User Avatar Image

Was anyone offended by the "Southern cannibal family" in episode 2?

posted by Robert Morgan on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

I'd like to pose this question to players from Texas, or any of the red states for that matter. Were you annoyed by the cannibal family seen in episode 2 with the St. Johns?

Most of us guessed something was going on with the St. Johns even before we got to the dairy, but I was secretly hoping it wouldn't turn out to be cannibalism. THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE was one of the first movies to really perpetuate this stereotype, and although it's considered to be a horror classic (for good reason), the idea of people from the South inevitably turning out to be flesh-eating psychos has apparently persisted in the public subconscious.

Telltale tried to mitigate this somewhat by painting the St. Johns as a genuinely educated family (proven by the high school diplomas and college degrees Lee sees framed in the hallway), suggesting these people weren't inclined to cannibalism before the zombie outbreak, but were driven to desperate measures by desperate circumstances. Nonetheless, the cliche is still there.

(I should add that "having an education" is no guarantee someone isn't a psychopath/sociopath. One reason Jack the Ripper slipped away was very possibly due to the pompous Victorian attitude that an "educated man" would never be capable of committing such atrocities.)

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • My only guess as to why they became cannibals so quickly is that they were likely forced by the bandits into giving them food, they probably were made to kill their animals to feed them, but when it got down to just one cow there wasn't going to be any food afterwards for them. So maybe in just a heat of the moment, Danny killed someone, the family cut this person up and then gave him as meat to the bandits, they might of tried it to see if it tasted like actual meat, liked it and realized that this is another way of getting food.

On it being offensive, well nearly all the characters are from Georgia, so it's really just a small couple who are sterotypical, even then I didn't think Andy was a huge stereotype, at least compared to Danny and MAMA'!

• I thought Andy was cool. Right up until he tried shoving my face into an electric fence, I thought we could've been friends.

• I was not, because I had the feeling how it would be to have Brenda and/or Andy in the group, I mean it would had been interesting. Danny would never had been a option for the group.

• @FoxxyFox said: I was not, because I had the feeling how it would be to have Brenda and/or Andy in the group, I mean it would had been interesting. Danny would never had been a option for the group.

Ha! Is it because of his face? He just looks evil, the poor sap.

• @Mornai said: Ha! Is it because of his face? He just looks evil, the poor sap.

tumblr_mhn9pyFF0s1rmsjcno10_250.jpg

Even with Kenny's mustache he looks evil. :eek:

• I didn't even know it was a stereo type, or that the southern states were associated with that before you mentioned it here. Although, when I was watching my friend play it for the first time, when you're walking down the road with them, We played a game where we would guess what's wrong with these guys, and I guessed "I bet they're Cannibals!".

• Just a thought here, but wasn't it likely that all the dairy products they had stocked quickly spoiled, given the lack of electricity?

That being said, 99% of the Southerners in this game eat humans, so...

• Hmm... I wasn't really offended, but I practically live under a rock, so there could be some things I just didn't understand. Kenny was pretty stereotypical, but being from Florida myself, some of those things are... Quite accurate to say the least. I know quite a lot of people who love in FL who have "Kenny mustaches", my Grandfather being one of them... (Also the racism and swearing like a sailor, because my Gramps is quite racist.)

Anyway, is there really a stereotype that southerners are cannibals? I've never heard of it, so it sounds interesting. I'll have to look that up.

Add Comment