User Avatar Image

Telltale should buy LucasArts's original IPs

posted by JFP on - last edited - Viewed by 990 users

I know this is a long shot, and this may overlap with the Disney Buys Lucasfilm one, but regardless, I feel this is necessary.

I strongly feel that Telltale Games should try to acquire at least some of LucasArts's non-Star Wars or Indiana Jones games and IPs (including the first Sam & Max game and whatever remains of the S&M LucasArts was working on, but scrapped).

Consider that in the past Disney sold off Dic Entertainment and the Power Rangers, and my proposition seems more realistic.

52 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • We need a miracle for that to happen. I got a feeling that Disney wont bother using the adventure game series since they aren't Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

• @Icedhope said: ...Tim gets full throttle, and Grim. Ron gets Monkey Island Back, and Maniac Mansion, Dave gets DOTT and Steve Gets back Hit The Road.

Truly, a vision of adventure gaming heaven.

• @Icedhope said: To be honest..I don't think Disney is going to sell them. But if it does happen..well the creators should get the IPs. Tim gets full throttle, and Grim. Ron gets Monkey Island Back, and Maniac Mansion, Dave gets DOTT and Steve Gets back Hit The Road. Just what I think.

If Ron was to obtain the rights to Maniac Mansion, doesn't that technically mean that he gets the rights to DOTT aswell, since it's the sequel?

• @OzzieMonkey said: If Ron was to obtain the rights to Maniac Mansion, doesn't that technically mean that he gets the rights to DOTT aswell, since it's the sequel?

Give that man a cigar, I believe he's right!*

* Assuming that OzzieMonkey is male. Apologies if not.

• @St_Eddie said: Give that man a cigar, I believe he's right!*

* Assuming that OzzieMonkey is male. Apologies if not.

Haha, yes, I am indeed of the male variety :p

• Until the thought of the creators obtaining the rights back to the adventure games that they created can become a reality, here's a little tribute I made regarding on the then company that has given us a bunch of great adventure games(with some background on my introduction with Lucasart's adventures)
    http://clxcool.deviantart.com/art/Rest-in-peace-Lucasarts-363962886

• Personally it would be awesome to play another Indy Graphic Adventure game (like Last Crusade or Fate of Atlantis), but I know Disney giving away the rights would be a long shot and all the Indy games now are stuck in "Tomb Raider style" mode.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@OzzieMonkey said: If Ron was to obtain the rights to Maniac Mansion, doesn't that technically mean that he gets the rights to DOTT aswell, since it's the sequel?

Not necessarily. After all, Steve Purcell owns the rights to Sam & Max, but Disney owns Hit the Road, and Telltale owns Sam & Max seasons one through three. If Ron (or Gary Winnick) got the rights to Maniac Mansion and Dave or Tim got the rights to Day of the Tentacle, then they'd be in a similar situation that LucasArts was in with Sam & Max Hit the Road after they lost the Sam & Max license. Apparently they were still able to sell the game (since Sam & Max Hit the Road was still for sale in Europe after LucasArts lost the Sam & Max license), but they couldn't change the game's assets (since Sam & Max had to be replaced in the Monkey Island special editions).

• @Icedhope said: To be honest..I don't think Disney is going to sell them. But if it does happen..well the creators should get the IPs. Tim gets full throttle, and Grim. Ron gets Monkey Island Back, and Maniac Mansion, Dave gets DOTT and Steve Gets back Hit The Road. Just what I think.

If Telltale or Double Fine or whoever wants to pony up the cash, I think that could happen. I don't think the question is would Disney sell, so much as does anyone who would want the licenses also want to spend that much money getting them. If I were Double Fine, I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much on the Monkey Island rights when I could instead be using that money to just create a new game instead.

• lol the 'creators' is a vague thing. Over the lifetime of a franchise a property is recreated time and again by a vast number of individuals. Which is why IP is a transferable singular thing, because there's no one creator. Ron certainly didn't create Curse, or Escape or Tales.

Add Comment