User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 7.5K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Gibbeynator said: R.I.P. LucasArts.

Brilliant news. It's like euthanasia; it was the kindest thing to do.

R.I.P. Lucasarts. I once loved you but your dementia became completely insufferable during the later years.

• @LuigiHann said: Not from Telltale, apparently. Reading that, it feels like LucasArts just died twice in the past half hour

Well, at least we know that Tim Schafer and Double Fine are still interested in trying to get their hands on the Grim Fandango property.

• @GaryCXJk said: Just LucasArts, they haven't said anything about LucasFilm.

They also shuttered the people who were making the Clone Wars cartoon.

• @GuruGuru214 said: Well, at least we know that Tim Schafer and Double Fine are still interested in trying to get their hands on the Grim Fandango property.

I hope they succeed. I hope they succeed so hard that they also get Monkey Island in the process.

• While i would like to see a new Monkey Island game, i was sorta hoping for TTG getting it to keep the story going after the open ending of ToMI. Also didn't Tim Schafer said he wanted to start back at the ending of MI 2? Don't get me wrong i would like to know The Secret of Monkey Island like Tim wanted to show but say whatever you want about MI 2's ending but let's face it, the aftermath of it gave us one of the best adventure games, Curse of Monkey Island :/.

• I'd be shocked if Double Fine went after Monkey Island. Of all the possible parties, I'd say they're the least entitled to it, now that Ron Gilbert's left. I'd say I'd expect any possible sale to be done either to Ron Gilbert (and wherever he works for a short period before leaving after making the one game he wanted to make) or to Telltale, as they're the two with the most relation with the brand. Ideally I'd like to see some sort of co-ownership deal though because I'd hate to have a Ron Gilbert Monkey Island game that makes no sense when put against Curse, Escape, or Tales.

Actually, could Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, and Dave Grossman just get equal shares and join together? That'd be fun.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@ryannumber1gamer said: Also didn't Tim Schafer said he wanted to start back at the ending of MI 2?

That was Ron Gilbert. And he didn't exactly say that. He said he wanted to make his "Monkey Island 3", but if I remember correctly he also said that he didn't want to lose the stories that the franchise had gained since then.

He was a part of the initial story design process of Tales of Monkey Island, and was likely the reason why Tales tended to be more in tone with the first two Monkey Island games (and especially with the evolution of The Voodoo Lady, since you can already see hints towards the revelation of her character in Tales in Monkey Island 2).

• I have no idea how i mixed up Tim with Ron :/ Anyway while what i just don't get is how he can make it a MI 3 while keeping with the canon of the other games. In my opinion one of the best things in MI is the jokes and references back to other games in the series :/

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@ryannumber1gamer said: I have no idea how i mixed up Tim with Ron :/ Anyway while what i just don't get is how he can make it a MI 3 while keeping with the canon of the other games. In my opinion one of the best things in MI is the jokes and references back to other games in the series :/

I don't think he meant that he'd literally make it Monkey Island 3. I just think he meant he'd make the game that he wanted to make had he not left LucasArts in the early 1990's. He did say that he enjoyed Curse of Monkey Island and he was directly involved in Tales of Monkey Island, so I doubt he'd ignore those games altogether.

• @St_Eddie said: Brilliant news. It's like euthanasia; it was the kindest thing to do.

R.I.P. Lucasarts. I once loved you but your dementia became completely insufferable during the later years.

I completely agree.

Add Comment