User Avatar Image

Which games are you currently playing?

posted by patters on - last edited - Viewed by 27.4K users

basically name a game or more that you are currently playing (or have been recently) and say what you think of it.

Prince of Persia (newest): It is OK, not as good as the last 3, the removal of death as a deterrent is irritating, I wish they had not done it, it seems like a way to appeal to "casuals". I think the combat is dry and repetitive also.

Smash Bros:brawl: Overall an excellent game, however a lot of the mechanics from melee worked better in my opinion

Halo Wars: the best RTS I have played on a console, over simplified compared to PC ones, although that is to be expected. It is a pity Ensemble don't exist anymore

3.6K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • BioShock Infinite

Just beat this one, and I must say, it was amazing. if any of you guys haven't had a chance to check it out yet do yourself a favor and get it. you wont be dissapointed!

Next on my list is:

Tomb Raider

I've been wanting to get my hands on this game since release and I've finally got some free time to play it.

Injustice

Huge comic book nerd here so im thrilled to get a new DC fighting game. one of my favorite sega games was a Justice League fighting game, so nostalgia inbound. Plus, I feel NetherRealm Studios does a great job with their story modes. Additionally, I love kicking my friends butts in fighters [:

• I'm currently playing Pid and AoEII: HD on PC.

Pid is full of charm and interesting platforming elements. I haven't gotten really far yet, and there's probably tons of hidden stuff I haven't found yet. It's a game that's easy to pick up for short gaming sessions. I love the art style.

Replaying AoEII now it's not difficult to understand how I spent so many, many hours on this before. The campaigns are just a lot of fun and it controls so damn well compared to most other RTS games I've played over the years. I'm really bad at balancing my resources now though, so I'm spending a lot of time even on the starting missions.

On the 3DS I'm playing Pullblox and Fallblox. They are some pretty unique puzzle games with very limited platforming elements. I originally got them because I'm too cheap to pay for full price retail games, but these games are really good value for the cost. I played them a lot during my easter vacation.

• The trick with the AoE II campaign? Offensive turtling. It's really the only way. I beat every single mission with that strategy. Well, except for the ones where you don't get any villagers and La Noche Triste, which always almost kicks my ass.

• @Alcoremortis said: The trick with the AoE II campaign? Offensive turtling.

As in building walls from your camp and up to the enemy? Or the box formation monk strategy?

• You block in all the enemy's gates with walls and build castles right outside. Keep some paladins or other cavalry nearby to scare off any siege weapons. Mangudai are my favorite for this because they've got it all: range, speed, and power.

When you've starved them enough, send in the cavalry with maybe a few trebuchets as backup to take care of any nasty castles or bombard towers.

• @Alcoremortis said: You block in all the enemy's gates with walls and build castles right outside. Keep some paladins or other cavalry nearby to scare off any siege weapons.

Do you punch a hole through their walls and make your own gate to get your cavalry through to their siege weapons then? I'm guessing this strategy means you focus on gathering large amounts of resources and only create relatively few soldiers initially and then ramp up production when you've safely established base outside your enemy's camp?

• I don't punch the hole in the wall until I've starved them out. Part of the reason I prefer the Mangudai is that you can garrison them in the castle and they'll greatly increase its firepower to deal with most siege equipment and then can also heal while they're in there. This works for nearly all siege except trebuchets, but there, the best defense is usually another trebuchet. Which, can also be used to take out their siege workshops and, if applicable, castles and/or wonders.

And yeah. The beginning of the game is basically getting as much resources as possible and only making enough troops for defense while getting up some walls, towers, and castles as well as a few monks for healing so that I don't have to train new soldiers. I usually like to have as much cavalry as possible because I'm a fan of a mobile army so I don't really make many footsoldiers unless they're archers. That and most of my cavalry will inevitably end up being archers because of their versatility with cheap light cavalry for defense and maybe some knights/cavaliers/paladins for backup. Double walls for the home base are a must if I can afford the stone and usually I try to find lots of natural barriers to help keep the number of walls I have to build to a minimum.

If worst comes to worst and there's very little stone, I spend what gold I have or sell food (because I always end up with way more food than anything else) to buy stone and build walls and then just train a bunch of monks to convert anyone who gets near my walls. That's how I beat the final Saladin scenario. I just converted the infidels' elephants and sent them back with a strongly worded letter until I had enough money to extend my wall to the stone deposits.

• Been feeling tired all day, quickly getting bored with the few games I'm currently replaying (Dragon Age: Origins, The Walking Dead, The Longest Journey) then I remembered that I picked up Planescape: Torment a few days ago so I stuck that on and saw the next 5 hours or so go in a flash.

• I FINALLY finished TWD. Nov-April. I liked the ending.
    Now for a different game.

• Burnout 3: Takedown on Xbox 360.

I'm loving the game, everything about it is flawless, the graphics even look awesome too.

Definitely the best Burnout of the series for me.

Add Comment