User Avatar Image

How Do You Feel About Telltale's Direction?

posted by Alcoremortis on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

Just like the good old days, back when a simple discussion of who the best male and female users on the forum were could turn into half the people here changing their avatars to eyevatars... and still seem perfectly natural.

I miss those days.

293 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: See, now, I worded my choices VERY carefully so that every game you could think of as an 'adventure' would fall under one of those four subgenres. I didn't just throw them out willy-nilly. I PLANNED this thing. Like, properly.

You give me an example - anything - and I'll tell you exactly why it's one of those four. Without fail.

Go on. Try me.

the cave it is described as a platformer but the platforming isn't the challenge so??? and scribblenaughts

• @Darth Marsden said: [Classic Adventures; Story Adventures; Puzzle Adventures; and Failed Adventures]

I like that list. It should be added somewhere official.

...like Wikipedia. :)

@Darth Marsden said: Games that make you hunt through numerous pictures to find a certain number of hidden objects shall be known as "Failed Adventures", and can FUCK RIGHT OFF.

What games are you referring to here?

• @Chyron8472 said: What games are you referring to here?

EVERY SINGLE FAILED ADVENTURE GAME EVER. Lazy-ass pieces of shit.

@Chyron8472 said: the cave it is described as a platformer but the platforming isn't the challenge so??? and scribblenaughts

Both The Cave and Scribblenauts are puzzle-platformers. Neither are particularly hard, but that doesn't change their genre.

• @Darth Marsden said: EVERY SINGLE FAILED ADVENTURE GAME EVER. Lazy-ass pieces of shit.

I mean specifically which games? Tiny Bang Story? That's not an adventure game. Especially since it has no directly controllable characters and no ending.

Apparently I haven't played these games, so I don't know what you're on about.

• There's a whole bunch of games who's main selling point - so much so that they proudly proclaim it on the back of the case when sold at retail - to be a 'hidden object game' (the Samantha Swift series is a good example), and for some reason people insist that these are adventure games.

They are not.

Doubly irritating is when previously "Classic" adventures become hidden object games - the Art of Murder and Chronicles of Mystery series both did this.

The thing about hidden object games is that they're cheaper and quicker to make than "Classic" adventure games, so if you're on the lookout for adventure games you'll see quite a few of them lumped into the same category, and THEY ARE NOT PROPER ADVENTURE GAMES.

They may have stories to them, but the stories are usually badly done and just an excuse to get to the next hidden object puzzle, which is why I object to them so much. There's just so bloody many of them...

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Darth Marsden said: Both The Cave and Scribblenauts are puzzle-platformers. Neither are particularly hard, but that doesn't change their genre.

Except The Cave relies on an inventory system, putting it squarely in the adventure genre.

Meaning it should fit in one of your above four genres, and it doesn't.

Neither does Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso or Shenmue (or even the original Colossal Cave Adventure). Like I said, it's pretty much impossible to group adventures into neat little subgenres, since there's so much variation.

• @Darth Marsden said: There's a whole bunch of games who's main selling point - so much so that they proudly proclaim it on the back of the case when sold at retail - to be a 'hidden object game' (the Samantha Swift series is a good example), and for some reason people insist that these are adventure games.

They are not.

there are also loads of facebook games like this, and yes they suck and aren't adventure games, the only similarity between these games and classic adventure games is the pixel scanning/searching for items and i think that particular aspect of classic adventure games is pretty much agreed upon that this was not a good part of the games and highlighted hotspots are used now

• @Darth Marsden said: There's a whole bunch of games who's main selling point - so much so that they proudly proclaim it on the back of the case when sold at retail - to be a 'hidden object game' (the Samantha Swift series is a good example), and for some reason people insist that these are adventure games.

Oh.

Those are casual puzzle games. I personally classify all such games with the other arcade-y style games (such as Peggle or Collapse) in a classification I call "PopCap games".

They're not adventure games at all an shouldn't even be worthy of mention. They might be fun in their own right, but they're the type of game you merely play on a coffee break.

edit: Speaking of which, I would also put the "Coffee Break" minigame from Mario Paint into that same "PopCap game" category if it were actually its own game.

• [Quote="Jennifer"]Except The Cave relies on an inventory system, putting it squarely in the adventure genre.

Meaning it should fit in one of your above four genres, and it doesn't.

Neither does Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso or Shenmue (or even the original Colossal Cave Adventure). Like I said, it's pretty much impossible to group adventures into neat little subgenres, since there's so much variation. [/Quote]Don't think I didn't see that, Jenny!

Allow me to explain why The Cave is a puzzle-platformer. The inventory aspect is no more complex than Cave Story or any number of other platformers, and since you can only carry one object at a time and the solution is PAINFULLY obvious, the puzzles are clearly not the main focus. Which leaves the story, which isn't really there except at the beginning and end, and the gameplay, which is platforming. Hence, puzzle-platformer.

Shenmue isn't an adventure game - it's an action-adventure, the same as Yakuza. Tell me the similarities aren't there.

I'd classify Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso as a puzzle game with an unusually strong narrative, though I haven't played it to verify this. But hey ho.

And wow, we've gone and gotten off-topic again, haven't we. Oops. Some mod I am.

• I only finished Tales a week ago and I'm getting to the point I'm starting to run out of Classic point and clicks games to play...
    I miss Classic adventure games but I still have hope that Telltale will eventually make more...
    I will only lose hope when Sam and Max are moved into the 'Classics' area of the forum...

Still I did enjoy TWD and probably will enjoy Fables but...
    It just isn't the same

Add Comment