User Avatar Image

Questions for the Walking Dead team!

posted by Jake on - last edited - Viewed by 23.2K users

Hey guys, I know it's still early days on this project, and we're a ways off from talking about anything concrete, but it seemed like as good a time as any to start an official Q&A thread!

In all honesty there isn't a lot we can talk about yet -- we were going to do press for the game at PAX East last month, but held off when we realized that our answer to almost any conceivable standard press question would be "no comment, yet" -- but I trust you guys to rise above the standard questions, and come up with some Walking Dead stuff we can discuss, so have at it. Ask away!

1.3K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Having completed the game eight times, making different decisions throughout. Can you, for the next game, make the decisions really matter. I understand that most was for Clementines benefit for survival, but they didn't really make any odds on who was going to live or die.
    For example with Duck. He gets bitten no matter how quickly you shoot the walker. What would have been preferable is if you shot the walker quickly he lives, if not then he gets bitten etc.
    Same goes for Carly/Doug, could there have been an option to save him/her if you moved quickly enough to stop Lily.
    The characters then could interact with the player, in a much more realistic way. By all means kill them off later in the game, but do it in such a way that maybe one or two survives, directly because of the players actions or inaction's.
    Other than the points raised, I found this game one of the best I have ever played and long may it continue.
    I hope you consider what I have wrote, as for me personally, it was the only thing I was disappointed with.
    Saying that though, I look forward to the next installment with great anticipation along with everyone else.

• Will the choices i make in WD season2 actually make a diffence?In season 1 choices made little to no diffence to the story.Except Doug or Carly choice.Leaving very little replay value.
    My ONLY problem with game.

• I have a question:

It has recently come to my attention, that Molly was suppose to have a larger role, than she ended up having in the final game.

What made you change your mind about Mollys role, and why?

• My question is:

Would you consider making an "alternate version" of season 1?

My meaning is that we can make more decisions and possibly save certain people but it won't be considered in the games official canon. For example you pour all your "affection" into Lilly and in doing so you can save Carley/Doug from being shot. This would allow you to save a character but would make the game a whole lot harder as Kenny would hate your guts. Some deaths e.g Duck and Katjaa would be unavoidable as that is almost essential to the Kenny issue but with Carley/Doug Lilly could still leave feeling that everyone is against her etc.

• My question is: Can you make Clem remember everything Lee told her in the next game?

• Due to fact that I am tapping on my smartphone, I am gonna be short. Could you add a "coin" feature just like in kongregate so that people can purchase this game and others as well via paysafe? It's much simpler, easier (you just buy a16 digit code card and that's it. ) and much safer (no precious data can be stolen and you are safe from a Cyprus case.)

• @anderswhk said: I have a question:

It has recently come to my attention, that Molly was suppose to have a larger role, than she ended up having in the final game.

What made you change your mind about Mollys role, and why?

I don't remember Molly having a larger role than she does. I mean... maybe in one version of the episode four story she was in it for a few more scenes, but I'm not sure. Episode 4 went through more revisions than any other episode, and characters came and went, and their roles grew and shrank, as it was being developed. Molly is one who seems to have remained pretty consistent to my memory, though.

@anderswhk said: My question is:

Would you consider making an "alternate version" of season 1?

My meaning is that we can make more decisions and possibly save certain people but it won't be considered in the games official canon. For example you pour all your "affection" into Lilly and in doing so you can save Carley/Doug from being shot. This would allow you to save a character but would make the game a whole lot harder as Kenny would hate your guts. Some deaths e.g Duck and Katjaa would be unavoidable as that is almost essential to the Kenny issue but with Carley/Doug Lilly could still leave feeling that everyone is against her etc.

This isn't likely, sorry! We're pretty comfortable with how the choices worked in Season One. That doesn't mean other Telltale games will be identical to The Walking Dead Season One, just that we're not going to go back and change it all around. We like where it ended up. Speaking of...

@anderswhk said: Will the choices i make in WD season2 actually make a diffence?In season 1 choices made little to no diffence to the story.Except Doug or Carly choice.Leaving very little replay value.
    My ONLY problem with game.

It feels (to me at least) like Lee had power over the things he would realistically have power over, and is frustrated by the things he can't change. We don't want players to feel cheated, but we also don't want them to feel like they are the all-powerful gods of the universe who can change the story and other characters to do whatever they want. In real life would "pouring affection" into someone guarantee that they do what you want? I don't think so! Only in video games is that allowed, and it starts to fall apart if you want to have NPCs who act more like real people, with their own wills and whims separate from yours.

It's a balancing act for us, for sure -- how much does your will as the player actually change the course of other characters and the plot -- and I won't say that where Season One landed is perfect. We have a long way to go and a lot more to work with to get that balance and feeling right. There's always room to improve and to try new things. The Wolf Among Us pushes this in new directions which I think you'll find exciting, and of course with future Walking Dead games we will be playing with and tweaking how the player's balance of power works. We won't be going back and re-doing Season One, though!

@anderswhk said: My question is: Can you make Clem remember everything Lee told her in the next game?

Last time I heard official word from anyone it was an interview which said "hold on to your season one save games!" But we don't have anything to say about future Walking Dead games beyond that, including which characters (if any) will show up in them!

@anderswhk said: Due to fact that I am tapping on my smartphone, I am gonna be short. Could you add a "coin" feature just like in kongregate so that people can purchase this game and others as well via paysafe? It's much simpler, easier (you just buy a16 digit code card and that's it. ) and much safer (no precious data can be stolen and you are safe from a Cyprus case.)

This is well out of my pay grade, sorry! Our web guys read this board, so maybe they will see this and find it interesting, but it is beyond my brain.

• I have a question for Jake;-
    Are there any season 2 tidbits you can give us? Confirmed things or even just 'likely' things?
    For example, are we allowed to know if we will see Clem again? Or will it be a whole new story?
    Pretty much any info at all you're happy to share so us in the forums feel special :)

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@murdoc77 said: I have a question for Jake;-
    Are there any season 2 tidbits you can give us? Confirmed things or even just 'likely' things?
    For example, are we allowed to know if we will see Clem again? Or will it be a whole new story?
    Pretty much any info at all you're happy to share so us in the forums feel special :)

I'm just going to quote Jake from above:

@murdoc77 said: Last time I heard official word from anyone it was an interview which said "hold on to your season one save games!" But we don't have anything to say about future Walking Dead games beyond that, including which characters (if any) will show up in them!

We don't have any info to share on Season 2 just yet, but you can be sure we'll start talking when the time comes! ;)

Add Comment