User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 9.2K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

An update on the situation:
    [Quote]Backers who want a DRM-free experience with Shadowrun Returns (on Windows, OSX, and Linux) are getting the game, editor and all, and will be able to transfer community-created story files and update executables manually. (It works just like a non-Steam version of Skyrim: you can install mods manually or via a 3rd-party tool such as Nexus.) The DRM-free version will not require any internet connection or any form of online authorization to play.[/Quote]
    They do, however, go on to say that the Berlin add-on and future paid DLC will still be Steam only.
    [Quote]The reason is that our license to develop Shadowrun Returns actually requires that the game and its DLC be distributed under DRM. [...] Ultimately, we were able to successfully negotiate an exception with Microsoft for us to provide our Backers with a DRM-free version of the Kickstarter rewards (specifically the game and the Berlin Campaign) but that exception does not extend to non-reward DLC. So unfortunately, we cannot sell or give away DRM-free versions of the game or DLC on stores like GoG, and that’s why any future Shadowrun Returns DLC will only be available for purchase on Steam.[/Quote]And they even made a little graph showing which version gets what features:

srrVersionsCompared.png

• Even though the intentions of certain people might be good to be using Kickstarter I can't help but think others may be using it to scam people or unnecessarily.

Like that rich mother who couldn't buy her kid a computer and started a Kickstarter campaign for it.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Shadowrun Returns. Wow, what a disgrace this has become.

With yesterday's info update, backers are at least sure that they'll be able to enjoy community created content with their DRM free version. But they also found out that they'll never ever be able to use official game expansions with this variant.

I personally like games with a beginning, a middle and an end. I'll get that with Shadowrun Returns. I'm not even vastly interested in DLC afterwards.

But this turn of events completely contradicts the philosophy of crowdfunding. You readily put your money on the table to enable new developers or well known game world celebrities at the bad end of the industry food chain to escape from the ball and chain of the moneybags, and if you really really love what they're doing, you're paying far more so that an entire new generation of players can enjoy this kind of game for maybe just 15 bucks - DRM free of course.

I absolutely do not fund an eventually Steam exclusive game.

Microsoft has decided that my money be used to support the Steam monopoly. I believe that my laisser faire attitude towards both Microsoft and Steam has taken a nosedive. They've made this personal.

Harebrained schemes has made a shady deal. One without which there would have been no Shadowrun game, granted, but one that should have been explained to backers BEFORE the Kickstarter even began. They're now pointing at Microsoft because the shit storm is well on the horizon, and they've unloaded guilt where guilt is due, but they're not leaving this major fuckup untarnished. They have crippled crowdfunding, its philosophy and the trust people put in new developers.

I've paypaled about 300$ into game developers during the last 14 months. I think I'll lean back now until 2013 ends and some have delivered. With this kind of crap occurring, I'm not sure if I can still believe in Kickstarter, crowd funding and its inherently social principles.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

I wouldn't go so far as to say they've crippled crowd-funding as a whole, but they've definitely left a bad taste in many people's mouths and they're certainly putting themselves into a very awkward position.

Personally I couldn't care less - I'm quite happy with Steam - but even with the new clarification of what'll be DRM free and what won't, it'll certainly lose them a certain amount of trust with the very people they're trying to please.

It's all well and good blaming Microsoft, but if they were going to restrict things in such a manner, it raises the question of why they went with it anyway. Was anyone really crying out for a 360 version (since I assume that's what it'll be)? And if so, would the people who wanted it have accepted the loss of it if it meant getting a proper release on other consoles?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darth Marsden said:

It's all well and good blaming Microsoft, but if they were going to restrict things in such a manner, it raises the question of why they went with it anyway. Was anyone really crying out for a 360 version (since I assume that's what it'll be)?

Not sure you understood the issue. The problem is, Microsoft owns Shadowrun. Jordan Weisman had to lend the license - which is an IP he invented - from MS to make this game.

When I heard about the new Star Trek series pitch, one of the things I thought is "what do these guys even have to do with the Star Trek series". They're just fans. Maybe in future, the original creators who have already sold their license or were never the owners anyway must be put back in line and in fact be considered mere fans of these franchises as well. Creating an entirely new IP is far riskier, especially on Kickstarter, where names undeniably count. But the moneybags with their firm grasp on those IPs really kill the Kickstarter mood.

I will now say: Thank God Tim Schafer didn't try to get the Monkey Island, Full Throttle or Grim Fandango license. As you all know, things would look vastly different today...

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Vainamoinen said: Not sure you understood the issue. The problem is, Microsoft owns Shadowrun. Jordan Weisman had to lend the license - which is an IP he invented - from MS to make this game.

Oh. Then yeah, I really didn't understand the issue!

But yeah, if that's the case, then not explaining the situation earlier - ideally in the original pitch, but failing that in an update while the Kickstarter was still open - is a MAJOR issue.

On a completely different subject - want a Sonic Vibrator? Yes, THAT kind of Vibrator.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darth Marsden said:
    On a completely different subject - want a Sonic Vibrator? Yes, THAT kind of Vibrator.

Oh, just a sonic vibrator. I thought they wanted to make a Sonic vibrator.

Honestly, THAT would have been the product for the modern geeky woman.

• @Vainamoinen said: Oh, just a sonic vibrator. I thought they wanted to make a Sonic vibrator.

Tails-the-fox-sonic-the-hedgehog-3113961

Honestly, THAT would have been the product for the modern geeky woman.

Well since there are Jesus shaped vibrators on the market I am not quite sure that there aren't any Sonic vibrators. Even though a Tails vibrator would make much more sense.

• I don't Kickstart because other people will do it for me and, I avoid any kerfuffles.

• @DAISHI said: I don't Kickstart because other people will do it for me and, I avoid any kerfuffles.

Probably not a bad way to go about it. However, most people decide to back the project based upon the fact that it's the best price for a new release you're likely to get. And the rewards are also a big enticement; people love their collectibles (me included). And the community involvement is also a big draw-card for those who have the time for that stuff.

Add Comment