User Avatar Image

Let's Play 'Flight of the Amazon Queen'

posted by St_Eddie on - last edited - Viewed by 4.2K users

Let's Play 'Flight of the Amazon Queen'

91355695.jpg

I first purchased this game as a 13 year old kid, back in 1995. Although I have completed it a couple of times, it's been many years since I last did so. Therefore, replaying this game is sure to feel rather fresh.

The only other thing I want to say before we begin is that I genuinely enjoy playing this game and have very fond memories of it. I only say this because the tone of this let's play will be fairly humorous and at times, playfully mocking but I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was slagging off the game.

Without further adieu, let's get started...

70549552h.jpg
The game certainly doesn't try to break convention as we start on a cut-scene; where we find our smart mouthed hero, Joe King (it's best to get used to the cringe inducing puns in this game), pilot for hire, tied up in a warehouse with his date.

new1uz.jpg
The reason they are tied up is because the lady is the girlfriend of a walking cliché of a mob boss. He found out about his girl's infidelity and was none too pleased to say the least. Also, it's interesting to see that Prince has an uncredited cameo as the gangster on the right!

princek.jpg
"You Dirty Rat!"

new2jt.jpg
The gangster has avoided common sense by failing to shoot them (well actually common sense would be filing for divorce but gangsters are prone to becoming a bit grumpy) and has instead rigged up a bomb to explode. It looks like curtains for our dating couple and the tension is palpable. Of course this is still the opening cinematic, so we know that Joe will be okay.

28735796.jpg
Our saving grace comes in the form a very ungraceful entrance. Standing in a bathtub (for some inexplicable reason) is our good pal, Sparky; who enters by crashing through the roof.

new4j.jpg
The warehouse explodes moments after we make our escape, with the mob boss still inside. You'd think that he would have vacated the premises considering he set the bomb to go off but I've come to the conclusion that he probably suffers from short term memory loss.

88723328.jpg
Rather than taking a much deserved day off work, Joe is more concerned with collecting his latest paying passenger; the famous movie star, Faye Russel. You certainly couldn't say that he's not dedicated to his job.

79579746.jpg
However, once we arrive at the venue where Faye is staying we find Anderson standing in her dressing room. Everyone has an arch-nemesis; David has Goliath, Holmes has Moriarty, Wile E. Coyote has Road Runner and Joe has Anderson (a rival pilot for hire).

60533407.jpg
Anderson explains that he intends to steal Faye away from us, as his own passenger. He then locks the door (which is made of solid steal... um, why?!), thus trapping us in the room.

52668235.jpg
And so the true adventure begins. Currently Joe is carrying his diary (used to save and load games) and a baseball bat. I'm not sure as to why Joe carries a bat with him. Maybe he's prone to a spot of impromptu baseball!

spinaltap.png
"Nah, I carry this partly out of... I don't know. What's the word?"
"Affectation?"
"Right."

52668235.jpg
I decide that the bat may be put to good use by smashing the window to the right but Joe informs me that it's made of bullet-proof glass! This is getting ridiculous, why in tarnation does Faye Russel need a solid steal door and a bullet-proof glass window?! Is she a high priority target for the assassins of the world? I can only assume that she's received death threats from an obsessed fan (the same kind that I regularly send to Charlize Theron).

17201465.jpg
Seeming as I can't break the window, perhaps I can shout to my pal Sparky for help, who's stood outside reading his favourite comic, 'Commander Rocket'. My attempts to gain his attention are fruitless however because the glass is not only bullet-proof but also sound-proof (but of course).

14223619.jpg
All is not lost however as upon picking up some sheets strewn across the floor, I discover a laundry shoot. Now call me over-zealous when it comes to health and safety if you like, but isn't a GIANT FUCKING HOLE IN THE GROUND just a tad dangerous?! Never-mind, at least it's an escape route.

I knot the two sheets together, tie them to the nearby radiator and descend the chute.

81643605.jpg
Wwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

... hold on! If I'm simply sliding down the chute, then why in blazes did I need to tie together those sheets?! Ho hum, a slide's always fun so I'm not going to complain.

96860436.jpg
Being the sex crazed (and starved) maniac that I am, the first thing that I'm interested in investigating are these novelty boobies (heh heh... boobies)! I pick up a pair (they might come in handy on a cold, lonely winters night) and admire the unbeatable craftsmanship...

blackadderbreasts.png
"Unbeatable? Au contraire."

50145451.jpg
Anywayyyyyy... I take the stairs up to the lobby but unfortunately my escape route is being guarded by a couple more gangsters. I immediately spy a rather handy key on the bell boy's desk and attempt to pick it up. Naturally, the staff is not going to let that happen so I talk to him and exhaust all of the dialogue options but to no avail.

I also try to press the bell on the desk but it cannot be achieved, which is a shame because I love to ring the desk bell multiple times in adventure games when the assistant is already standing there. It usually winds them up to no end! You've missed a trick here, developers.

It's worth pointing out that the bell boy's voice sounds like a cross between these two...

kermitthefrog.gif
Kermit the Frog (anthropomorphised frog thing)

beeknariz.png
Beek Nariz (the elephant man's uglier brother)

... You'd think that the manager of the venue would want to have someone with a slightly less ludicrous voice manning the front desk but clearly the manager is an equal opportunities employer, so I'm not going to berate him for being a nice chap.

new5l.jpg
Feeling as though I'm now out of options, I attempt to sneak past the gangsters but they spot me. The short one sounds just like Marlon Brando and the tall one looks like David Prowse in 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' (as evidenced at 2:15 in this clip). Therefore, I shall henceforth refer to them as Brando & Prowse.

58446426.jpg
Brando & Prowse lock me back in Faye's room and... remove my clothes. They claim that this might discourage me from attempting to escape again but quite frankly, I have my suspicions that they're just a couple of horny perverts!

I then spend the next 10 minutes wondering back and forth between the different areas, absolutely clueless as to what I need to do next. Out of desperation, I try interacting with every object in every logical way possible... still no luck.

16892337.jpg
Then I try talking to the bell boy again, only to find a new dialogue option. It turns out that you have to look at the key before this option will appear! Grr... bloody adventure games!

Anyway, now that I have the key to the dressing room; I head on down there...

63941565.jpg
... to be confronted by Joe's ex-girlfriend, Lola. She's awful mad at Joe for dumping her and the two have a humorous back and forth.

60367613.jpg
Lola hops in to the shower and conveniently has her private areas covered by patches of steam on the glass (how very 'Austin Powers'). Lola agrees to help us escape if we retrieve a towel for her (I guess she's rather easily pleased). Luckily, I have one to hand and Lola soon explains her plan to us.

35139578.png
The plan is to dress me Joe up in ladies clothing, so that I can pass the gangsters upstairs unnoticed. Joe attaches the boobies (heh heh... boobies), puts on a wig found in Faye's room and slips on the dress.

31678334.jpg
A 'Maniac Mansion' style cut-scene is triggered...

67305004.jpg
... in which we are introduced to a quite clearly insane Doctor named Ironstein (I did warn you about the awful puns). However, for the purposes of this let's play, I shall call him Dr. Fruitloop.

Speaking to his lackey, Dr. Fruitloop explains his retarded genius master plan to turn Amazonian women into dinosaur people. I'm sure it's a dream we've all had at some point or another, right alongside world peace and sleeping with Charlize Theron.

In order to show the process of the transformation to the player his lackey, Dr. Fruitloop fires up the machine...

52353240.jpg
reddwarfdna.jpg
"Transmogrification process initiated."
95057326.jpg
I couldn't help but notice that the sound that the machine makes is the same iconic sound effect made by the opening of doors in 'Doom'. Tsk tsk, developers!

Dr. Fruitloop then explains that he will now activate the 'Aggression Enhancer'...
222jz.jpg
... but he's clearly not left the beta stage of development yet!

Sadly for Dr. Fruitloop (but thankfully for the women of the Amazon) he's run out of test subjects. Unfortunately that's not going to stop an ambitious young ancient go-getter like Dr. Fruitloop though...

83049398.jpg
79882995.jpg

Seriously, this guy's so corny that I'm surprised the developers didn't have him cackle in an evil manner...

43317855.jpg
... oh, they did.

20145181.jpg
The cut-scene has finished and we return to Joe Joanne, as we prepare to exit the hotel. We succeed and Sparky drives us away but the goons do a double-take and realise that was no lady!

35623328.jpg
Marlon & Prowse give chase and open fire at Joe. Because this is an adventure game, they're shots are less on target than a blind Stormtrooper's.

stormtroopero.jpg
"Hey! I'd totally blow your head off for that remark... if I wasn't such a rubbish shot!"

18834808.jpg
Luckily there's a canister of oil on the back of the truck, so I chuck it at the car and it's "adios amigos". That just leaves one thing; for Joe to make a Schwarzenegger-esque quip...

51615181.jpg
Pure poetry!

19641022.jpg
We catch up with Anderson (the cad!) just as he's about to fly away with Faye using our plane (the extra-double-bastard cad).

96057586.jpg
Joe uses his subtle negotiation skills to... punch Anderson out cold. Sparky then appears to join us on our flight.

75176048.jpg
54292856.jpg
Nuts! Our plane has been hit by lightning and it looks like we're going down...

54387811.jpg
Hmm, I sense the beginning of a familiar relationship ...

templeofdoom.jpg

Well, that's it for Part 1.

165 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: The problem with games running using ScummVM is that most of them are either pretty good or are fairly well known. Not saying that's a bad thing, just that it's stuff that's been covered before, unlike FotAQ, which is fairly new to most of us, which is part of why we're enjoying it so much (the other main reason being your brilliant commentary).

You raise a good point about the majority of games that run under ScummVM and you also gave some great suggestions there. In fact, I think that I've found my next game to tackle thanks to you; 'Police Quest' (which handily does run under ScummVM). I've completed it before and enjoyed it (in spite of it's insanely anal nature) and wouldn't mind replaying it. I may as well use it as a let's play and take the piss out of it if I'm going to replay it anyway.

As for the other titles you mentioned; I won't cover AGS titles because it wouldn't be fair or right to rip into an indie game that was made for the love of it (and not for profit) but the remaining titles; I'll keep them in mind for after 'Police Quest'. Many thanks.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Well, looking forward to Police Quest. I've heard... things.

Fair point about AGS games though. Just thought I'd throw it out there - some really are quite bad.

• As I don't see any problems with doing this to a good or at least decent game I'd like to see your take on some Revolution titles, like Lure of the Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky.

If you want a not so good game then maybe something like the Feeble Files.

• @corruptbiggins said: As I don't see any problems with doing this to a good or at least decent game I'd like to see your take on some Revolution titles, like Lure of the Temptress and Beneath a Steel Sky.

Just to clarify (because it does worry me a little bit that people might misinterpret my feelings on the matter); I do think that 'Flight of the Amazon Queen' is a good game. It's undeniably flawed but overall it's a title that holds a place in my heart. The angry, piss taking nature of my let's plays is mostly facetious and at worst, exaggerated for humorous effect.

I just wanted to make that clear, I would hate for somebody who worked on the game to read my let's play and get the wrong idea!

Having got that out of the way; 'Beneath a Steel Sky' is a marvelous suggestion for a future let's play. There's plenty of moments throughout that game that are just ripe for milking comedy gold!

• Lots of wrong here. AGS has produced some of the best adventure games of the past decade. There might be some bad ones, but most of them at least try new things. I can probably name two dozen professional quality ones.

I'm probably one of the only peoples there currently just running off of pure nostalgia as a dev.

I was doing an Escape From Delirium LP, but I'm not particularly funny or patient, so I think you should tackle that at some point. It has a meaningless appearance by Saddam Hussein hijacking a plane, gutting and eviscerating a man's intestines on a pike just to make someone pass out with the intention of being funny (beat that Simon), and the worst plot, graphics, and puzzles I have ever seen....ever.

• @Secret Fawful said: Lots of wrong here. AGS has produced some of the best adventure games of the past decade. There might be some bad ones, but most of them at least try new things. I can probably name two dozen professional quality ones.

But... no-one was ever denying that. Darth Marsden was simply saying that there are bad AGS games. He didn't say that there aren't any good ones.

I think that we're all aware that it's not about the tools, it's about the artists who use them.

@Secret Fawful said: I was doing an Escape From Delirium LP, but I'm not particularly funny or patient, so I think you should tackle that at some point. It has a meaningless appearance by Saddam Hussein hijacking a plane, gutting and eviscerating a man's intestines on a pike just to make someone pass out with the intention of being funny (beat that Simon), and the worst plot, graphics, and puzzles I have ever seen....ever.

Thanks for the tip. I've added it to the list. ;)

• I didn't take it that way, so much as just being annoyed at how easy it is for people to pick on AGS projects in general.

• @St_Eddie said: On the subject of the continuation of this let's play; I'm worried about the future of this forum (will this let's play be deleted once the switchover to the new layout occurs? Will this style of let's play even function correctly under the new layout?). It is with this in mind that I can announce my plans to start up my own website, which will be devoted to my own unique brand of let's plays.

There's also been some talk about regulars abandoning these forums, so that sounds like a good idea regardless of how the switchover will turn out. I love this let's play so I'm glad to hear you have plans for the continuation even if it might take a while.

I actually laughed out loud several times while reading the latest part, so it's still pure gold even if it was harder to make something funny out of it this time. Good catch on the dead end fire exit. :) It never struck me as odd while playing through the game. The fumigator, restricted area after shot and the graphical glitches stabs were hilarous.

I second the BaSS suggestion by the way. I thought of it earlier while reading on my phone and saw it had been suggested when I came back now.

• @Secret Fawful said: I didn't take it that way, so much as just being annoyed at how easy it is for people to pick on AGS projects in general.

Aye, that's fair enough and agreed upon in that sense. I've got nothing but respect for anyone who takes the time to do something creative off their own back for free (regardless of the final result).

@Secret Fawful said: There's also been some talk about regulars abandoning these forums, so that sounds like a good idea regardless of how the switchover will turn out. I love this let's play so I'm glad to hear you have plans for the continuation even if it might take a while.

Yeah, I'm going to make my own website regardless of how things turn out on this forum. I think that it'll also help me to attract more readers that way.

@Secret Fawful said: I actually laughed out loud several times while reading the latest part, so it's still pure gold even if it was harder to make something funny out of it this time. Good catch on the dead end fire exit. :) It never struck me as odd while playing through the game. The fumigator, restricted area after shot and the graphical glitches stabs were hilarous.

Thank you very much for the kind feedback. It's appreciated. :)

@Secret Fawful said: I second the BaSS suggestion by the way. I thought of it earlier while reading on my phone and saw it had been suggested when I came back now.

Duly noted. :D

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@corruptbiggins said: If you want a not so good game then maybe something like the Feeble Files.

Feeble Files was a good game. It's just that the interface was pretty terrible.

Add Comment