User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 32.2K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It depends. Does it pay more than being a grad student?

• Sure. Of course under my reign we'd probably see more two-parters and less complex overarching story arcs, but I think people would learn to live with it once we start bringing back the Monoids and such. Oh, and the next Doctor has to be a black woman for about 30 seconds before saying 'nah, too weird' before becoming the regular white man, just to shut everyone up. Also the TARDIS needs to be a darker shade of blue, the Doctor's gotta lose the bow-tie and we need mar episodes set on Earth.

(might not be entirely serious with all of that)

• @Alcoremortis said: It depends. Does it pay more than being a grad student?

Even being an illegal immigrant pays more than being a grad student.

@Alcoremortis said: Oh, and the next Doctor has to be a black woman for about 30 seconds before saying 'nah, too weird' before becoming the regular white man, just to shut everyone up.

Reminds me when Romana regenerated just for fun, and had to try on several different bodies before (sort of) getting the approval of Doctor #4. So that concept is not entirely unheard of.

• @WarpSpeed said: Even being an illegal immigrant pays more than being a grad student.

I dunno. I currently make more than my own mother ever did. I don't like to talk exact numbers of money or anything, but being a science grad student pays well enough to live quite comfortably and be able to support one or two additional people. At least in my department. Since we have all the money.

• @Alcoremortis said: I dunno. I currently make more than my own mother ever did. I don't like to talk exact numbers of money or anything, but being a science grad student pays well enough to live quite comfortably and be able to support one or two additional people. At least in my department. Since we have all the money.

It's been a couple of decades since I was a grad student, and I could go all Monty Python on you ("In my day...."), but I'd glad they're paying a reasonable amount now. At least in your department.

• @WarpSpeed said: It's been a couple of decades since I was a grad student, and I could go all Monty Python on you ("In my day...."), but I'd glad they're paying a reasonable amount now. At least in your department.

It's probably a combination of different things. I mean, I'm in biochemistry and molecular biophysics at research university, so they make sure to pay us well so that we spend our time in lab and not trying to make enough money to not starve. Probably because they realize they get more work out of grad students who don't have to worry about money.

And it's true. There's enough of a buffer there that I barely even think about spending money on things. Then again, I tend to not spent a lot of money. Most of it goes to food and housing and then every once and awhile, I shell out fifteen to twenty bucks for a kickstarter or a game that I don't have time to play.

• BBC America showed a repeat of "Blink" tonight.

I forgot how much I love David Tennant as the doctor.

• Sylvester McCoy's been telling everybody who'll listen that none of the classic Doctors were ever approached for the 50th Anniversary special, but one rumour says that the Beeb did speak to Ecclestone (he's apparently turned the opportunity down)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04/05/did-christopher-eccleston-agree-to-be-in-the-50th-anniversary-doctor-who-then-pull-out-no/

Assuming this to be true, it does leave open the possibility of him returning to the role in some capacity, some day. Which is a bit of an advance on "Never", right? :)

Add Comment