User Avatar Image

Which games are you currently playing?

posted by patters on - last edited - Viewed by 24.9K users

basically name a game or more that you are currently playing (or have been recently) and say what you think of it.

Prince of Persia (newest): It is OK, not as good as the last 3, the removal of death as a deterrent is irritating, I wish they had not done it, it seems like a way to appeal to "casuals". I think the combat is dry and repetitive also.

Smash Bros:brawl: Overall an excellent game, however a lot of the mechanics from melee worked better in my opinion

Halo Wars: the best RTS I have played on a console, over simplified compared to PC ones, although that is to be expected. It is a pity Ensemble don't exist anymore

3.6K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Half Life 2 / Hitman Blood Money / Minecraft / Batman Arkham Asylum

• @corruptbiggins said: Dragon Age II.

Great game, have fun :D

• Age of Empires II - HD

Well preorderererererers get early access and an achievement for preorderererering. The campaign works, the graphics no longer change to LSD levels and I had only one crash so far (changing campaigns in the menue fast) but none during gameplay. Finished my favourite campaign (William Wallace) but only got the achievement after my first online game.

Played against a friend and we both completely forgot how to play this. I wanted to build a house with the Hunns. Really now...

Be warned that multiplayer is really laggy right now (was for both of us) but I, personally, had no issues in Single Player & vs AI matches, the main reason I got this game was the Wallace campaign anyway. Hope they fix the multiplayerlags until the official release on the 9th.

If you own the game and want to see a replay of it (why would you do this?)
    click here. This file goes to the save folder of the game. Chat is only available on the "Florida Man" side and is in German most of the time, what a shame.

Also: Only the host can change settings so if you want to record your game like I did there you have to ask the host to check the box which is a complete pain in the ass.

• Mother 3

I can't get the hang of the bloody rhythm system.

• The Ben Jordan Case Files (Indie Adventure Game Series)

I'm sure quite a few of you have already played this series of games (made using 'Adventure Game Studio'). I remember hearing great things about them years ago but I'd never actually got around to playing them... until now.

250px-Ben_Jordan_1_Title_Screen.jpg

The game is spread across eight chapters (or 'case files') with each one starring paranormal investigator and enthusiast, Ben Jordan. As the chapters progress Ben meets and becomes friends with fellow investigators and those relationships then carry across to the remaining chapters.

It's this episodic approach that allows for a wonderful emulation of watching a great TV series such as the X-Files, with events occurring in one case file affecting the progression of the story in the next (albeit in a linear fashion - though there a couple of chapters which allow for multiple paths, there is only ever one "true ending" in terms of continuity).

Another great thing about the game being presented across multiple case files is that you get to deal with a different spook or monster with each chapter. For example, one case file sees you uncovering the truth behind a cult of witches in Scotland, whilst another finds Ben investigating a haunted house in London.

bj2-d.jpg

There seems little doubt that Sierra's 'Gabriel Knight' was a big influence for the game's designer Francisco Gonzalez when he created the world and gameplay of 'Ben Jordan'. From the dark, gothic horror elements; through to the light touches of humour; the love letter to Jane Jensen's creation is clear for all to see.

17-017.jpg'Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers'

The puzzles throughout are fantastic. They're just the right side of challenging. They're not insultingly easy and they're not frustratingly difficult. I was never stuck on a puzzle for longer than 10 minutes and I never once had to refer to GameFAQs. This is how adventure game puzzles should be done.

Graphically, the games are rather simple to say the least. Whilst the visuals do improve as the case files themselves progress (due to the separation of time between developing each chapter), they never truly elevate themselves beyond being merely functional or at best "somewhat pretty". At other times the art is just downright crude. However, strangely there's an undeniable charm to the primitive graphics that's rather appealing.

benjordancase2-walkthrough.png

Musically, this game shines. Some tracks are taken from other sources (for example, films) but the majority are original compositions. I can't speak highly enough of the soundtrack contained within these games. The tracks are easily worthy enough to have appeared in the mainstream titles of yesteryear. The music in the 'Ben Jordan' series doesn't fuck your ears; it gently caresses and makes sweet love to them.

The final thing to mention about the 'Ben Jordan' series is the atmosphere! Each case file is dripping in atmosphere. A dark, ominous and thoroughly engrossing atmosphere.

If you've yet to play the 'Ben Jordan' series, then I heartily recommend that you do. I can honestly say that it's been years since I've enjoyed an adventure game series as much as I have with 'Ben Jordan'.

With a higher budget and therefore more polished production values and a wider release, these titles would have been rightfully hailed as classics alongside the 'Gabriel Knight' series itself. The biggest crime of all is that they are not held in this regard by most adventure fans. If you've yet to do so, I suggest you do your part to remedy that situation by playing 'Ben Jordan' today!

If you have played the games already, then be sure to check out the 'Ben Jordan' fan film (still a work-in-progress) here.

• Ben Jordan are the B-movies of the adventure game genre, but they each get better as you go. I hate 2, though. And the background art is fugly ass shit in all of them.

But they're fun and worth playing.

• @Jennifer said: I just played through the SCI remake of King's Quest 1. I've never actually played through this one before (I've started playing quite a few times, but the only one I've ever completed [until now] was the AGI version). Although a lot of the annoyances from the AGI are still here (like the annoying vine climbing part where you have to move inch by inch like so many stairs and cliffs in Sierra's early games), I think I actually like this one better than the original.

Have you played AGDI's VGA remake?

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: Have you played AGDI's VGA remake?

That's another one I started and never got through finishing.

I see that it had a complete graphic overhaul a few years ago. I haven't played that version yet. I'll have to give it a try.

• Just started playing Skyrim. I am in the process of making a destruction mage, it's not easy but it's fun at least. :)

Add Comment