User Avatar Image

The XBOX 720 and stuff

posted by jackpinto on - last edited - Viewed by 777 users

I just came across this article talking about how the upcoming "Xbox 720" will have always-on DRM protection and may block used games via one-time-use activations codes. How would you all feel about this?

Personally, with the patent filing of how the Kinect can block the use of "unlicensed people" watching a rented or purchased movie, I think I'm going to go ahead and get a Playstation 4 now. Microsoft is going in the wrong direction (on various products), and the Xbox was the only one I was happy with. Welp, I have rid my life of Windows, and soon the Xbox.

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ribs said: No, the more money going to the people who publish things the better. That's how money is supposed to flow.

Not only is copyright not evil, but there's also absolutely nothing wrong with censorship.

No, it isn't. I've seen various companies estimate over 60% of their users to be pirates, an estimated 60% of those estimated to also never intend to spend any money on any products whatsoever. These people aren't entitled to games, they should be stopped from playing them, and they should be heavily fined or penalized. Piracy is bad no matter what, however.

Estimate? Are you a troll hired by some game company. Piracy isn't as black and white as you make it. MLP FIM is probably the best example of a franchise that become a cash cow because of Piracy. Also Angry Birds.

You mean like SOPA that was evil. Back it up then. Read this http://www.free-culture.cc/freecontent/
    It is extremly evil.

• @TheBigGuns said: Looks like The game I am making called Awesome Pony Fighting Game couldn't have come at a better time. No DRM, all assets under Creative Commons CC-BY 3.0,code under GPLV3. The gaming industry business model is about to change. Here is the Demo https://github.com/jubilee145/APFG

All my worries about the future of Xbox are now moot, thanks to the existence of a demo of an indie game about ponies.

That's a relief!

• @Scnew said: All my worries about the future of Xbox are now moot, thanks to the existence of a demo of an indie game about ponies.

That's a relief!

OUYA success is probably more important. But everything starts from a demo right? The success of this game is pretty important for the future of the gaming industry. It is going to try things that other game companies fear to do.

• @Ribs said: ...there's also absolutely nothing wrong with censorship.
    Censorship is a necessity in extreme circumstances (such as replacing absurd comments in forums) but generally is the refuge of oppressors and molly cuddlers, who think that they know what's best for the rest of us.

Couldn't agree more, Ribs.

• @St_Eddie said: Couldn't agree more, Ribs.

Hey you changed his quote and made him sound sane thats not fair.

• @TheBigGuns said: Hey you changed his quote and made him sound sane thats not fair.

He himself said that "there's nothing wrong with censorship". So by his logic, what I did was completely fair.

What I did there; do you see?

• @St_Eddie said: He himself said that "there's nothing wrong with censorship". So by his logic, what I did was completely fair.

What I did there; do you see it?

You made him look like a living,thinking human rather than someone from the RIAA

• Ribs, change your username to Big Brother or 1984 or Orwell.

• Lets do a kickstarter for super tux a free culture game under Code license GPLV3 with Content/assets license Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA https://code.google.com/p/supertux/downloads/list
    To improve the lastest version which is SuperTux 0.3.3 Source Release http://code.google.com/p/supertux/downloads/detail?name=supertux-0.3.3.tar.bz2&can=2&q=
    Because we are legally allowed to do so and to annoy Ribs. We have to license the assets we make under under Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA though.

• @Ribs said: Good. Used games are a horrible thing and are legitimately taking money out of publishers' hands. Would be happy to see the back of them.

Sure. And second hand sales of DVDs and Blurays steals money from film production companies. And used car sales steals money from car manufacturers. And used book sales steals money from book publishers and authors.

There is a market for second-hand merchandise for lots of things.

I'm sorry, but your argument is completely invalid.

@Ribs said: Also would be happy to see if this cuts down on piracy as well somehow, which'd be great.

Because EA's idiocy cuts down on piracy of their games?

Wait, no it doesn't.

Gabe Newell, co-founder of Valve, has said that piracy is a service problem, in that piracy can be stemmed by offering a better service than the pirates do. Forcing legitimate customers to always be online or else be unable to start games nor save progress while ingame is NOT superior service.

Add Comment