User Avatar Image

Other titles to suffer at the hands of lucasarts

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 943 users

Hi, first post, sorry if this topic has come up before. I was just thinking about Lucasarts and them cancelling the old dog and rabbit duo, but I was also annoyed that they cancelled the Full Throttle sequal around the same time as well. I was really looking forward to that and it seemed to get a bit over shadowed by S&M. I suppose that also means no more Monkey Island games either. Damn Lucasarts for forgetting their roots, shame on them. Thumbs up for TellTale keeping the genre alive.

Adventure Never Dies

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I think they used the Quake 3 engine for Jedi Outcast/Academy also. They're no stranger to other game's engines, thats for sure.

• It appears someone gave them the idea that the only games which would sell involved star wars. I like a few star wars games (I have Dark Forces I, II, and Jedi Outcast. Jedi Academy sucks and Raven should not be allowed to make any more half-arsed titles) but am mightily cheesed off that they killed their adventures.

I believe the reason the cancelled Full Throttle II was because it was too beat-'em-uppy. I can understand that but I would have thought they could have at least tried again to make a better game rather than scrapping it all together. I still have no idea why they cancelled Sam and Max II. Although I have a theory...

Has anyone looked at a picture of George Lucas lately? you'll notice he has this rather large neck flab. My theory is that the flab blocks off all the brains so he's forced to make terrible movies and decisions instead of the magic he and his company were once capable of. Get the man a liposuctionist!

Also, GTA Mos Eisley style sounds like a truly terrible idea. Please never mention it again or they might find out about it and actually try to sell it. There are enough GTA clones as there is.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]It appears someone gave them the idea that the only games which would sell involved star wars. [/quote]

This is because anything with 'Star Wars' on it, will sell like hotcakes.
    And in the end, it's all about the money. Somehow Lucas have managed to convince people ha has a product, they desperatly need.

But, as people are saying, and as I believe, this thing will die. People can only stomach so many FPS, and so many RTS games before they've had enough.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I always wondered why lucasarts never did a star wars adventure game. I mean I'm glad they came up with original IP's... but a SW adventure game could have been pretty cool...

• I believe there was an idea for a Star Wars adventure game where you were C3PO and you... did stuff.
    But then I suppose someone looked at it for a while and thought 'hmm... this looks like a terrible game' (Yes! they actually cancelled a Star Wars game!).

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

The Star Wars adventure game was cancelled in favor of Grim Fandango . Saw it in an interview some years back.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

All for the best than. :)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

well I'm surprised it was canned in favor of Grim Fandango, although that's great they had the guts back then to do something like that! Those days are long gone unfortunately...

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

What about adventure games suffering under the hands of other developers. Such as the Kings Quest series, The Larry Laffer series, (not technically adventure games, but still...) the LBA series.
    The list could be endless...

• yes to most the market for adventure games is quite dead. Make a shooter and you can make money since the average idiot loves them.

Add Comment