User Avatar Image

Poker Night 2 AI versus PN1 AI?

posted by Statuesque on - last edited - Viewed by 277 users

Hi,

I enjoyed the first Poker Night but felt it was mostly let down by quite a weak poker AI (I know that vs a competent human, current poker AI is likely to struggle, but there are certainly stronger poker AIs out there, I've played a few). Does anyone know if any changes to the AI have been made for Poker Night 2, or is it the same?

Thanks

7 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think the only thing we can confirm in regards to "improved AI" is "they also know how to play Omaha now."

  • @spd12 said: I think the only thing we can confirm in regards to "improved AI" is "they also know how to play Omaha now."



    Unless they're willing to go all-in with a 16 card nut wrap + a backdoor nutflush draw and a non-nut flush draw on the flop - trust me, they don't know how to play Omaha.

  • User Avatar Image
    HoboStew Telltale Staff

    @Statuesque said: Hi,

    I enjoyed the first Poker Night but felt it was mostly let down by quite a weak poker AI (I know that vs a competent human, current poker AI is likely to struggle, but there are certainly stronger poker AIs out there, I've played a few). Does anyone know if any changes to the AI have been made for Poker Night 2, or is it the same?

    Thanks


    That depends, were you playing on normal or hard? There is only one setting in this game, and it is comparable to the hard mode from the first game. I didn't get to do as much AI tweaking as I would like, but it plays reasonably well. Also, keep in mind that the AI for the game is designed to serve the characters, not necessarily play absolute perfect poker. You aren't up against Negreanu and Ivey here, these are just dudes playing poker to the best of their (theoretical) ability.

  • Props for mentioning Negreanu! I've got such a man-crush on Kid Poker. :)

  • User Avatar Image
    HoboStew Telltale Staff

    @BrianBoyko said: Props for mentioning Negreanu! I've got such a man-crush on Kid Poker. :)



    This is one of my favorite moves of his.

  • I was pretty impressed last game how the poker play meshed with the character personalities, so I am really looking forward to seeing how they all play here.

  • @HoboStew said: This is one of my favorite moves of his.



    I knew it was going to be that clip before I clicked it!

    Daniel's fun, friendly... so at ease socially under the highest pressures...

    I have Asperger's syndrome, so social interaction isn't my strongest suit. It's why I'm so thrilled about PN2 and why PN1 is one of my favorite games; sure, I don't play it anymore because I've heard all the one-liners and there's no challenge, but PN1 got me into poker.

    Then I started watching High Stakes Poker and Poker After Dark. These guys were playing for big money, but they were having fun too! Phil Laak and Antonio Esfandiari, Mike Matusow and Phil Hellmuth - and the one guy who was looking like he was having the most fun was Daniel Negreanu. I remember even crying a little after seeing Negreanu tease Phil Hellmuth a bit, thinking: "oh, so this is how people with friends interact. I want that."

    So, I thought - why don't I find some friends to play poker with?

    Poker is one of the few ways I've been able to get out of my isolated shell and actually hang out with people and socialize. If I don't feel like socializing, I can just put on the poker face and concentrate on the cards and nobody thinks lesser of me for it.

    Some of my best friends I met at the poker table. And Poker's turned into one of my Aspie Special Interests - you've introduced me to a great game of strategic depth and complexity.

Add Comment