User Avatar Image

How Do You Feel About Telltale's Direction?

posted by Alcoremortis on - last edited - Viewed by 4.5K users

Just like the good old days, back when a simple discussion of who the best male and female users on the forum were could turn into half the people here changing their avatars to eyevatars... and still seem perfectly natural.

I miss those days.

293 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If you need more classic adventure games, try some of these. Should keep you going.

  • @Jennifer said: Except The Cave relies on an inventory system, putting it squarely in the adventure genre.

    The Cave has an inventory system? I thought you could only carry one object per person, and if you had to pick up something else, you had to drop the first thing you were carrying.

  • @Chyron8472 said: The Cave has an inventory system? I thought you could only carry one object per person, and if you had to pick up something else, you had to drop the first thing you were carrying.

    That's what she meant. See my rebuttal on the previous page.

  • Thanks quite a few of them look promising especiallly Discworld
    Still it is my birthday tomorrow and I'm getting Day of the Tentacle so that should keep me occupied for a couple of weeks

  • @Darth Marsden said: And wow, we've gone and gotten off-topic again, haven't we. Oops. Some mod I am.


    We're not off-topic. We were talking about how TTG's games are, in fact, adventure games--just a different subgenre of adventure games. Then we were talking about games of other potential adventure game subgenres.

    Though I don't think "Failed Adventures" should be a contender since it's pertains more to peoples' ignorance about the genre than about the games' warrant to be included in it.

    EDIT: Incidentally, I don't remember people ever getting all up in arms about how Dragon's Lair isn't a real game, and it's more QTE than even Jurassic Park is.

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    @Darth Marsden said: Shenmue isn't an adventure game - it's an action-adventure, the same as Yakuza. Tell me the similarities aren't there.

    Yakuza has a bigger emphasis on action (and no inventory outside of weapons to carry), whereas Shenmue has a bigger emphasis on exploration (and has an inventory and puzzles to solve).

    @Darth Marsden said: Allow me to explain why The Cave is a puzzle-platformer. The inventory aspect is no more complex than Cave Story or any number of other platformers, and since you can only carry one object at a time and the solution is PAINFULLY obvious, the puzzles are clearly not the main focus. Which leaves the story, which isn't really there except at the beginning and end, and the gameplay, which is platforming. Hence, puzzle-platformer.


    This is the problem that happens when you try to whittle adventure games down to sub-genres, and is the same thing that's happening with people trying to claim Telltale's games aren't adventures.

    The inventory system has been streamlined in The Cave (much like how it was stream-lined in The Walking Dead), but it's still there. The gameplay is still mostly about using inventory objects on gameworld objects. The platforming aspect is just a control method.

    As for the puzzle's difficulty, like I said, that's never a determinant for genre.

    The story here is obtained through playing each character's tale. You learn what awful thing they are given a choice to do as you're playing the game, and learn the consequences of their choices (either choosing to do that awful thing or to be the better person and not do it). Its lean story, with mainly a beginning and an end (with some story elements learned through playing through to each ending), is much like Maniac Mansion (and that's what Ron was aiming for). The whole game is like a streamlined Maniac Mansion. You could easily change Maniac Mansion to use the game play of The Cave, but that wouldn't mean that Maniac Mansion was no longer an adventure game.

  • @Chyron8472 said: We're not off-topic. We were talking about how TTG's games are, in fact, adventure games--just a different subgenre of adventure games. Then we were talking about games of other potential adventure game subgenres.

    Though I don't think "Failed Adventures" should be a contender since it's pertains more to peoples' ignorance about the genre than about the games' warrant to be included in it.

    In all honesty, "Failed" was just me messing around. Hidden object games are exactly that - "Hidden Object Games". It's an actual genre and I was just taking the piss out of it.

    @Chyron8472 said: Yakuza has a bigger emphasis on action (and no inventory outside of weapons to carry), whereas Shenmue has a bigger emphasis on exploration (and has an inventory and puzzles to solve).

    OK, Yakuza's more action-oriented, but I'd still say they're still the same category.

    @Chyron8472 said: [Snip]

    Again, I'd argue that the weak inventory system and lack of any truly complex puzzles mark this out as a puzzle-platformer than an actual adventure game. I'm not saying all adventure games must have a complex inventory and fantastically difficult puzzles, but they have to be at least somewhat challenging, and I never once got that from The Cave. It just felt like a platformer without any combat and some basic puzzles, and it got old very quickly.

    As well done as the titular Cave was, I never felt it was particularly crucial to listen to any of what he said. There's a basic plot to the game and optional backstory for the characters, but there's no real story to be told, and again, I feel that's a significant aspect that marks it as a puzzle-platformer.

    Now quit arguing with me. I have laid down the law, and if you disagree again I'll be forced to send my attack helicopters to your house. As soon as I can find the keys. Might need to build a metal detector to do that, there's a lot of crap in my room. Now what detects metal? Magnets! And how do we build magnets...

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    @Chyron8472 said: EDIT: Incidentally, I don't remember people ever getting all up in arms about how Dragon's Lair isn't a real game, and it's more QTE than even Jurassic Park is. Is Dragon's Lair an adventure game?


    People have claimed that Dragon's Lair isn't a real game. A lot.

    Dragon's Lair is a game, since you can die if you do nothing (in order to not be a game, your choices would have to be arbitrary... think something made up of nothing but Telltale's dialog system in The Walking Dead (not that I'm saying The Walking Dead isn't a game, since it's obviously more than just it's dialog system, and even then sometimes choosing nothing causes you to die), if you don't choose anything it defaults to (...), but you still get past it and will get to see the ending regardless of choice).

    Dragon's Lair is definitely not an adventure game. The thing that makes Jurassic Park: The Game an adventure game is the sequences of exploration where you have to talk to characters, investigate objects, and manipulate objects in the game's world.

  • @Darth Marsden said: If you need more classic adventure games, try some of these. Should keep you going.

    that reminds me that i would like to see another try at video/photo style classic adventure games like The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery that was awesome and i really like the actor who played Gabriel Knight

    Gabriel_Knight_2_screenshot.png

  • @Jennifer said: Dragon's Lair is a game, since you can die if you do nothing.
    [...]
    Dragon's Lair is definitely not an adventure game.

    Yeah, I'd say Dragon's Lair (and Space Ace, for that matter) is one very long and repetitive minigame. @Jennifer said: that reminds me that i would like to see another try at video/photo style classic adventure games like The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery that was awesome and i really like the actor who played Gabriel Knight.People stopped making those a while back because they were fairly expensive, pretty time consuming and the sub-genre of FMV games had a terrible reputation.

    As far as I'm aware, the last one made was Darkstar in 2011. Give that one a try.

Add Comment