User Avatar Image

Ash's voice actor?

posted by FlotsamX on - last edited - Viewed by 3K users

Who voices Ash in the Poker Night 2 trailer? Lots of people are saying it's not Bruce Campbell, but I can sorta hear him. It's been 22 years since Army of Darkness came out, after all; his voice was liable to change.

74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Tycho wasn't voiced authentically, and he worked out OK. :^)

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Pak-Man said: Tycho wasn't voiced authentically, and he worked out OK. :^)

Tycho was voiced authentically because he never had a voice actor before Poker Night and the Penny Arcade guys gave their OK on Andrew Chaikin as his voice artist.

• And Chalkin is a better Tycho than Tycho. Just because you're yourself doesn't mean you portray that cinematically.

• Let's reserve judgment on the new Ash until we've heard more than three lines from the guy.

• @Secret Fawful said: No Bruce, no sale. I'll play Regeneration instead.

Here, here. Besides, I love the hilarious death montages of Sam the Deadite Midget.

• @Master of Aeons said: Bruce Campbell just did a commercial shilling the new Evil Dead movie. If he's got time for that, he's got time for this.

Yes, if he has time to promote the film he is co-producing out of his own pocket it's completely reasonable to expect him to drop everything to work on a project that's probably on the same monetary level as a convention appearance.

Notice that this game features Army of Darkness Ash -- not Evil Dead Ash. All the money from the AoD licensed stuff goes to MGM, whereas it is a little more widely dispersed when the ED license is invoked.

Which isn't to say that I think Bruce would turn this down purely for mercenary reasons (after all, a rising Ash lifts all boats) but it's easy to see how it wouldn't be top of his "Things to Do" list these days.

• @Dinsdale said: Yes, if he has time to promote the film he is co-producing out of his own pocket it's completely reasonable to expect him to drop everything to work on a project that's probably on the same monetary level as a convention appearance.

Not totally being serious when saying there was a correlation between him having the time and it being worth his while. I'd like him to voice it anyway.

• Newbie chiming in, here. Whereas it didn't deter me from buying the game, I would indeed have preferred they simply not use the character, and pick another, if Bruce wasn't available at the time to voice it. He's an easy-going actor, certainly no prima donna, and has done plenty of voicework for games, so a scheduling conflict is the only thing I can think of that makes any sense. Wish they'd simply held-off until he could do the lines.

• I was just playing Devil's Playhouse, and I think Sal and Ash might have the same voice actor, based on the trailer.

My guess is Vegas Trip.

• @CthulhuSaves said: Newbie chiming in, here. Whereas it didn't deter me from buying the game, I would indeed have preferred they simply not use the character, and pick another, if Bruce wasn't available at the time to voice it. He's an easy-going actor, certainly no prima donna, and has done plenty of voicework for games, so a scheduling conflict is the only thing I can think of that makes any sense. Wish they'd simply held-off until he could do the lines.

If it is indeed a scheduling conflict, Telltale might simply redubbed lines with him later on. They redubbed La Chuck's voice with the original actor once Lucasarts persuade him to get out of retirement and if I am not mistaken, they also redubbed a voice in Bone episode 1 with the voice actress from episode 2.

Then again, La Chuck was due to Lucasart doing the Monkey Island 2 HD re-mastered at the same time as TMI and the voice actress for Bone episode 2 was there to redubbed ep 1 while she was dubbing ep 2 if I am not mistaken.

That is if money is the issue for such an "afterthought." If it is, maybe Telltale can start a kickstarter to have Bruce Campbell voice his character for a later patch.

Add Comment