User Avatar Image

Steam Sale Spotlight

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 24.7K users

Hereupon exists a place to discuss current Steam Spotlight deals and your opinion of the games' value and/or the sale price.

4.9K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Quite possibly. It's also been on sale several times before - I'm guessing this time it's to promote the semi-sequel.

• It was in the Humble THQ Bundle.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Ah, guessed as much. Just couldn't be bothered to check. ;)

Today's Daily Deal is 75% off...

header_586x192.jpg

• Should I bother to get the newest POP game? I know it's impossible to die and all that.

I have Sands of Time but not the others.

• Sands of Time is the only must-own, I think, though the others in the series aren't bad (particularly Two Thrones). The newer POP is pretty to look at and interesting, even if it doesn't quite have the charm of Sands. It's worth a get while it's cheap

• Okay, wait.

Buying all the individual games comes out to $12.50 (5 games @ $2.50 ea), but buying them in a bundle is $15. And apparently each of the 5 games is down from $10, while the bundle is down from $60.

What sense does that make?

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Price-wise, they've screwed up completely. Oops. But even so, you might as well get them all.

(Disclaimer that the following is my opinion only, etc)

Warrior Within had the best (and bloodiest) fighting mechanics of the entire series and some very nicely designed levels giving more of an open feel than the rest of the series, but the tone was amazingly emo and the female characters... yeesh. I refuse to believe that anyone can cosplay as them without enduring some MAJOR chafing.

Two Thrones is definitely a solid game, but in the attempt to be somewhere in between SoT and WW in terms of setting and tone it feels a little lost in decided what it's trying to be. The writing's a bit generic, the levels VERY linear, the combat a little tamer than WW and the chariot chases can go die in a fire.

Forgotten Sands feels like someone else making a PoP game in that it just feels a little bit off. The running-jumping-fighting mechanics are all fine, but they're just different enough from the other games to feel slightly wrong somehow. Still a fun game, mind, and the elemental powers are fun, but the bosses are weak and it's oddly short compared to the others.

PoP '08... it's weird. I used to call it Quick-Time-Event: The Game, but then Heavy Rain came out and proved what a QTE game actually is, so now I have to call it Auto-Pilot: The Game. The whole idea of the game is that you're rarely not moving, and the whole 'no death' thing means that the flow of the game is almost constant, and everything's been simplified to maintain that (from the controls to the game mechanics), but yeah, it does make it rather easy as well.

None of the games are out-and-out bad. At their worst, they're still perfectly enjoyable games. But each one has their own flaws and quirks, which is why I say get 'em all. They're all different, and you're bound to like at least one of them.

• @der_ketzer said: Also Borderlands 2 is cheap on Gamersgate (and they ran out of keys)
    http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-BL2/borderlands-2

So if you want to start hating Claptrap right now this is your chance.

If anyone's looking for another shot to get Borderlands 2 cheap, I just found one at Gamesplanet UK. 50% off, making £14.99 (ie €17.67, $22.69).

• @Chyron8472 said: Should I bother to get the newest POP game? I know it's impossible to die and all that.

Also of note is that it uses Ubisoft's always-on DRM, which I didn't notice until just after I bought it just now.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@GuruGuru214 said: Also of note is that it uses Ubisoft's always-on DRM, which I didn't notice until just after I bought it just now.

I thought they'd switched it to a basic one-time activation now. Or was that just AssCreed?

Add Comment