltale CEO Dan Connors didn't mention anything about Telltale losing the license when he was asked about King's Quest.

    It could very well be true, but I wouldn't take it as fact until either Telltale or Activision confirms it.

  • Frankly, I don't understand. If Telltale had the license then that means a contract was signed. Therefore, how would Activision be able to say "fuck it. We're breaking our legally binding contract because we changed our minds on a whim. So, all of that work you've put into the new King's Quest game so far, Telltale; it's now scrapped because we say so".

    Sounds like it's either bullshit or that we're not being given the whole picture here.

  • @Jennifer said: In a separate interview with the same website (that was mentioned at the bottom of the Paul Trowe interview), Telltale CEO Dan Connors didn't mention anything about Telltale losing the license when he was asked about King's Quest.

    No, but he does say that TTG is looking to the future and not to the past. He cites Tales of Monkey Island as a game rooted in TTG's past ("in the types of LucasArts games that kept Telltale as the ‘little LucasArts’ that I think people used to call us") in comparison to how BTTF, JP and TWD are TTG's future. He talks about how TWD firmly sets TTG apart as being their own style and no longer like LucasArts.

    He also says TTG doesn't have the "mental bandwidth" to work on KQ right now. So 1) KQ is the past, and 2) they are too busy to bother.

  • @Chyron8472 said: No, but he does say that TTG is looking to the future and not to the past. He cites Tales of Monkey Island as a game rooted in TTG's past ("in the types of LucasArts games that kept Telltale as the ‘little LucasArts’ that I think people used to call us") in comparison to how BTTF, JP and TWD are TTG's future. He talks about how TWD firmly sets TTG apart as being their own style and no longer like LucasArts.

    He also says TTG doesn't have the "mental bandwidth" to work on KQ right now. So 1) KQ is the past, and 2) they are too busy to bother.


    IN SHORT: "We're leaving our roots behind to chase the mighty dollar".

  • "Marketplace realities" I think is the proper term.

    Where did I hear that? Oh yeah, it was why LucasArts said they abandoned Sam & Max: Freelance Police, which I believe was a reason why many actually left LA to start working at Telltale.

  • @St_Eddie said: IN SHORT: "We're leaving our roots behind to chase the mighty dollar".

    Why I disagree with this stance.

  • @Udvarnoky said: Why I disagree with this stance.

    I don't understand what you're pointing out or how you're in any way using it to prove St_Eddie is wrong.

Add Comment