User Avatar Image

Worst Levels You've Ever Encountered

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

In almost every game (mostly action or platformer games) there's always that one level that we dislike, hate or absolutely despise. It's the one that thought was crap upon our first playthrough, and it's the one we dread upon each replay. It might have caused you immense frustration and made you tear out your hair, it might have seemed almost impossible, it might have been one of those levels that presents a problem that seems to have no solution whatsoever, it might have been poorly designed, it might have been annoying, or you might've just plain not liked it for your own personal reasons. For whatever reason it may be, we all have levels that we hate and wish never existed.

So share your tales of frustration here, tear your least favourite levels to shreds, nitpick, explain why these levels were so terrible, and criticize and abuse the designers of said levels (whoever they may be).

99 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Monsoon and Armstrong boss levels on Metal Gear Rising.

• Turnabout Big Top. Not because it's difficult, but because of the writing.

I hate all of the characters I've encountered in it thus far, including the Guy I'm defending, and it wouldn't even let me touch a glaring contradiction that absolutely needed to be said. And this is only the first part of the case.

• @coolsome said: Monsoon and Armstrong boss levels on Metal Gear Rising.

I agree completely. They were annoying

• That level is nothing compared to the Peter Puppy level.
    Now that level was just EVIL!!!

• @ryannumber1gamer said: I agree completely. They were annoying

Jetstream Sam was the best boss on the game.

• Several sections from Duke Nukem Forever can go suck an egg-shaped grenade.

First, there's the two-and-a-half level intro that takes 30-45 minutes to get through before you an actually start playing the game proper. 45 minutes of boring crap in a Duke Nukem game? What the hell were they thinking?

Next there's the driving levels. All of them. They go on for WAY too long. Shorter bursts would have been fine, but ugh. Worst of all is the full-sized car which might have been tolerable if they didn't constantly force us to stop and find fuel for the damn thing. THREE TIMES? Bullshit.

Then there's the Underwater levels, which just plain fail all round.

...actually, I could bitch about DNF for quite a while. Might as well just do a full review of it.

• @Darth Marsden said: Several sections from Duke Nukem Forever can go suck an egg-shaped grenade.

First, there's the two-and-a-half level intro that takes 30-45 minutes to get through before you an actually start playing the game proper. 45 minutes of boring crap in a Duke Nukem game? What the hell were they thinking?

Next there's the driving levels. All of them. They go on for WAY too long. Shorter bursts would have been fine, but ugh. Worst of all is the full-sized car which might have been tolerable if they didn't constantly force us to stop and find fuel for the damn thing. THREE TIMES? Bullshit.

Then there's the Underwater levels, which just plain fail all round.

...actually, I could bitch about DNF for quite a while. Might as well just do a full review of it.

I played that game for around 2 hours, quit and never came back to it. It's still sat on my shelf, gathering dust. 'DNF' feels like a cheap, low-budget title. Almost like some kind of indie game. The environments feel sterile and lifeless. It actually reminded me of that shitty 'Die Hard' game for the Gamecube; 'Die Hard: Vendetta'.

Such a waste of money...

• The frustrating thing is that, if you persevere, you can see how DNF COULD have been good. The pieces are there, they're just... someone mixed them up with an incredibly generic puzzle that nobody gives a toss about and the end result is a horrid picture that nobody could love.

Best metaphor ever.

• @Darth Marsden said: ... Best metaphor ever.

If you do say so yourself. :p

• Wing Commander 3 heart of the tiger, At one point I was just lost out in space some where. Zelda a link to the past took me months to get the damn flute, Beavis and Butt Head I didn't even bother to finish, every time the principle caught me. All of the super star wars games. Spider man and venom Maximum carnage, Donkey Kong 1,2,3. That was so long ago i can't even remember the Levels, all I know is they gave me hell.

Add Comment