User Avatar Image

What genre of game do you find yourself playing most?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 197 users

I have a lot of point and click adventures and RPGs in my Steam and GOG libraries. But I find that lately I've been gravitating more to playing third-person action adventure games (Arkham Asylum series, Infamous 2, 3D Legend of Zelda games, etc.) instead.

What genre of game do you find yourself playing or most thinking about playing?

This topic can also extend to specific franchises, if you find yourself going back to a particular franchise rather than the genre it's in.

15 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Platformers are my favorite, so many games series i love are platformers like Sonic,Mario,Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank and more. But its tied with action adventure games like Uncharted,inFamous,Batman Arkham games and more as my favorite.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

When not playing stuff to review, I tend to play Shooters, whether third or first person.

• The classics will always be classics. I grew up loving P&C and Platforming, but a lot of modern games within these genres are just too mediocre lately. I also find myself enjoying more 3P action games these days.

I even enjoyed Resident Evil 6 even though it was, by no means, good. No depth, no interest, no emotion(except maybe for Chris), no investment. Yet, I still had fun and even half-liked the 4 intersecting stories.

• This is a loaded question for anyone who plays RPGs. What else could take up more time? Anyway, that's my answer.

• Casual Puzzle games.
    It's kinda sad when you think about it but they are perfect for playing while listening to a podcast.

• I've always loved adventure games and it's the one genre I've consistently spent a lot of time on over the years. I used to spend a lot of time on strategy games too, but some years ago they suddenly didn't excite me as much anymore. It was probably around the time Age of Empires III came out. Red Alert 3 is probably the only RTS I've played since then, and I abandoned it because it just didn't appeal much to me. And I always liked the silliness of those games (except Tiberian Sun, which I really didn't like). I've also sunken a lot of time in simulator type strategy games like Sim City and Civilization, but I've pretty much abandoned those as well. To this day, The Patrician on Amiga is probably the one game I've spent the most time on.

These days it's still adventures, but I'm also very fond of casual RPGs with focus on adventure and humor like Deathspank and On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness. Platformers probably take up most of my time though. Preferably adventure or puzzle oriented like Psychonauts, Closure, Vessel or Limbo, but straight-up platformers are good too. I used to play those a lot when I was younger, but it's only the last couple of years I rediscovered my love for them after I got a Wii and started playing Mario and the other multiplayer plaformers with my wife.

So yeah, adventures and platformers. Oh, and the occasional puzzle game. I love the Layton and Drawn games.

• Racing, Adventure and Shooting (well, just MW2 Multiplayer only).

• User Avatar Image
    Blind Sniper Moderator

Outside of Telltale's games, I play a lot of TF2 but besides that I also like platformers.

• I used to only play RTS. Then I started with adventure games... few FPS... now, nearly everything I play is a massive RPG that I don't have time to finish.

• I play exclusively text adventures

Add Comment