User Avatar Image

The XBOX 720 and stuff

posted by jackpinto on - last edited - Viewed by 780 users

I just came across this article talking about how the upcoming "Xbox 720" will have always-on DRM protection and may block used games via one-time-use activations codes. How would you all feel about this?

Personally, with the patent filing of how the Kinect can block the use of "unlicensed people" watching a rented or purchased movie, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a Playstation 4 now. Microsoft is going in the wrong direction (on various products), and the Xbox was the only one I was happy with. Welp, I have rid my life of Windows, and soon the Xbox.

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DAISHI said: This will be the norm in the next ten years for all major game system developers.

This will be the day that I stop playing new games. I'm not too upset though; I'm more of a retro-head anyway!

• For the record, here's what happened with the controversial statement.

Microsoft Studios' Creative Director Adam Orth was queried about the rumours that the next XBox will force people to always be connected to the internet. He responded with the following tweet:

xlarge-620x.jpg

As you can imagine, this was not well received, and he followed it up with some very weak arguments. Weak like... well, like this:
    [Quote]Sometimes the electricity goes out. I will not purchase a vacuum cleaner. The mobile reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone.[/Quote]
    Yeah. Again, not well received at all. One person to call him out on this was Manveer Heir, who works at Bioware (which is owned by EA - oh, the irony!) and pointed out the problems faced by Diablo III and SimCity (IRONY!) as well as how several places across the US, like Janesville, WI or Backsburg, VA, would have trouble maintaining a stable connection.

Orth responded with this.
    [Quote]Why on Earth would I live there?[/Quote]
    ...yeah. That... that didn't endear him to ANYONE.

Rather predictably, Microsoft issued a statement apologizing for his comments, stating that he wasn't an official spokesperson and that he was simply sharing his personal view. Most notably though, Microsoft didn't actually deny the always-on aspect, something people were quick to pick up on.

In short - people do not want things that require you to always be online, whether that be a game, DRM or (in this case) an entire console. It's effectively the biggest and, arguably, best excuse you can give someone to pirate things, and if Microsoft go ahead with this it WILL backfire on them spectacularly.

The only way they can get out of this situation is to drop the entire thing, but I somehow doubt they'll actually do that. This IS Microsoft we're talking about here.

• @Darth Marsden said: xlarge-620x.jpg

What a blowhard asshole. My PS3 isn't always online (actually it's not online at all, whatsoever) and my vacuum cleaner certainly isn't! How can you compare electricity to an Internet connection?! What a freakin' bucket of putrid slop this clown is!

Seriously, that little weasel can take his 720 and shove it up his bloated ass. Fucking numpty piece of shit.

I don't have an Internet connection at my flat. I guess that means that I don't fucking exist, right?! This man is a lump of rectal discharge!

That settles that, Sony is getting my money and Microsoft can die a slow and horrible death.

Fuck you, Microsoft.

• Quite frankly if you don't want the product don't buy it. I couldn't be happier with Always-Online if it's to serve some actual purpose.

• @Ribs said: Quite frankly if you don't want the product don't buy it. I couldn't be happier with Always-Online if it's to serve some actual purpose.

But what purpose would be worth it? Surely this feature can just be shut off if your internet is down and then resume it when you get back.

• My pacemaker isnt always on.......

• @Gman5852 said: But what purpose would be worth it? Surely this feature can just be shut off if your internet is down and then resume it when you get back.

I don't know, perhaps it heals all wounds by being connected to the internet?

• @Ribs said: I couldn't be happier with Always-Online if it's to serve some actual purpose.

The only purpose of Always-Online is to protect Microsoft's interests. Don't kid yourself into thinking that such a proposition is made to benefit the customer. It's not.

• Unless it cures cancer and AIDS.

• @GaryCXJk said: Unless it cures cancer and AIDS.

True. Whereas if it just cured cancer 'or' AIDS, it would be worthless.

Add Comment