User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 9.7K users

...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.

681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Irishmile said: The interesting thing about that petition is that it was started by Bill Tiller, who worked on The Dig, Curse of Monkey Island, and created A Vampyre Story and Pirates of Vooju Island.

Id sign one to give him the rights to Curse of Monkey Island.

• Good News: No more half-baked Star wars games.

Bad news: No more of LucasArts' franchises which are actually good.

I'd say in the end, it comes out even.

• @OzzieMonkey said: Idk what good this will do, but for even the slightest bit of hope, sign this thing:
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/speilberg-should-buy-classic-lucas-arts-ips/

Bill's clearly put this petition together without putting much thought into it (there are spelling mistakes everywhere in the introduction). Also, if I'm honest, the Spielberg thing is more than a little bit bizarre and out of left field.

Steven-Spielberg.jpgSpielberg; humanity's last hope

I'm not having a go at Bill (I'm a fan of his work), it's just that I suspect this petition was created within moments of hearing the news, with no preparation or forethought. He should have taken a deep breath and thought about what the best cause of action to take was.

Besides, it's not like Disney can't license or sell off the IPs to other developers.

• I've always imagend Bill Turner would look like Cutthroat Bill.

tumblr_static_tumblr_mjioo2nszr1qhup4ro1

• @St_Eddie said: Bill's clearly put this petition together without putting much thought into it (there are spelling mistakes everywhere in the introduction). Also, if I'm honest, the Spielberg thing is more than a little bit bizarre and out of left field.

Steven-Spielberg.jpgSpielberg; humanity's last hope

I'm not having a go at Bill (I'm a fan of his work), it's just that I suspect this petition was created within moments of hearing the news, with no preparation or forethought. He should have taken a deep breath and thought about what the best cause of action to take was.

Besides, it's not like Disney can't license or sell off the IPs to other developers.

That was my thought as well.. but I still signed it.. Not that I think Spielberg would be any better than Disney.. I am just hoping that Disney will look at game franchises beyond just Star Wars... let them know people still want these games.

• @coolsome said: I've always imagend Bill Turner would look like Cutthroat Bill.

tumblr_static_tumblr_mjioo2nszr1qhup4ro1

Strangely, until now I never knew it but... me too!

• Bill sometimes reads or is directed to these forums, so I'm just going to take a moment to make a thoughtful, well-reasoned statement in regards to his hopes that Spielberg acquires Monkey Island or such instead of Ron Gilbert.

NO!!!!!

NO DEAR LORD NO!

NO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• @Udvarnoky said: Mixnmojo isn't going anywhere. If anything, recent events give the site even more to snark about. The future of LEC adventure game IP doesn't look particularly promising, but then what else is new? I mean what, really, changes with regard to those properties compared to yesterday?

Consider also that companies like Telltale and Double Fine are thriving as never before and Bill Tiller's A Vampyre Story Kickstarter is probably weeks from launching at this point. And you can't definitively rule out something happening one day with one of those cherished licenses.

There's plenty to talk about.

You're staff for Mixnmojo?

• @StrongBrush1 said: Good News: No more half-baked Star wars games.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Haha, oh man.

That's a good one.

@StrongBrush1 said: After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games

Add Comment