User Avatar Image

Telltale Games ending Tales of Monkey Island with a cliffhanger was a terrible move

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

Now we have TWO cliffhangers in the Monkey Island series to drive us mad.

1. Ron Gilbert's - Monkey Island 2 cliffhanger

2. Telltale's - Tales of Monkey Island cliffhanger

Why did they do that if they weren't certain that they'd have the license for a sequel? Stupid move.

Since Lucasarts has closed down Tales of Monkey Island might be the final game... and it ends with a cliffhanger...

As much as I want to thank Telltale Games for making a new monkey Island game, I also want to kick them in the balls for the cliffhanger.

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • There are many plot points that aren't explained properly.
    But still, the BIGGEST, the Voodoo Lady plan, hasn't been explained AT ALL.

You can't tell me that her plan wasn't meant to be revealed in a sequel! If that's true it means that Tales had a horrible writing and Telltale was cheating on the Monkey Island fans!

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Please keep it civil. Debating is fine, but don't degrade the topic by resorting to insults.

@Voodoomaster said: Expecially the Voodoo Lady one: if I could also agree about the Galeb fact, your explanation of the Voodoo Lady Master Plan is a big, full work of fantasy.
    I'll admit that I remember the quote as being more absolute, but she does still allude to it in the game. When confronted by Guybrush over the fact that she's been orchestrating the battles between LeChuck and Guybrush over the years, she says that she's just "playing [her] role in a much larger game".

If you look back on her role in Monkey Island 2, you'll find that she does have a sixth sense in regards to the balance of good and evil. She knows that Wally's in danger because she can sense the shift of balance when he's kidnapped by LeChuck.

You'll also find clues towards her helping LeChuck in Monkey Island 2. The box of snakes is sent to LeChuck's fortress from the Voodoo Lady's swamp shack.

• Just gonna say this but The Voodoo Lady has a history of lying and misleading people like how she takes credit for Guybrush killing Lechuck before became a zombie. So it is really that hard to think she told Guybrush 1 lie which her true intensions. After a pirate brings the entire world to its knees and the hero gets the crap beaten out of him and only for him to return after showing he will do anything to stop Lechuck and The Voodoo Lady just decides ''Ya know what, i don't care, i'll let him roam free again. Not like he tried to hunt me down or anything'' Plus why would Voodoo lady have a evil smile and laugh at the end?

• The Voodoo Lady claiming to Largo that she was the one who killed LeChuck, and the Voodoo Lady delivering supplies to LeChuck's fortress, both in Monkey 2, have always fascinated the heck out of me as little plot details which nobody picks up on. Tales may have played it too big, but it's also too interesting a thread to not tug.

• On the topic of The Voodoo Lady lying in MI 2, Didn't she also say she was the one who made the voodoo root beer?

• I wouldn't assume TT ever had a specific story in mind for a 2nd season. Just because TT raised some intriguing questions about the Voodoo Lady's motivations, doesn't mean the team ever actually thought of the answers.

I'd bet that the game designers introduced the Voodoo Lady twist because it was interesting, shocking and yet also not contradictory to the series (see Jennifer and Jake's post).

As far as the specifics of how she was manipulating the forces of good and evil or what she and Morgan's next moves would be, the writers perhaps were just going to make those up when they had to: if they decided to create another game.

• Imho, however, there is no argument or point of discussion that can change the fact that TOMI was clearly made and written with the intention to make a sequel that could continue the story and explain some unexplained point of the plot. And if some fan has his own explanation of these points, or think that "it's not necessary" to explain them, the facts still don't change.
    There are many points in the writing that show that the game was written to have a sequel (first: the cliffhanger. Because if we're talking about the same game, it clearly ends with a cliffhanger.), and I guess that now the TT don't want to make it simply because they changed their plans. And surely not because "the TOMI plot didn't need it", "that's not a cliffhanger" or "there was never meant to be a sequel".

• It was a nice ending. I never really liked stories that try to explain every loose end, I feel that kind of storytelling to be forced and unrealistic. I also wouldn't call it a cliffhnger.

Anyway I hope we'll see a sequel someday and I really hope that TTG won't use up the success of TWD in a stupid way like making games just like that: standing on one foot always leads to a big fall. ToMI was a successful game, TWD was a successful game, I don't see why we couldn't see more from both of those genres.

• The one thing by the way I just now got is this.

Ghost Pirate LeChuck.

Ghost Privateer LeFlay.

Also, LeChuck, from what I heard here, was allegedly killed by the Voodoo Lady.

LeFlay was killed by a man of science.

DeSinge was evil, so, if we go by this, the Voodoo Lady actually is GOOD.

And she's going to die by the hands of Guybrush.

Actually, the first part, LeChuck being a ghost pirate and LeFlay being a ghost privateer was the thing I just figured out. The rest I pieced together just now.

• @GaryCXJk said: The one thing by the way I just now got is this.

Ghost Pirate LeChuck.

Ghost Privateer LeFlay.

Also, LeChuck, from what I heard here, was allegedly killed by the Voodoo Lady.

LeFlay was killed by a man of science.

DeSinge was evil, so, if we go by this, the Voodoo Lady actually is GOOD.

And she's going to die by the hands of Guybrush.

Actually, the first part, LeChuck being a ghost pirate and LeFlay being a ghost privateer was the thing I just figured out. The rest I pieced together just now.

Morgan wasn't killed by De-singe (man of science)
    Remember it was actually Le Chuck...

Add Comment